shape
carat
color
clarity

what does it mean when he/she say "i''am a young professional" ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does that only applies to certain occupations?
33.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always thought it meant doctors or lawyers. eta: I think now it means having a degree, I saw something somewhere breaking down re: who falls under the professional category.
34.gif
here it is!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it meant you had a college degree?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does and it doesn''t...there is a movement among younger people who are in the business world to form "young professionals" groups. All it really means is that you are young and working. But more often than not the people who join these groups are white collar workers of some sort. But usually no professions are excluded.

I think it means exactly what it says, a professional who is younger. Think of it like a Rotary/Lions club for 20-30 somethings.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would probably laugh if someone told me they were a young professional! What context did the young professional tell you that?

DF: What do you do?
YP: I''m a young professional!

3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 10:12:06 PM
Author: thing2of2
I would probably laugh if someone told me they were a young professional! What context did the young professional tell you that?

YP: I'm a young professional!

3.gif
i see posters use these two words a lot on ps. i don't know what it means
34.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the definition Neat Freak offered. DH and I have been thinking about joining a "Young Professionals Network" in our area in order to meet driven folks who are our age. The group meets a few times a month for things like wine and cheese socials or educational meetings about things like buying a home.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 10:19:56 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

YP: I'm a young professional!

3.gif
i see posters use these two words a lot on ps. i don't know what it means
34.gif
I have not really seen it on here.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 10:28:02 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 8/16/2008 10:19:56 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

3.gif
i see posters use these two words a lot on ps. i don''t know what it means
34.gif
I have not really seen it on here.
Me either...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

3.gif
since every young kid call themself a professional these days. i''am a professional too
2.gif
a professional "dishwasher"
stickouttongue.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 10:27:09 PM
Author: Elmorton
Ditto to the definition Neat Freak offered. DH and I have been thinking about joining a ''Young Professionals Network'' in our area in order to meet driven folks who are our age. The group meets a few times a month for things like wine and cheese socials or educational meetings about things like buying a home.

That sounds great! I would love to meet people as driven as I am...I feel like every time I talk about working and studying for the GMAT and taking language classes and doing all the things I want to accomplish (including getting in to my dream business school) they look at me like I''ve grown 3 heads. Now I''m off to Google groups in my area.

And Dancing Fire, personally I would define it as younger people working white collar jobs who are driven to accomplish a lot. But I''m not sure what the actual definition is.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
During my one-year stint in the business world the company kept calling us "young professionals". There were meetings and groups that we were encouraged to join.

I always laughed, because I felt like a well-paid paper-pusher. I did manual calcs for retirement benefits with a team of actuaries, but the majority of my time I was just filling out paperwork and passing it along to the next guy down the line. I felt more like a cog in the machine than a professional.

It seems like these YP groups are for networking and such. I get emails asking to join LinkedIn networks all the time, or attend this or that networking group. As a teacher, I''m only good for networking within the education community, so I never join.

I''m a HS teacher with two graduate degrees (MA and MEd). I wouldn''t call myself a young professional. I''m a young public servant.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
When I hear it I think Dr., atty., CPA, architect, engineer. Jobs which might require a professional certification in addition to a degree.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Professional means a white collar job with a college degree, IMHO.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
dancing fire. My bf is a professional dishwasher too.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 3:37:53 PM
Author: vespergirl
Professional means a white collar job with a college degree, IMHO.
This is also what I envision, and also someone who is "career-minded" and perhaps upwardly mobile.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I think its some one who has a degree and is using it in the field for which they earned it. Most likely someone who is in their 20s or early 30s...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 3:45:49 PM
Author: lovegem
dancing fire. My bf is a professional dishwasher too.
in chinese culture we call everybody a professional at what they do no matter their occupation.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upwardly mobile, career-minded, ambitious, etc.

mostly seen on ads for apartments and roommates...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
To add to the posts above, I also think that "professional is" as "professional does".

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I dunno. A new word for yuppie?
28.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 9:12:27 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
does that only applies to certain occupations?
33.gif
Well, it should. But there are probably many people who tag themselves as a ''young professional'' that aren''t in one of the careers considered ''professional''.

It has been my understanding that careers requiring degrees/certification in your field, i.e. doctors, lawyers, teachers, CPAs, etc. are ''professional''. Executives, middle management, and the legions of workers beneath them are not ''professionals''. Vocational careers are not ''professional''.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results