shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you inherited?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What jewelry pieces have you inherited?

Have you had items reset or are they in original form?

Post photos if you have any!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good thing this is a jewelry question!!
3.gif

Most of what I inherited came from Nanny and has been posted on PS... She was the one I got the jewelry/diamond gene from.

I will have to post a ring, I haven''t as of yet. It''s a 12 carat Aquamarine ring, flanked by 3 rb''s on each side. Nanny gave it to me, and I was soooo thrilled. But tis way too huge of a ring for me, so am giving it to DD for her graduation when she marches with her class in May. She loves it, and it suits her well. She likes big rings. She is very tall and has long thin fingers. Kills me!!!
3.gif

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
My parents have given things to me (they''re alive), but I''ve never officially inherited anything. I admire everyone''s heirloom jewelry here.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
All I inherited was a big Italian nose. (thanks grandma)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My parents gave me my paternal grandmother''s cameo ring when I was in college (she died before I was born) and I LOST IT in a dorm move my senior year!
15.gif
38.gif
39.gif

Other than that I haven''t inherited anything. I am happy that most of my grandparents are still alive and well
2.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
A .75ct light pink diamond pear, hopefully someday. We have some really nice gems in my family, my grandparents and father were avid collectors and traveled all over the world to attend various auctions.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing I've inherited is a diamond from my grandfather. He and my parents picked out a setting a couple of years before he passed. I love the ring and I'd never change it! The diamond is 1.80ct VVS2 E. He wore it in a big yellow gold ring in the 70s way before I came along. Here is my attempt at an artistic picture of it:

Pricescope Diamond Picture Burberrygirl2.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a ring Burberry!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 6:14:55 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Good thing this is a jewelry question!!
3.gif

Most of what I inherited came from Nanny and has been posted on PS... She was the one I got the jewelry/diamond gene from.

I will have to post a ring, I haven''t as of yet. It''s a 12 carat Aquamarine ring, flanked by 3 rb''s on each side. Nanny gave it to me, and I was soooo thrilled. But tis way too huge of a ring for me, so am giving it to DD for her graduation when she marches with her class in May. She loves it, and it suits her well. She likes big rings. She is very tall and has long thin fingers. Kills me!!!
3.gif
Kaleigh - you gotta post a photo of the aquamarine ring! I wish I could pull off big fun rings. . .maybe it''s because I''m only 5'' 4" that they look odd on me.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 6:34:31 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
My parents gave me my paternal grandmother''s cameo ring when I was in college (she died before I was born) and I LOST IT in a dorm move my senior year!
15.gif
38.gif
39.gif

Other than that I haven''t inherited anything. I am happy that most of my grandparents are still alive and well
2.gif
What a bummer, Bella. Sorry you lost your ring.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Some emerald studs and a small aquamarine (I think) set and a thick gold band. All yg so not worn but much appriciated.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
1/2 carat diamond from mothers original engagement ring,3 carat white sapphire,15kt. yellow gold mens bracelet,one ounce st gaudins,several american indian jewelry pieces,grand fathers pocket watch,gents black sapphire and diamond ring. 14 kt.gold belt buckel,gold cuff links and tie bar and grandma''s single pearl pendant.The 1/2 carat diamond is waiting to go into a platinum mens ring when plat prices go down.
9.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No inheritances yet, and hopefully none to come for a very long time - my folks fled the old country under bad conditions, so nothing from my grandparent''s generation, and my parents are alive and well (knock wood). However, the jewelry gene most definitely comes from my dad, so hopefully at some point very very far in the future my as-yet-unborn kids will have fun playing with their grandmother''s extensive collection ....

I don''t think I''ll be able to do resets of my mother''s things, ever: and if my kids choose to, I hope they''ll wait till I''m not around. I''m a sap.
39.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have a photo but my girl cousins and I will inherit my grandmother's ring. She had it made from her original diamond, her mother's diamond and two opals (her birthstone) and it is universally known as the most hideous ring EVER but her daughters (who agree it is beyond ugly) won't touch it for sentimental purposes. So it's going to get divided diamond, diamond, opal, opal. Not sure who is getting what, but I'm the oldest so in theory I get first pick haha.

this ring does not deserve to live. The opals are well matched, the diamonds are different sizes and it's like an X with swirls with it like:

D O
O D

Horrible, horrible - a crime against yellow gold jewelry! The opals may be better quality than the diamonds and before anyone gets excited about old diamonds - they're not great lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing, yet. I''ll be getting a couple of lovelies for our wedding, though
1.gif

My family pieces are a strange mix of very very old and very very recent. There''s almost nothing from my grandparents'' generation, but a fair number of older pieces and a ton of newer stuff..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
repeat post :razz:

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few inherited pieces, but I only have pictures of a couple.

Here''s a ring I love. The setting dates to the late 19th century. Originally, it had a diamond and was passed down a couple of generations to the eldest son to use as an engagement ring. My grandmother, however, lost the center diamond, and the ring sat in a box for about 50 years. A few years ago, my mother gave me the setting, and I put a spinel from Dan Stair in it.

ring sedum1.jpg

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s a photo that shows the ornate prongs:

prongs detail2.jpg

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a seed pearl brooch that dates from about 1900. My great-grandmother received it as a gift from her uncle (she was an orphan, and her aunt and uncle raised her). The family thinks it was purchased in Chicago, but we''re not really sure.

Price brooch 009.jpg

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a strand of pearls that belonged to my grandmother and a pendant that was hers as a child. From looking at it with my loupe (plus the fact that it's only set in 10k), I'm pretty sure the stone in the pendant is synthetic.

My sister and I also share a pair of earrings with a tiny diamond set in an ornate gold setting. They were our grandmother's but they're not an inheritance; they're on loan from our mother, and if we don't share nicely she'll take them back! They look Victorian, but my mother is pretty sure my grandmother bought them some time in the 50s.

From our other grandmother, my sister and I have a seed pearl necklace. It's has a circle hanging within a circle, with a bow along the top of the outer circle and a diamond hanging inside the inner circle. The chain fixed to two points along the top of the bow. It's hard to describe but very pretty and very 19th century looking.

There are other things that will come from my mother later - much, much later, I hope. Our favorites among them are a man's diamond ring, my grandmother's diamond cocktail ring, a carved jade ring, and some opal jewelry.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My mom gave me a ring that started off as diamond earrings and then was made into a ring by her great grandmother. I absolutely love it and wouldn''t change a thing about it.

I''ve also inherited my mother-in-laws'' engagement ring, but the center stone is missing. It''s a three stone and the diamonds are about .5 each. My husband and I agreed to put it aside and have it made into a piece of jewelry for our female child/ren (I''m pregnant with a girl, we plan on having 2 kids).

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
OMG I would love that. That is DH's birthstone. I think it is so pretty and it also has meaning to me.

Doh, I forgot to link the quote. I am talking about the huge aquamarine. Yummy.

I dont stand to inherit any jewels. My gram has tons of rings and necklaces. She has some nicer things and also some junk. It is hard to tell which is which since it is all terribly gaudy. She was into bees for a while. She has huge gold bee rings. Probably real believe it or not, but I wouldn't wear it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nothing!!
39.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I inherited a 5 stone diamond ring from my grandmother, who is actually still alive. She wanted to give her stuff away while she was still here. My grandfather gave the ring to her for their 25th anniversary and she had it soldered to her engagement ring (which my twin sister got) for years.

Once I got it I had to take it to the jewelers to get it reshanked and to get all of the prongs redone. My grandmother didn''t take very good care of her rings! She was a midwestern farm girl and has no use for diamonds. She told me that CZs look exactly the same as diamonds so she doesn''t understand why anyone would buy diamonds!
23.gif

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t but my daughter, aged 5, has inherited form her grandmother, who inherited from her grandmother who left Russia in 1919, a pre-revolution Russian enamel and sapphire Faberge locket! Actually my mother-in-law is still very fit and well but she gave this to my daughter for her christening as she is her only granddaughter and she wanted to be sure it went to her as she had it from her own grandmother. It will stay locked up at the bank til my daughter is about 30 I think!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nada!

My grandparents had nothing...but I''m the only girl so I''ll be getting all my Mom''s (shouldnt be soon though)!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clio - beautiful ring!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 9:45:35 AM
Author: tyty333
Nada!

My grandparents had nothing...but I'm the only girl so I'll be getting all my Mom's (shouldnt be soon though)!
My mom gave me all her jewelry (she was alive at the time - I have heard from her in 5+ years - nobody has, so I'm not sure if she's still alive!). The biggest being her .38 eng stone. My grandmother has a 1 ct D VVS1 (or some similar clarity) I would LOVE to have that, but I'm betting it's going to be passed on to my cousin.
7.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 9:43:00 AM
Author: misssoph
I haven't but my daughter, aged 5, has inherited form her grandmother, who inherited from her grandmother who left Russia in 1919, a pre-revolution Russian enamel and sapphire Faberge locket! Actually my mother-in-law is still very fit and well but she gave this to my daughter for her christening as she is her only granddaughter and she wanted to be sure it went to her as she had it from her own grandmother. It will stay locked up at the bank til my daughter is about 30 I think!
It's difficult to pick an age when a jewelry piece should be passed on. I'm thinking age 30, as well. Since I have boys, it will be strange giving them diamonds and I may even put in my will that the diamonds are saved until grandchildren are born.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I got my grandma''s wedding band - it''s a typical 1940s style u-prong 7 stone. My mom got the matching ering and used the center stone to make herself a new ring. I''d attach a pic, but PS doesn''t want to let me right now.

I also got a gigantic marquise cut amethyst in a weird gold setting. I''d like to reset it in another ring, but the stone is almost worthless (it''s man-made amethyst) so I don''t know that I want to spend the money on a setting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results