shape
carat
color
clarity

What Food Plans Have worked For You?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

squarepants

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I would like to lose some weight by the end of the year. Would like to try to lose at least 10 pounds per month. Does that seem safe and feasible? I've tried WW off and on for years and had some good results, unfortunately the pounds came back. Has anyone tried the caveman plan and what is it exactly? Thanks!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
What is your current daily diet like and do you exercise?

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Q: I HAVE SALADS FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY, AND I’M STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
You are starving yourself.

Read "The Fast Metabolism Diet" by Haylie Pomroy, buy the phone app, go grocery shopping and start it next Monday.

I have worked in the wellness industry since 1987. This good science, easy to follow, quick results eating plan is the plan I recommend for all of my clients. I currently have six clients, not including my husband and sister, using it, and all are having remarkable results in just a few short weeks. It works because it changes your attitude toward and your relationship with food.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with the above mentioned author or her meal plan. I receive no compensation of any kind for recommending her book and/or her plan.

Last edited:

Lisa777

Rough_Rock
If you want to lose weight, it is important to lose more calories than you gain during the day.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It's all about tracking your calories and exercise. I would slowly ramp-up the changes, so it's more sustainable. Focus on eating smaller portions, fruits and vegetables, less sugar and processed foods, no alcohol. I think 1 pound per week is probably more realistic (may even be too aggressive), but will depend on the individual and behaviors. Best of luck!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eat smaller portions and exercise more, works everytime.

I have to cut down on sugar, carbs and fat nowadays, however I am not cutting them out completely, just eat less of them.

DK :))

SheriGoddart33

Rough_Rock
I tried a lot of diets, but the most intuitive diet worked for me. I think this is the best I've tried

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Intermittent fasting 16/8 has helped me from gaining too much weight in menopause. You might be able to incorporate this with your diet plan.

Q

Queenie60

Weight Watchers online worked for me. And ramping up cardio exercise. However, I strongly believe that each of us are very different. What works for one doesn't always work for another, there's a "recipe" for everyone. I don't believe in starving yourself, just be aware of everything you put into your mouth and logging your food in some fashion is very helpful.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost around 20-30 pounds last year by counting carbs and avoiding grains and starches and obviously fattening foods. High protein eggs and meat and fats from cheese and of course veggies. My only real sweet fix was from fresh fruits. The 12-16/ intermittent fasting was added later.I increased my walking by adding walks during lunch hour and after work. I am not a fan of cardio as I get winded easily and I have arthritis so I have to protect my joints. I am over 60 years old. I had gained weight over 30 years by simply over eating mass quantities of food. I also would have a cocktail (+) every night of whisky and ginger ale or a vodka screwdriver with orange juice which was pure carbs. So on my 60th bday (May 2019) I started my first ever diet. I told everyone that I knew so they would keep me honest and provide support. I went off the diet during my August vacation of two weeks and found it hard to get back. But I did until the holiday season of thanksgiving and Christmas. I again ate large. I restarted the diet after the new year and did well until quarantine. I again ate large and enjoyed my cocktails. So my bday just passed and I have just restarted the diet again. I feel good about myself when I make it through the day without cheating.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Day two of my diet and I am still hanging in there. My post above may not be clear. I feast on high protein foods such as eggs and all types of meat. I eat canned tuna fish with a dollop of mayo and plenty of chopped celery and onion.I eat fats from dairy - mostly cheese sour cream and cream cheese. Nuts are also a good source of fat and some protein. Right now my body is craving carbs in a sweet form Such as ice cream, or pastry. I will eat a piece of fruit which is high carb but I feel I am getting essential vitamins and minerals from fruit so it is a good choice. As I am addicted to salty snacks such as potato chips or Cheetos I substitute these with vine flavored pork rinds. Sounds gross but it satisfies the crunch and salt cravings while the vinegar takes the barnyard flavor out of the rinds. I do not miss the alcohol and I drink sparkling water with a tablespoon of apple cider vine and a lemon wedge. I have one cup of fresh black coffee in the morning. When I was at work I would drink a lot of herbal teas. Now not so much. I refuse to weigh myself as I can tell if it is working by how my clothes fit. I will do so probably after one month.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what has worked for me. A diet of 60 to 70% vegetables and 30 to 40% protein. No bread, no pasta, no rice, and no white potatoes. Over the last year my tastes have changed and I prefer the vegetables over meat and cheese. I count every calorie and decide how many calories I need based on my planned activity level for the day. If I eat too much one day, I adjust and eat less the next or occasionally fast for a day or two. I take a multi-vitamin and a B-Complex vitamin daily. I exercise daily.

To determine how many calories I need to maintain my weight I used a calorie counter based on the weight I like to be at that adjusts to your activity level. It took some experimenting because I learned most calorie counters were not accurate and list a much higher amount of calories than needed. That of course is a bummer- to find out that you really need much less calories than the standard 2k recommendation.

It gets easier and harder over time. For example, counting calories gets very easy. Avoiding carbs is a breeze. But once you lose visceral fat and start to lose subcutaneous fat your body fights back and releases hormones that increase your hunger. You look thin, but feel like you are starving at times. Supposedly your body adjusts to this in a year. I haven't found this to be true. For me - trying to lose a pound or two now is brutal because there is no visceral fat, only subcutaneous fat to lose. But if I gain 2 pounds, I reduce my calorie intake to 800 calories until I lose them again. It is the only way I have been able to maintain my weight consistently.

Wish it was easier.

The only sustainable way to lose weight is to make long lasting lifestyle changes, not go on diets. Put it this way: if eating a certain way made you a certain size, and then eating a different way made you lose weight, how on Earth can you go back to eating the first way without regaining weight? The difference between a normal weight and fairly overweight can often be only 200-300 kcal a day, especially if you’re a short, sedentary woman.

I lost around 80lbs in 2 years through sustained lifestyle changes and have kept it off for around 2 years and counting (lost another few lbs in my maintenance phase). I might want to lose some more vanity lbs (another 10 maybe), those are slowly going. The way I shifted my mindset was the following two questions: “what are the sacrifices I am willing to make to lose weight? And what are the sacrifices I am not willing to make?”

I didn’t want to exercise when I first started trying to lose, because I was morbidly obese and exercise was difficult. So that was out (it’s now back in, since I now love exercise). I love cheese, can’t imagine my life without it, so I didn’t want to give that up. So that stayed. I figured I can live without starches and simple carbs, so those went.
I eat in a light IF pattern of eating my meals in a 8-9h window (I skip breakfast, eat an early light lunch and a big dinner, and have coffee in the evening). I eat meats and seafood, eggs in huge quantities, good quality cheese, lots and lots and lots of veggies, fruits in small quantities as dessert, certain grains, dark chocolate if I have a serious craving, nuts and seeds and nut flour for baking, stevia/erythritol instead of sugar; water, plain soda water and the occasional diet soda for liquids. I rarely drink alcohol but when I do I have either straight spirits or water/plain soda water with it. I don’t eat wheat, sugar, honey, rice or corn. I don’t consume polyunsaturated fats to keep my omega 6 levels in check, so no hydrogenated or unnaturally derived vegetable oils like canola. The only “cheats” I have are eating out once in a while, but even then I don’t consume wheat or rice etc.

I’m a lot healthier and happier. I get blood tests done once a year as part of my general check up and my cholesterol, blood sugar, kidney function, hormones and vitamin levels are all normal. And I’m glad I took charge of my health at a reasonably young age!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love food. So portion control isn’t my thing. I eat more veggies and fruit and less protein though I have to increase that for my bone health.

I don’t deprive myself of anything I want to eat as long as I’m not intolerant of it. I eat mainly AIP for my autoimmune conditions. I can’t do gluten or soy or dairy or nuts or beans/seeds. The last two hurt because I used to eat lots of nuts and seeds and beans. But it’s not that hard once you’re used to not eating certain foods.

I love cycling and working out so I’m very active and that helps. However I’m hypothyroid so that means I have a slow metabolism. Despite that I’m doing ok weight wise and I do the best I can health wise. There’s only so much I can control and I’m still working with my endocrinologist on finding the right meds combo for my low thyroid.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When i was younger i counted calories, avoided all sugar and fat religiously and vigorously over exercised
It really wasn't healthy
Despite not fitting any of my nice clothes i have no desire to go back to that nonsense
NINTCHDBPICT000506359372-e1563400382813.jpg

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
When i was younger i counted calories, avoided all sugar and fat religiously and vigorously over exercised
It really wasn't healthy
Despite not fitting any of my nice clothes i have no desire to go back to that nonsense
NINTCHDBPICT000506359372-e1563400382813.jpg

A nutritionist doctor said that avoiding sugar and bad oils and taking lots of Vitamin C would really make our body healthy and stronger immune system and makes our skin younger. Coconut oil is the most healthy oil. And I am taking these advice. :D

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I've finally gotten off the diet merry-go-round by changing my eating habits permanently.

It was a huge change of habits to get used to and uncomfortable at first but now I don't even like a lot of the types of foods I used to eat.

Also, since I'm not used to much fat anymore, when I do eat something with a lot of fat in it, I usually get a stomach ache, so I won't be quick to do it again. (I'm not sure why but maybe someone else will know).

I eat mainly whole, unprocessed foods, often raw. I consume very little sugar, salt, oil/fat (of any kind) and animal products. I've also cut out alcohol. My diet is mainly fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and beans. Also, lots of water.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now. I had to learn to prepare food all over again, flavoring with spices and fresh herbs rather than salt and fat/oil etc. That's what makes the difference between the whole plant-based food meals being dreary or delicious.

Now I stay thin effortlessly and have greatly improved results in my blood tests, like lower cholesterol, without the meds. Also, our grocery bills are a fraction of what they used to be.

If anyone is interested, "Forks Over Knives" is a good place to start. It's extremely strict though, so I've settled into a slightly relaxed version of it for the long haul. :)

Last edited:

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
I've finally gotten off the diet merry-go-round by changing my eating habits permanently.

It was a huge change of habits to get used to and uncomfortable at first but now I don't even like a lot of the types of foods I used to eat.

Also, since I'm not used to much fat anymore, when I do eat something with a lot of fat in it, I usually get a stomach ache, so I won't be quick to do it again. (I'm not sure why but maybe someone else will know).

I eat mainly whole, unprocessed foods, often raw. I consume very little sugar, salt, oil/fat (of any kind) and animal products. I've also cut out alcohol. My diet is mainly fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and beans. Also, lots of water.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now. I had to learn to prepare food all over again, flavoring with spices and fresh herbs rather than salt and fat/oil etc. That's what makes the difference between the whole plant-based food meals being dreary or delicious.

Now I stay thin effortlessly and have greatly improved results in my blood tests, like lower cholesterol, without the meds. Also, our grocery bills are a fraction of what they used to be.

If anyone is interested, "Forks Over Knives" is a good place to start. It's extremely strict though, so I've settled into a slightly relaxed version of it for the long haul. :)

Good for you. I find it a bit hard to really avoid meat, but we/I dont eat meat that much. I admire your preparation with no or less salt and oil. I am beginning to learn how to cook using natural flavoring such as spices and herbs. And I think it is a long way to go.

Mind sharing tips?...Hmm especially that I need to really lose weight :(

Thanks in advance, would appreciate it so much.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 6-monthly check up revealed my diabetic was in control and steady, however, my cholesterol was high.

Trying to cut down on the double cream and I am switching to hot milk in my morning cup of coffee instead to see how that goes.

DK :))

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks this thread is from 2013 so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results