shape
carat
color
clarity

What does "RHR" mean to you?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you associate any specific styles as being particularly appropriate for the right hand? If so, which ones, why, and, post pics for examples?

In quite a few threads recently, I've seen people specifying that they want to (re)set stones in settings that don't look "engagement-y," and I figured it'd be fun to define our terms. For me, anything outside of a straight-up traditional Tiffany six-prong solitaire works for a non-engagement ring, and, frankly, if I saw a lady wearing one of those on the middle finger of her right hand, I probably wouldn't suffer any confusion. I guess for me, it's more about where you're wearing it than about any specifics particular to the ring. What about y'all?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RHR = BLING!

So threestone, 5stone, halo, cluster, eternity... pretty much anything other than simple solitaire.

Hmm, correction - RHR = BLING! not present on LH.

Um. More correction - RHR = *more* BLING! than present on LH. Yeah, I guess that sums it up for me.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Any ring that's not my engagement ring. I'm not fussed about my engagement ring being the only engagement-y ring I wear. Quite often I will wear another solitaire right next to it on my middle finger.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, absolutely anything that is not a three stone, because that's what my e-ring is, plus I prefer my RHRs to not overpower my e-ring, I like her to be centre stage. So solitaires, eternities, 5 stones, 7 stones, halos... anything!!
Gimme gimme :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a simple solitaire or, for me anything that's too ... I don't know how to say it other than "engagement-y" For me a diamond center and tapered baguettes is too much like an engagement ring. I like more to something for my right hand. Even if it's something SOMEONE would love as an engagement ring I don't want it to look like what comes to my mind when someone says "engagement ring"... there's no way to describe it better than that, I'm afraid.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond solitaire RHR that absolutely could be a modest engagement ring if I switched hands. Shrug. I knew, when I had my diamond set in it, that there was some risk people would think it's an e-ring, and they occasionally do. When I get my LH honker, the confusion will be absolved :Up_to_something:

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
For me it is oversized costume jewelry (I have a HUGE Chanel blingy ring :D ) or right now I have a few ruby & diamond stack bands (my daughters birthstone) .... Gemstone rings, 3 or 5 stone rings, anything non engagement ring looking :twirl:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, although I wear tasteful (small) rings on my right hand most of the time, I tend to think of right hand rings as something like cocktails rings. Something about them is 'too much' for everyday wear--huge center stones in not very convenient shapes (like marquises or pears with edges to break off); can be diamonds but also can be the various not-so precious (although lovely) stones that people get in huge sizes, like amethyst, citrine, garnet, blue topaz; or has a lot of little diamonds put together, whether tastefully or not (I've seen pretty right hand rings with pave diamonds making a nice flower, and also very garish ones where its just a lot of I1 diamonds clustered in a lump). It's just something you do more for parties or fun events, not everyday wear, and where you can think about fun, not good taste and let your inner blingtastic come out. Some of the most fun ones are costume jewelry (and often these are surprisingly pricey, whether new 'designer' or older classic names like Miriam Haskell or Coro).

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Stacks. I am working on a ruby/diamond stack that I wear on my right hand. ( I have 4 so far and plan to add more for variety)
Band styles, 5-stones, etc.
Solitaires to me are engagementy.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, solitaires are engagement/LHR. Anything else goes for the RHR, though I don't like it to sit up too high. I actually considered wearing my ering on my right hand, because I like it best all by itself,and wanted to keep my wedding/anniv rings on my left, but just can't get used to a RHR that sits that high. Maybe if I was left handed, it wouldn't be a problem.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a number of rings I wear on my right hand. Some could be used as an engagement ring, but they wouldn't be the traditional type. My RHRs tend to be smaller than my wedding set, except my grandmother's opal, which is surrounded by diamonds. It's a knuckle duster and is too big for daily wear. Sometimes I wear two RHRs. They are definitely not cocktail rings, with the exception of the opal.

stci

Ideal_Rock
For me RHR = cocktail ring.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have several RHRs. Most of them are diamond, but some of them are colored stone rings. I only wear colored stone rings on my right hand so to me they are kind of "cocktail" rings or something along those lines. I would never wear my 5 stone band on my right hand, but that's because it is my wedding band. That said, if I saw a woman wearing a 5 stone on her right hand, I wouldn't think "hey, she's wearing that on the wrong hand."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1317915544|3034605 said:
Not a simple solitaire or, for me anything that's too ... I don't know how to say it other than "engagement-y" For me a diamond center and tapered baguettes is too much like an engagement ring. I like more to something for my right hand. Even if it's something SOMEONE would love as an engagement ring I don't want it to look like what comes to my mind when someone says "engagement ring"... there's no way to describe it better than that, I'm afraid.

This. No simple solitaires, but a three-stone, yes.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
For me it has to be non engagement y. I prefer colored gem stones for RHR's, or 3, 5, 7 stone rings, eternity rings, stackables etc. I'm also not a fan of rings on every finger, they seem to blend into each other that way, and I prefer that the ring stand out. I also wouldn't wear a ring on my left hand besides my e-ring and wedders.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's where the nutty, anal PSer part of me comes in. I wear my five stone anniversary band on my right hand. While most would probably not agree with me, I think the two hands should 'balance' or 'compliment' each other. Most people see them as two different hands and are fine with sporting two entirely different looks. Same way about decorating - I like a color or range of colors that compliment each other to carry throughout the main floor of my house. Some folks paint and furnish each room with completely different colors - I like the rooms to sort of flow together.

I like lots of different rings for RHR's - have seen lots of pretty rings here. Some people like the colored stones and some people like a completely different shape and style of ring on their right hand. My ering center stone is comparable in size to the total carat weight of my five stone band. Different look but all round stones and the balance - at least to my eye - is there. Most people could give two shitzus about that!

Jewelry is such a personal thing and as long as it looks and feels right to the wearer, I think anything goes. I don't think there is a right or wrong 'way' to wear rings. Blingy and beautiful - that's the best look!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything you like.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1317915544|3034605 said:
Not a simple solitaire...

This says it for me. My ering is a plain semibezel setting with plain band. RHRs that I would personally consider include:

- eternity rings
- stackers
- coloured stones (probably with sidestones though)
- three/five/seven stone rings (love me some three-stone rings :lickout: )
- honking OEC with sidestones or intricate setting :Up_to_something:
- cocktail rings (too big for daily wear)

Oh, the daydreams...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results