shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think? surprise or no surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsPicky

Rough_Rock

Hello Everyone! I''m posting this question to get some opinions because I know everyone here gives some great advice. I''ve been lurking for a while, have looked at all the amazing rings, have learned a lot and I am soon to be engaged. My boyfriend and I just recently bought a diamond on 47 th St., picked out a setting that he and I really liked. The ring is now being made and should be finished within a week or two. Originally he was going to propose with a Tiffany''s ring. He took me to see it, tried it on & even bought it. Later thinking about how expensive their prices really are, considering for a budget of $10,000 we weren''t even able to get a 1ct ring...we decided to return it (although he didn''t want to...it was a beautfiul ring) and decided to have a similar setting done elsewhere...and save some money. The questions now is...should I see the finished product or should I allow him to pick it up so that I can still be a bit surprised when he proposes? Considering we picked the diamond and setting together, at least I know what to expect. However, I''m worried that by not seeing the finished product before he actually proposes, I will be unable to see the little details that I''m really picky & worried about. What do you think? Am I just being silly?

I feel like I ruined the entire "magic" of a surprise proposal by getting so involved...so I''m thinking that maybe I should let it be at least a little bit of a surprise from this point on. Agree or disagree?
Dreaming of being proposed to in a perfect way...

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 5:53:27 PM
Author:MsPicky

Hello Everyone! I''m posting this question to get some opinions because I know everyone here gives some great advice. I''ve been lurking for a while, have looked at all the amazing rings, have learned a lot and I am soon to be engaged. My boyfriend and I just recently bought a diamond on 47 th St., picked out a setting that he and I really liked. The ring is now being made and should be finished within a week or two. Originally he was going to propose with a Tiffany''s ring. He took me to see it, tried it on & even bought it. Later thinking about how expensive their prices really are, considering for a budget of $10,000 we weren''t even able to get a 1ct ring...we decided to return it (although he didn''t want to...it was a beautfiul ring) and decided to have a similar setting done elsewhere...and save some money. The questions now is...should I see the finished product or should I allow him to pick it up so that I can still be a bit surprised when he proposes? Considering we picked the diamond and setting together, at least I know what to expect. However, I''m worried that by not seeing the finished product before he actually proposes, I will be unable to see the little details that I''m really picky & worried about. What do you think? Am I just being silly?

I feel like I ruined the entire ''magic'' of a surprise proposal by getting so involved...so I''m thinking that maybe I should let it be at least a little bit of a surprise from this point on. Agree or disagree?
You''re definitely not being silly. I''m extremely picky, and if I was the woman, I would really want to make sure everything was as perfect as I expected it to be. However, I think you should wait to see it and be surprised. If you need to make changes, you can always do it after the proposal. Furthermore, if you''re talking about that classic Tiffany solitaire setting, it''s really not an involved design and shouldn''t leave much room for screw ups, assuming you''ve selected a competent craftsman to build it for you.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand how you feel. I picked up my ring from the jewelers when it was ready. The next time my then-boyfriend came to the house he picked it up and took it with him when he left. I did not see it again until he offically proposed. Helping pick it out and having seen it completed did not take away at all ofro the proposal. When he proposed, I was relieved that I didn;t need to check the ring over to make see what I was getting - I could focus soley oon the proposal
emsmile.gif

Best wishes!

LittleLau143

Rough_Rock
I agree I am very picky about what I want my engagement ring to look like as well but it seems like your future fiance wouldnt mind if after the proposal you sent it back to the jewlers to get it tweaked jsut the way you want it. I would want a suprise proposal, having that moment all about you, what every little girl has dreamed and fantasized about her whole life.

SBee

Rough_Rock
So what ended up happening?? :)

My partner and I went through the whole diamond and setting selection process together too, and the rings are currently being made...we have about 4-5 weeks...

I was heavily involved up to the final placement of the order, but have told him, "from here on in, it''s up to you! I want you to sort out picking it up....I want to be surprised....." :)

pelicano

Rough_Rock
I''d go for the surprise ;-)

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 5:53:27 PM
Author:MsPicky

I feel like I ruined the entire ''magic'' of a surprise proposal by getting so involved...so I''m thinking that maybe I should let it be at least a little bit of a surprise from this point on. Agree or disagree?
You are absolutely not being silly at all!!! I''m in the exact same situation as you. Ring has been purchased. Almost ready for pick up..but i''m not allowed to go see the finished product! How will i know if the ring is perfect or if there is anything that they can fix!!! I totally understand your dilemma. I''m having an emotional struggle with it... i want to see the ring but then again, since i was a part of picking the setting, diamond etc. i think i want the final viewing/proposal to be a surprise. Well, not to mention that bf won''t let me go pick it up with him!

Hang in there!!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would let the surprise element be the HOW part of the proposal. Better to see the ring, make sure it is right before he gives it to you, and then let him decide how he wants to ask you and give it to you!

Alienor

Rough_Rock
Considering you always went together looking for some styles at Tiffany, i am sure he has an idea of what you like. You should let him surprise you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results