shape
carat
color
clarity

What happened to my gold?

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
After reading the thread on replating WG I decided to take a look at my WG jewelry and see if it was wearing. I put all my pieces. not at one time, in the cleaner, and when I took my ruby ring out I noticed this discoloration on the side. After looking at my ring up close and personal I realize it needs a good polish, but would any of you good folk out there have any idea what I did to it? It was the Conossoir{sp} liquid cleaner the one with the little basket and brush. The ring was in wih other yellow gold rings. I do not recall it being there before the cleaning.
Do you think I ruined my ring?

whathappened2.jpg

ruby1.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Have you used that ring in the cleaner before? are you sure it's real gold?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks like tarnish to me?

alloys - copper, silver - can react, though the gold itself won't. I'd try some cheapy silver polish - should do the trick, if not one application and a little rubbing isn't going to hurt anything.

I personally hate that cleaner... at first it made things look clean, but over time everything got dull and needed a better cleaning. I would nix that and just use soap and a baby toothbrush.

I don't think it would hurt to have the ring polished up either.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would nix that leaner as it has ammonium in it and use dawn detergent and hot water. Bring the ring to a trusted jeweler for polishing.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1311905163|2979451 said:
looks like tarnish to me?

alloys - copper, silver - can react, though the gold itself won't. I'd try some cheapy silver polish - should do the trick, if not one application and a little rubbing isn't going to hurt anything.
YEAH YESSIE!!!!!!! :appl:
It worked !I used a dab of Weimans silver polish and rubbed and voila shiny and all clear. This ring was a custom made ring for my 30th birthday, 25 years ago. It was supposed to be my ering reset but my dear hubby comissioned a ruby in the middle instead, so for my birthday that year I got 2 rings!! It has never been repolished or had anything done to it and by looking at the upclose pics it needs a polish!
It is funny, I had never seen channel set diamonds before this ring was made and over the years I have worked with 3 other teachers who have a version of this ring, one with a sapphire, one with a diamond and a third actually has an opal as a center stone.
Could this have happened because I put my disney ring in at the same time and it YG/WG two tone?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results