shape
carat
color
clarity

What EGL lab is this from?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnnaLea

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am looking at buying a diamond that is on Ebay, but the EGL certificate number starts with the letter AU and has 6 numbers following. I know already it is not EGL USA because of the letters. Anyone know anything about this???

Thanks,
Lea Ann

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Belgium.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver
www.gemlab.us

AnnaLea

Rough_Rock
What do you know about EGL (Belgium) and their grading? I am gonna give you the link to the diamonds in question and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10216&item=4916075538

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10216&item=4916075544

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Just remember, you get what you pay for...

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
EDIT: this is about the first diamond on the list. my brain skipped stright over the second for some reason

I ran those numbers on the cert through the cut advisor, but a) I had to guess at the cutlet and b) the HCA isn't as accurate with percentages as with angles. I ended up with vg/vg/vg/vg 2.4. It's not a great cut, not a terrible cut.

However, just looking at those pictures on the aution there are some very apparent inclusions, the kind you can't just put a prong over and forget about. There may even be feathers near the girdle, which could represent a durability risk.

So, I'm not an all an expert, but I'd reccomend taking it stright to an independent appraiser if you do buy it. You also may not be saving very much money, if you look at what shows up on pricescope in the G-H SI1-2 range. (I seem to remember EGL Antwerp being soft on colour, but I may not remember correctly, so search around)

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
ok, this is about the second one.

I had to guess again on the cutlet, and the grading varied a bit based on it. basically, the 1.44 looks like a better cut, and looks closer to eye-clean (though maybe it's just me, but it looks like there's a pretty big feather in the 4:00 position on the bottom right picture, right at the edge of the table).

This one looks like a bit better deal than the first one, but still nothing really killer in terms of price. Like Wonka said, you get what you pay for -- if you know what you're doing. Take it to an independent appraiser if you get it, and put it through its paces. It looks like it could be quite pretty, though.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
If I HAD to choose one of those, I would also go with #2. I didn't care for the inclusions on the first one at all.
14.gif

I would personally shop around a little more.
read.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lee Ann,

Dont do it. You can find a better diamond, at a beter price by starting with the pricescope search engine. There are dozens of real dealers with real stones who will fall all over themselves to get you what you want for a fair price.

Neil Beaty GG, ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Way to step up and say what need to be said about these items, denverappraiser!

Unless the buyer is so fixated on size...then I can only say "buyer beware"

AnnaLea

Rough_Rock
I am starting to agree. I thought something was awful funny about the price and them saying that both diamonds were "eye clean", when they certainly didn't appear to be. I was just hoping that maybe they had dirty lenses on their camera-LOL! I guess we are all in search of that great deal, but I agree I don't think it's gonna be found on Ebay.
I have a 1 ct. Si1 G -and it IS eye clean. So, with upgrading, I want something at least as clear, and white as what I have if not better. I am like alot of the other women around here, I have diamond shrinkage syndrome. I am glad there is a name for it-LOL!

Thanks so much for the input! So glad I came here for advice.

Thanks again!

Lea Ann
wink2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 sounds quite nice. I wish I knew more about this Ebay shop but I do not. usually, all you need to know about these guys is if their return period works and you can count to get your money back in case of a miss. An EGL piece with good proportions sounds like a deal. The price is indeed in line with GIA pieces listed on PS's list - but GIA cerst do not give those crucial numbers... and there are no pics (let alone such good ones) of the stones. So, this far, there is no detraction I can see about the Ebay supplier, except that Pricescope knows nothing of them!

Again pricewise, the quote seems quite a bit less than what a H&A might fetch but the more tempting is the weight just under that 1.5cts mark. All in all, an appraisal during the return period should really help sort things out if the stone does not look convincing by itself
5.gif

Just my 0.2, of course.

And... I definitely like their presentation (cert + pics)
1.gif
Hope it is not too good!

Now, there do seem to be some non H&A with known good proportions on list around PS that would be contenders to the Ebay stone, such as the three G color rounds on the WF Expert selection (one G-SI and two G-VS1 near the price of the Ebay piece but about 1.25 cts). It does not seem easy to find stones with known good proportions, no H&A pedigree and premium and a decent presentation though
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results