shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you become apathetic about?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what led you to become apathetic? Would love to hear your thoughts.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Losing interest in the jewelry I own, resetting a bunch or selling them, potentially losing money on them, and breaking even at best. I realized I just like the process/ the hunt. I know many consider that to be a waste of money but I’m ok with it. Plus I’m this way with all my hobbies.

I like orchids. I’ve purged my collection 2x. My current collection is mostly stuff I flew up from HI so I haven’t purged yet, but I’ve sold some and have given some away. I’ve kept chickens for 3-3.5 years at this point and am on coop # 3. I get in and out of fish keeping, have for years. Two or so years ago my new 20 gallon leaked all over my brand new wood flooring and I sold everything I had for next to nothing. Here I am with a 55 and a 10 gallon.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come to realize that all my various enthusiasms/hobbies eventually run their course and burn out.

Whenever I start a new hobby, I like to dive in and learn all I can about it. Inevitably I buy stuff, to pursue the hobby. Sometimes I participate on forums about the hobby. But after years have gone by (often many years), while I may still enjoy the thing itself (in my case, rose bushes, specific gemstones, fragrance, certain porcelain, books by a particular author, etc.) I have learned all I care to learn about it, have discussed all I care to discuss with fellow-enthusiasts, and have bought all I care to own. I begin to feel stagnant.

Then it's time to do something new. Why stagnate? Life is too short.

This is my new thing, stuck as we are at home. I just bought this set of 120 Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils in this beautiful wooden case, and am starting to learn how to use them, to blend colors, and draw. I have a few books and am watching instructive YouTube videos. I also got the same brand's Albrect Dürer "Magnus" watercolor pencils, and plan to get more colors, and better watercolor paper. An early Christmas and Birthday present to me, :mrgreen:. My daughter is more the natural artist than I am, and we are enjoying using the pencils together, chatting as we draw and color. Mother-daughter bonding time. We even bought some cool adult coloring books.

Will this new hobby last forever? No chance, but hopefully for some years to come. It's relaxing, and mood elevating-- and it's helping us stay sane during this stressful year. It's a break from the steady drone of negativity in the news. And maybe learning how to do new things will help me keep more of my brain cells as I age. :D

Faber-Castell Polychromos pencil set.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely go through cycles of what I am passionate about and what doesn't excite me anymore.

I love bling obviously but the past month or so it hasn't really been on my mind nor have I been excited by it. Life challenges get in the way though much of the time I find bling a happy distraction. This period of time it hasn't been a distraction for me.

Cycling is one of my favorite passions and so far I haven't gone through cycles (haha) of not being excited by cycling but for me being outdoors is the number one mood booster. With dreary cold weather upon us it is getting harder to get out there and cycle and my mood shifts accordingly. I do have a lot on my mind so it makes it even harder not to be able to cycle as a big distraction. Today we are going out cycling despite the cold weather because it is supposed to be sunnier today so I am looking forward to that as I am very anxious about tomorrow and my DH's kidney stone removal under general anesthesia tomorrow at the hospital.

Another passion of mine is working with rescue animals but since Covid 19 all I have been able to do is remote work for them and increasing my donations to our favorite animal rescue charities. We do take care of our ferals however and that brings me joy. I will never become (I hope) apathetic about that. It is also one big reason I am not sure we can ever sell this house and move. Who would care for all our ferals here? We have a great setup for them but it is an expense and time commitment and it would be hard to find someone to take that over. But I digress.

Listening to music is another passion I have never been apathetic about and I do not see myself becoming apathetic about. No matter my mood listening to something I love makes me feel better about things.

Exercising is something I don't always feel super excited about but no matter what I push myself to do it for my health. Mental/emotional and physical well being. No matter how I am feeling (ie not feeling like working out) I negotiate with myself. OK just do a little workout and by the time I start and have done a bit of my workout I already feel better. Working out is a mood booster and generally helps my overall sense of well being.

Connecting with nature is also a big apathy buster for me. Just taking a hike/walk and breathing in fresh air and moving makes a difference. I also find laughter a good tool. I find humor where I can and appreciate it and appreciate perspective too. Sometimes that can be hard to do but it is often worthwhile to try finding humor in a challenging situation and putting things into perspective if that is possible.

What might cause me to become apathetic about something? If I lose hope about the future and become worn down about life in general. When I feel myself getting down about things I feel an indifference creeping in that I don't like. So what I do is let myself feel sad (about whatever is getting me down) and then I work out possible solutions/outcomes in my mind and generally I feel a bit better and I move forward. But even if I don't see happy outcomes I just allow myself to feel whatever I am feeling and eventually I move forward and start taking an interest in things again if you kwim.

What keeps me going in life is having things/people we are passionate about and things/events/experiences to look forward to and reaching out and helping others goes a long way in making me feel better about things. Covid 19 has made life more challenging for almost everyone but I know the pandemic will end eventually and hopefully things will get brighter. Right now the numbers (at least here and many other place I know of) are dire and it is very serious but I hold onto hope and I know with the vaccine and time we will get out of this dark period.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just writing my thoughts down as they come to me. Not re-reading it (I need coffee desperately lol) so I apologize for the less than cohesive post and any typos.

Sending hugs to everyone who needs and wants them and good wishes for all.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Losing interest in the jewelry I own, resetting a bunch or selling them, potentially losing money on them, and breaking even at best. I realized I just like the process/ the hunt. I know many consider that to be a waste of money but I’m ok with it. Plus I’m this way with all my hobbies.

I like orchids. I’ve purged my collection 2x. My current collection is mostly stuff I flew up from HI so I haven’t purged yet, but I’ve sold some and have given some away. I’ve kept chickens for 3-3.5 years at this point and am on coop # 3. I get in and out of fish keeping, have for years. Two or so years ago my new 20 gallon leaked all over my brand new wood flooring and I sold everything I had for next to nothing. Here I am with a 55 and a 10 gallon.
I can totally relate with the jewelry. It’s so exciting to hunt and plan and even to wear for a while and just like that—the novelty wears off. Sigh. But never fear, the urge will strike again!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come to realize that all my various enthusiasms/hobbies eventually run their course and burn out.

Whenever I start a new hobby, I like to dive in and learn all I can about it. Inevitably I buy stuff, to pursue the hobby. Sometimes I participate on forums about the hobby. But after years have gone by (often many years), while I may still enjoy the thing itself (in my case, rose bushes, specific gemstones, fragrance, certain porcelain, books by a particular author, etc.) I have learned all I care to learn about it, have discussed all I care to discuss with fellow-enthusiasts, and have bought all I care to own. I begin to feel stagnant.

Then it's time to do something new. Why stagnate? Life is too short.

This is my new thing, stuck as we are at home. I just bought this set of 120 Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils in this beautiful wooden case, and am starting to learn how to use them, to blend colors, and draw. I have a few books and am watching instructive YouTube videos. I also got the same brand's Albrect Dürer "Magnus" watercolor pencils, and plan to get more colors, and better watercolor paper. An early Christmas and Birthday present to me, :mrgreen:. My daughter is more the natural artist than I am, and we are enjoying using the pencils together, chatting as we draw and color. Mother-daughter bonding time. We even bought some cool adult coloring books.

Will this new hobby last forever? No chance, but hopefully for some years to come. It's relaxing, and mood elevating-- and it's helping us stay sane during this stressful year. It's a break from the steady drone of negativity in the news. And maybe learning how to do new things will help me keep more of my brain cells as I age. :D

Faber-Castell Polychromos pencil set.jpeg

Your post has inspired me!!! I am excited for your new hobby! I hope we get to see some pics!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I can totally relate with the jewelry. It’s so exciting to hunt and plan and even to wear for a while and just like that—the novelty wears off. Sigh. But never fear, the urge will strike again!

Ugh yes. Sometimes I have to remind myself that what I have is fantastic and I’m lucky.

But I will say, it did bother me until I realized I’m that way with absolutely everything. I was going to purge my orchid collection again and realized that I’m the worst.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I will be sending positive energy so that everything goes smoothly for your darling husband. Try to set your mind at ease—You’ve got this! Imagine how much better he will feel after! And I’ve seen pics of you—you are in perfect shape! No need to do additional exercise besides your cycling! It’s amazing how much you guys bike!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am apathetic about housekeeping. I hate the dust and and and and but honestly cleaning, cooking and tidying is SO low on my agenda thee days.

cheers--Sharon

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
HI:

I am apathetic about housekeeping. I hate the dust and and and and but honestly cleaning, cooking and tidying is SO low on my agenda thee days.

cheers--Sharon

Do you have a roomba? It’s only vacuuming (although some of those robots can mop). Have to say, it definitely helps and is, IMO, worth the money. I have to do the majority of the housework so any extra assistance is appreciated.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Omg!! This! Was me yesterday. I finally got up and did it and I felt soooo accomplished. Lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg!! This! Was me yesterday. I finally got up and did it and I felt soooo accomplished. Lol

I know.....I need a participation trophy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a roomba? It’s only vacuuming (although some of those robots can mop). Have to say, it definitely helps and is, IMO, worth the money. I have to do the majority of the housework so any extra assistance is appreciated.

Nope no roomba!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely go through cycles of what I am passionate about and what doesn't excite me anymore.

I love bling obviously but the past month or so it hasn't really been on my mind nor have I been excited by it. Life challenges get in the way though much of the time I find bling a happy distraction. This period of time it hasn't been a distraction for me.

Cycling is one of my favorite passions and so far I haven't gone through cycles (haha) of not being excited by cycling but for me being outdoors is the number one mood booster. With dreary cold weather upon us it is getting harder to get out there and cycle and my mood shifts accordingly. I do have a lot on my mind so it makes it even harder not to be able to cycle as a big distraction. Today we are going out cycling despite the cold weather because it is supposed to be sunnier today so I am looking forward to that as I am very anxious about tomorrow and my DH's kidney stone removal under general anesthesia tomorrow at the hospital.

Another passion of mine is working with rescue animals but since Covid 19 all I have been able to do is remote work for them and increasing my donations to our favorite animal rescue charities. We do take care of our ferals however and that brings me joy. I will never become (I hope) apathetic about that. It is also one big reason I am not sure we can ever sell this house and move. Who would care for all our ferals here? We have a great setup for them but it is an expense and time commitment and it would be hard to find someone to take that over. But I digress.

Listening to music is another passion I have never been apathetic about and I do not see myself becoming apathetic about. No matter my mood listening to something I love makes me feel better about things.

Exercising is something I don't always feel super excited about but no matter what I push myself to do it for my health. Mental/emotional and physical well being. No matter how I am feeling (ie not feeling like working out) I negotiate with myself. OK just do a little workout and by the time I start and have done a bit of my workout I already feel better. Working out is a mood booster and generally helps my overall sense of well being.

Connecting with nature is also a big apathy buster for me. Just taking a hike/walk and breathing in fresh air and moving makes a difference. I also find laughter a good tool. I find humor where I can and appreciate it and appreciate perspective too. Sometimes that can be hard to do but it is often worthwhile to try finding humor in a challenging situation and putting things into perspective if that is possible.

What might cause me to become apathetic about something? If I lose hope about the future and become worn down about life in general. When I feel myself getting down about things I feel an indifference creeping in that I don't like. So what I do is let myself feel sad (about whatever is getting me down) and then I work out possible solutions/outcomes in my mind and generally I feel a bit better and I move forward. But even if I don't see happy outcomes I just allow myself to feel whatever I am feeling and eventually I move forward and start taking an interest in things again if you kwim.

What keeps me going in life is having things/people we are passionate about and things/events/experiences to look forward to and reaching out and helping others goes a long way in making me feel better about things. Covid 19 has made life more challenging for almost everyone but I know the pandemic will end eventually and hopefully things will get brighter. Right now the numbers (at least here and many other place I know of) are dire and it is very serious but I hold onto hope and I know with the vaccine and time we will get out of this dark period.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just writing my thoughts down as they come to me. Not re-reading it (I need coffee desperately lol) so I apologize for the less than cohesive post and any typos.

Sending hugs to everyone who needs and wants them and good wishes for all.

Missy I did not realize Greg's surgery is tomorrow. I know how stressful it will be. I will be keeping you both in my prayers. I'm really glad you got out cycling today to get some fresh air and keep your mind off of it.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have media fatigue, getting overwhelmed by constant negativity is actually making me feel apathetic towards the issues raised. Does that make sense? I try to read/watch a variety of sources to gain a diverse opinion but I feel often the media is alarmist just to gain coverage. Only so many times I can hear “alarm bells” before you start to get somewhat skeptic or just plan exhausted by it all....

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I think I have media fatigue, getting overwhelmed by constant negativity is actually making me feel apathetic towards the issues raised. Does that make sense? I try to read/watch a variety of sources to gain a diverse opinion but I feel often the media is alarmist just to gain coverage. Only so many times I can hear “alarm bells” before you start to get somewhat skeptic or just plan exhausted by it all....

THIS. I’m feeling the same....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Missy I did not realize Greg's surgery is tomorrow. I know how stressful it will be. I will be keeping you both in my prayers. I'm really glad you got out cycling today to get some fresh air and keep your mind off of it.

I didn’t either @missy. I’ll keep him in my special prayers tomorrow. And you too, so that you don’t stress too much while waiting. Please let us know when it’s over and Greg’s recovering well.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I will keep you both in my prayers tomorrow.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve become apathetic about cancel culture. I’ve always leaned towards separating the art from the artist, but recently I’m apathetic about reading about such incidents. Sigh.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

This does make sense. Our viewership is a commodity that is bought and sold. Like mice in a lab, we push that bar for the pellet. We are motivated by fear, lust, anger, outrage, curiosity...so we click. But in an outrageous world, the escalated story gains our attention. But we're growing sick of too much sensationalism without substance.

I have reduced my social media - I just can't stomach the manipulation by everything that has ratings, viewership or products to sell.

Add very real issues like a deadly plague and it's burn out time.

dumpster fire.jpg

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
@missy keeping you both in my prayers hope everything went smoothly and he will have an easy and speedy recovery XO

Lula

Ideal_Rock
@missy keeping you both in my prayers hope everything went smoothly and he will have an easy and speedy recovery XO
it appears that her posts have disappeared.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I will be sending positive energy so that everything goes smoothly for your darling husband. Try to set your mind at ease—You’ve got this! Imagine how much better he will feel after! And I’ve seen pics of you—you are in perfect shape! No need to do additional exercise besides your cycling! It’s amazing how much you guys bike!

Thank you @nala. Unfortunately I have OP so I do have to workout with weights and weight bearing exercise as cycling isn't weight bearing but I appreciate your kind comments. And Greg is A OK besides being uncomfortable with the stent the surgeon had to put in his you know what. He has a constant pressure to pee now but hopefully he can get the stent removed relatively soon. Last December (after the same surgery) he had to have the stent in for 6 months due to Covid delaying its removal.

Thanks @OdetteOdile your good wishes are so appreciated. He is doing OK. Surgery was yesterday. I explained above to Nala that he's a bit uncomfortable because he now has a stent but he's doing OK.

I didn’t either @missy. I’ll keep him in my special prayers tomorrow. And you too, so that you don’t stress too much while waiting. Please let us know when it’s over and Greg’s recovering well.

Thank you so much @yennyfire, I appreciate your well wishes. He is at home and recovering and doing OK.

@missy Sending prayers to you & Greg.

Thank you @mom2dolls. Much appreciated.

@missy I will keep you both in my prayers tomorrow.

Thanks @House Cat the surgery went well yesterday. The surgeon called me and told me the stone was 9mm and all I could think was dayum why can't Greg have kidney diamonds haha.

Thank you so much @Cluless. XO.

I am sorry for the threadjack but appreciate all the well wishes and kind comments.

Hugs to everyone.

THIS. I’m feeling the same....

I have reduced my social media - I just can't stomach the manipulation by everything that has ratings, viewership or products to sell.

Same. I cannot watch the news and some social media too. All the doom and gloom is stressful and weighing heavily on my mind. I don't know if it is apathy so much as just a self protective mechanism. I know my limits and for now no more news for me.

I’ve become apathetic about cancel culture. I’ve always leaned towards separating the art from the artist, but recently I’m apathetic about reading about such incidents. Sigh.

Agree. Not sure it is apathy as much as exhaustion and just too much already. For me. I keep repeating to myself one day at a time. One hour at a time. Deep breaths.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@missy that’s great news about Greg! Thanks for updating us...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @missy that stent sounds like a pain! Hopefully it’s removed soon! But glad all went well!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exercise! I had to have a third spine surgery in September. Before it I could not exercise for months as it was too painful. And my left leg wasn’t working. Now that I’ve been ok’d to swim, walk and bike ride, I have no motivation. But I’m gearing up right now to go for a long walk. Grrrrrr..... how do I get my motivation back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results