shape
carat
color
clarity

What does nice "entry level" mean to you?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rude! and low class too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was thinking some more about this
there really isnt anything wrong with buying an entry level model of a good brand if you'r just starting out and that's what you can pay wheather that's because that's all you can afford or its all you can justify spending on a new interest

you might not get all the bells and whistles but you should still be getting quality parts and workmanship and a good warrenty

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was thinking some more about this
there really isnt anything wrong with buying an entry level model of a good brand if you'r just starting out and that's what you can pay wheather that's because that's all you can afford or its all you can justify spending on a new interest

you might not get all the bells and whistles but you should still be getting quality parts and workmanship and a good warrenty
I agree but the remark shouldn’t have been made about the purchase that someone else makes. That watch may be all they could afford and weren’t planning on moving to the next expensive model. It sort of diminishes that person’s purchase.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree but the remark shouldn’t have been made about the purchase that someone else makes. That watch may be all they could afford and weren’t planning on moving to the next expensive model. It sort of diminishes that person’s purchase.
oh absolutly Mamabean, its very bad manners
its just it suddenly reminded me of when i brought my sewing machine - i briefly worked for an old established family run fabric company that let its staff buy sewing machines at cost plus tax, no markup and i was able to buy the next model up from the entry level (it did automatic button holes) because of their generosity but in all honesty the basic Jenome model was all I'll ever need and it was certainly a milion times better than the al chepo piece of cr#p $99.00 (i don't mention the brand) that our opposition were flogging to new home sewers

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That poster dares to go where no poster has gone before, totally tone deaf and blind to the cringe he has created. It may never even occur to him that some people buy the luxury item they want without regard to more expensive models. I guess that is the difference between buying what you want for your own pleasure, and buying what you think other people want to impress them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my dad used to enjoy his whiskey with water
every year a supplier would gift him for Christmas a hugmungus bottle of the then locally produced brand
which tasted fine
my dad also drunk Glennfiddich and chivas regal (excuse my spelling if thats wrong)
When we had guests who appreated and had a pallet for the good stuff he never hesitated and especially if they enjoyed it straight or on the rocks, my dad was a generouse home bar tender
but he had one friend who talked alot of bull s##t so dad would decant the Wilson's into the better bottle just for him and he never knew the difference

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
my dad used to enjoy his whiskey with water
every year a supplier would gift him for Christmas a hugmungus bottle of the then locally produced brand
which tasted fine
my dad also drunk Glennfiddich and chivas regal (excuse my spelling if thats wrong)
When we had guests who appreated and had a pallet for the good stuff he never hesitated and especially if they enjoyed it straight or on the rocks, my dad was a generouse home bar tender
but he had one friend who talked alot of bull s##t so dad would decant the Wilson's into the better bottle just for him and he never knew the difference
:lol: Love your dad @Daisys and Diamonds!

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Too bad. My Seamaster was mid 4-figures, and I'd never dream of it as being "entry level." In fact, I don't care what level it's considered. I bought it because it reminds me of my grandfather and I'm a huge fan of James Bond.

I'm part of a watch forum, and 99% of the folks are kind, always, no matter what.

Guess there's always the 1% in anything...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Luxury watches are a weird world. I suppose for many people on a watch forum the Submariner I just bought would be an entry level watch. It certainly was not cheap. But as Rolex goes, they get a hell of a lot more expensive. And a hell of a lot more hard to get.

So I can see two possibilities here. One, the commenter was being an arrogant jerk.

Two, he was making a comment about the state of the luxury watch market and (especially if this was Rolex or another brand operating on a similar scarcity model) literally getting into the game. Many people who want to buy Rolex have accepted that the way to do it now is to purchase pieces you may not want to buy your way up to the less accessible ones.

Does that make sense? Trying to come up with a plausible alternate explanation and honestly from what I’ve seen on watch forums lately all the talk is about developing relationships with ADs to get the grail watch you really want one day. If the poster was coming from that mentality it could explain a lot.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That poster dares to go where no poster has gone before, totally tone deaf and blind to the cringe he has created. It may never even occur to him that some people buy the luxury item they want without regard to more expensive models. I guess that is the difference between buying what you want for your own pleasure, and buying what you think other people want to impress them.

I agree... my Cartier love ring is an "entry level" piece and I picked it not because I could not afford more but because it's my favorite of their things and imo is a timeless classic. MANY entry-level pieces are much more classic than their more expensive counterparts, by design.

Two, he was making a comment about the state of the luxury watch market and (especially if this was Rolex or another brand operating on a similar scarcity model) literally getting into the game. Many people who want to buy Rolex have accepted that the way to do it now is to purchase pieces you may not want to buy your way up to the less accessible ones.

Does that make sense? Trying to come up with a plausible alternate explanation and honestly from what I’ve seen on watch forums lately all the talk is about developing relationships with ADs to get the grail watch you really want one day. If the poster was coming from that mentality it could explain a lot.

ugh like Hermes? Seems annoying. Scratching "watch collecting" off my list of "hobbies to develop when I have the money" as we speak.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results