shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jus10

Rough_Rock
I''m thinking of purchasing this diamond.

Diamond 1:
http://www.jewelryzone.com/details.php3?item=193867

I think its a pretty good price and its about exactly what I''m looking for. Weight, SI1, I, small amount of florecence, GIA. Is there anything i''m over looking? If its a good deal I''ll be purchacing it... here is another alternitve.

Diamond 2:
http://www.jewelryzone.com/details.php3?item=193868
no florecence, and different cut 58%/58%

Thank you all for the help!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What shape are they??

Jus10

Rough_Rock
Marquise.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont know much about Marquis but the l/w ratio on the first stone is 1.82 and the second stone is 2.35. From what I have read, you want to purchase a proportionate stone with a l/w of around 1.5-1.7. So the 1.8 may be pushing it a little, but between the two, this is a better looking stone from a shape perspective. The 2nd stone will probably be VERY long and skinny...and unless that is what you are going for, the 1st stone will have more of a true marquis shape to it.

That said, be sure to get your purchase checked out by an independent appraiser after purchase, and well within your return policy window. You want to be sure that the color and clarity check out, as well as the 'cut'...which is harder to gauge with fancies, but your appraiser may notice something with his expert eyes that you did not. So best to have a 2nd opinion. If the stone does not check out, be sure you can return it and get another, or get your $$ back.

Purchasing online with just the bare minimum of info (which is what this site you are looking at gives you) is always risky, so just be sure you can cover yourself when you get the stone.

Good luck!!
1.gif
Let us know how things turn out.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-------------
From what I have read, you want to purchase a proportionate stone with
a l/w of around 1.5-1.7.
-------------

Hey Mara, these proportions are good for a pearshape, but for a marquise the optimum length-to-width is 1.75-2.25, with the "2 to 1" ratio often quoted as a benchmark.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the correction Rich....I had thought that the 1.5-1.7 was to be used for all shaped fancies but I guess it makes sense that a pear would be fatter than a well cut marquis.

So in that case..both of these stones are contenders, though the first one is still slightly more within the range than the 2nd.

Sorry for the confusion!
15.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Oh sorry... I didn't realize they were marquises. Based on numbers I like the first better. The second is too long and skinny. BTW I'd ask for a Sarin report. Try to avoid 30% pavilions as well as 50% or more pav's.

Jus10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. Whats a sarin report? Out of all the stuff I have read I haven't seen anything about that. Thanks!

Jus10

Rough_Rock
I believe dirtcheapdiamonds.com has the same diamond on there website too! Do I just email them and ask for a sarin report and provide the diamond #?
Thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sarin and OGI are tools used to evaluate the cut. They give you all percentages and pavilions... They are both pretty similar, but each model has some special features that the other doesn't own. A vendor should be able to send one or two stones to someone who owns these tools. Try to email them and ask for informations...

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Hi ,
as a rule fo thumb, marquise diamonds should be 2:1 ratio (or there about)
p.s diamonds should be 1.5:1 in ratio,
ec. diamonds should be 1.35-1.50:1
ov. the same as ec.
rad.the same as above(unless you want square
9.gif
)
prin 1:1 ratio
they all can vary a bit below or above these ratio's.

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results