shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I am a newbie here buying a diamond for an engagement ring,..would like the experts overall opinion on this diamond.

Price: $4,660
Carat weight: 1.00 (Round)
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 61.1%
Table %: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin - Medium (Faceted) 3.0%
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.47 x 6.49 x 3.96 mm

I have read in these forums (which are excellent BTW - so helpful) that the idealscope would be also provide insight but I unfortunately don''t have access to that.

Thanks in advance - Nick

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good from the numbers.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 6:41:36 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Looks good from the numbers.
Ditto, although is there a reason the vendor can''t give you the Idealscope?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 6:58:39 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Ditto, although is there a reason the vendor can''t give you the Idealscope?
Hi Nick and welcome!

The diamond looks promising, as above I take it the vendor can''t supply IS?

nick246

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your input.

The diamond is from Blue Nile .. reading different posts on this forum I got the impression BN doesn''t provide the idealscope. I will call them today and ask for it.

I want a diamond that has fire. I just ordered a 0.80 from them and when it arrived I was very disappointed because it didnt have fire like those I looked at in local stores. I think this will be impacted most by cut??

I have seen the debate on this forum about BN "signature ideal" vs. "ideal" cut. It seems most people think the signature ideal is just screening/selection process and that ideal cut stones are just as good .. if they meet the proper specs? Is this true?

Sorry for all the newbie questions
1.gif
.. thanks for your assistance as I make my selection.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:27:45 AM
Author: nick246
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your input.

The diamond is from Blue Nile .. reading different posts on this forum I got the impression BN doesn't provide the idealscope. I will call them today and ask for it.

I want a diamond that has fire. I just ordered a 0.80 from them and when it arrived I was very disappointed because it didnt have fire like those I looked at in local stores. I think this will be impacted most by cut??

I have seen the debate on this forum about BN 'signature ideal' vs. 'ideal' cut. It seems most people think the signature ideal is just screening/selection process and that ideal cut stones are just as good .. if they meet the proper specs? Is this true?

Sorry for all the newbie questions
1.gif
.. thanks for your assistance as I make my selection.
You are most welcome Nick!

Ok if it is from BN then Idealscope won't be a possibility. Yes cut is what will give a diamond its fire, brilliance and scintillation etc so it is of the utmost importance to find a well cut diamond. You can hunt for diamonds which might show a bit of extra fire if the lighting is right, these are called fiery ideal cuts ( FIC). These diamonds typically have a steeper crown angle of over 35.5 degrees, a pavilion angle of no more than 40.6 degrees - a smallish table of around 53- 56% as a rough guide. Sometimes they have a bit of extra depth which can be a trade off with this type of diamond. Also you will only notice fire or coloured light if the lighting is conducive.

The BN Signature Ideals are their own in house diamonds from what I understand. The term Ideal Cut can be used very loosely by some sellers and is no guarantee of a well cut diamond, so it is important to evaluate each diamond on its own desirable physical and visual properties. The Holloway Cut Advisor is great as a rejection tool, put the diamonds which score below 2 on your shortlist when using and then evaluate using Idealscope or ASET images for final selection.

When choosing diamonds, it can be helpful to concentrate on AGS0 cut grade and GIA Excellent, with the latter the HCA is particularly useful in order to find the best ones as this cut grade can allow for some less desirable angle combos to get the Excellent grade.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
BN won''t be able to provide you with an IS.

Signature Ideal is just their inhouse stone, maybe with H&A patterns which is debatable as that image is not shown. Nothing special.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Thanks, great info.
I put this stones specs into HCA and it scored 0.7
The GIA report # is 2105589988

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 10:15:04 AM
Thanks, great info.
I put this stones specs into HCA and it scored 0.7
The GIA report # is 2105589988
Glad to help! I will look up the report...

That all looks in order, I would really like an Idealscope image for the diamond, but that won't be happening. Nick, can you check on the grading report what inclusions are noted on the clarity plot please? Such as feathers, clouds, crystals etc. It would be good to know in case clouds are the grade setters for this SI clarity diamond. In rare cases they can cause a lack of brilliance - unusual but best to check.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Yes, the report does indicate Clouds.
It also has a comments reporting "Additional clouds are not shown"

Here is the link:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01047976?filter_id=1#grading_report

Thanks so much for looking at this for me - I really appreciate it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 11:26:17 AM
Yes, the report does indicate Clouds.
It also has a comments reporting 'Additional clouds are not shown'

Here is the link:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01047976?filter_id=1#grading_report

Thanks so much for looking at this for me - I really appreciate it!
I am glad to help Nick, I will just fix the link then take a look....

Oh my goodness, that is one HUGE cloud!!!
23.gif
In fact clouds are the only grade makers - I am glad I brought this up! Nick, I would proceed with caution here, according to the clarity plot that is a large cloud with 2 smaller and really warrants very careful evaluation by an expert. If you decide to go with this one, I strongly recommend you get an independant appraiser check out this cloud to see if it impacts brilliance. Clouds not shown should not be an issue, but that big one which is marked on the plotting diagram could be.

Do you have any other diamonds in mind? It might be an idea to find some others which don't have such large grade making clouds, especially if working with a seller who doesn't have in house diamonds.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am glad I asked the question! .. thanks so much.

Before I found this one I did have some others in mind.
Appreciate your thoughts on these..
1.gif
1.gif

Option 1
Price: $4,581
Carat weight: 0.90 (Round)
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 60.8%
Table %: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Symmetry:Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to thick
Culet: pointed
Measurements: 6.24 x 6.27 x 3.80 mm
HCA Score 0.8
Report:
BN Option1

Option 2
Price: $4,447
Carat weight: 0.86 (Round)
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 61.0%
Table %: 57%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Measurements: 6.17 x 6.13 x 3.75 mm
HCA Score 1.1
Report:
BN Option2

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything Lorelei said. One other important factor to consider though, when comparing any stone to those you''ve "seen in jewelry stores" is that the lighting in jewelry stores is specially selected to make diamonds appear super fiery and sparkly, so its not necessarily a direct comparison unless you take the two stones into a room with the same lighting.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that advice. It helps me to keep things in perspective.
I didnt know the lighting in stores was designed to provide the optimal fire and brilliance

Can you help me decide between the two options .. I think Option 1 makes the most sense

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, option 1 is the better choice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first diamond of the last 2 best Nick, the G VS1.

nick246

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help .. I really appreciate it.
I will post a photo when I get it
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

I am sure my fiance will be very happy.

Cheers,
Nick

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 2:44:11 PM
Thank you all for your help .. I really appreciate it.
I will post a photo when I get it
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

I am sure my fiance will be very happy.

Cheers,
Nick
Very glad to help Nick!! I will look forward to the pics when you get the finished ring!
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the G VS1 best.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote goes to the G VS1, I think your FI will be thrilled with it...

nick246

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stephan/all.
Do you really think the F color, VVS2 is worth the additional cost?
Will we really be able to tell the difference?

I looked at F and H stones side by side in the store and I couldn''t tell the difference.

Nick

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 10:53:10 PM
Thanks Stephan/all.
Do you really think the F color, VVS2 is worth the additional cost?
Will we really be able to tell the difference?

I looked at F and H stones side by side in the store and I couldn''t tell the difference.

Nick
I would stick with the original G VS1 Nick. VVS clarity is a bit high for me if there is a VS option.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results