shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this ring I have found for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be honest, do you like it or hate it?

1.1.JPG

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another view

1.2.JPG

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another

1.4.JPG

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any idea what color the diamonds would be?

The shoulders have a split design although I do not have a picture of this.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it kind of 80s though
8.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Would I wear it? No...do I hate it? No! It's just not my taste...Do YOU like it???

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks moremoremore.

I thought I did but I am not sure now. I am thinking it is 80s and too much gold now and do not want that 80s look.

I think I will pass on it. What do others think of it?

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is lovely.

I am guessing maybe J color on the stones.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This is very interesting...I have been toying with getting a marquise for a right-hand type of ring....Something different...and MMM made a great suggestion to set it on its side (horizontally). I am casually looking around at stones.

Thus, I like this ring as something fun and a bit retro (are the 80s considered "retro" yet??? Gee, I am getting old...
14.gif
)

Anyway, if you love it, and it is a good value, get it and enjoy it. I know a lot of people may be like "MARQUISE??? OH, THE HORROR" but to each her own!
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Diamondsbybree and Jennifer5973.
I quite like it but do not think I will get it. The jeweller and his gemologist both say the colour of the stones is about a G-H the color looks accurate on my screen but I am not able to guess color.

Could some more of the experts guess on the color? I know color is graded in person upside down and unset but I am just curious here.

The ring is made from 18k gold.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the 80s are on their way back, stylewise!! Neither the 80s nor this ring are my cup of tea, but the stones do look like a nice color. Not that I can really be sure of anything from my monitor, nor am I an expert, but I am very sensitive to color, and I'd guess G or H, though the yellow gold setting makes it tough to gauge...

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
The 80's are at least back for those who don't remember them from the first time around, if you look at the clothing being sold... I've never been old enough to be a curmudgeon before, I'm so proud!

About the ring... it looks like there might be a better use of those stones, that looks like it might be somewhat awkward to wear. Of course, that's just my taste...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks quaeritur and chialea.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring does feel comfortable between the fingers when you try it on, although it would have to be resized probably to the correct size of the person who buys it.

Can anyone else guess what they think the color of the diamonds is? I am not an expert but I am wondering if they are better than G as they look very clear to me when looking from the side.

I suppose as the jeweller has asked his gemmologist to look at them, and he agrees with G-H as the jeweller said, then that must be correct. How often would a gemmologist make a mistake?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
They look pretty white to me, definitely like G-H.
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Jennifer5973 I am hoping it is an F color. I still don't know if I will buy though as I am saving up for a solitaire diamond also.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh yee of the side-tracked mind. I too suffer from this condition. Waiting and waiting for the perfect solitaire only to be led astray by diamond bands, bezel set pendants, small diamond hoops.......

I could go on and on- and that is my problem.

What is the color concern; if you like the style you like it, right?
When I first saw it I thought "80's".
So, if you like it get it. You don't sound convinced though.
(wait for the solitaire!)

Then you can get a juicy band to go with it!
11.gif
9.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to tell you that a woman I used be neighbors with (who incidentally owned a jewelry business) wore an identical looking ring as her wedding band and it looked GORGEOUS on her hand. I always admired it and I am neither of fan of marquise or yellow gold.

I can't see any color in those stones even from the pavillion view photo but as quaeritur stated, the yellow gold may be helping the color. Do you own a high color stone you can compare side by side?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think marquise are a love/hate thing...sometimes you hate them; sometimes you love them! I have also seen rings like this one and admired them a great deal as well.
1.gif

pyramid, I am currently playing your game--I really should just wait for the *big* 10 yr solitaire but I am so tempted to buy something now. I say, if you LOVE it and your gut is good, go for it.

There have been a couple of times when i bought something and I wasn't supposed to, but the gut was so good ... In each of these times, I am glad I did! (my new earrings are a perfect example...)
9.gif

Let us know how it turns out--and if you get it, I want hand pics!
3.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid ~ That ring reminds me of my mother's wedding band, so I'm really drawn to it. It is kinda 80's, but not in a tacky way I don't think. My mom's (which she got in '82) is yellow gold, has baguettes in between the marquise (similar to photo below), but is an eternity band, and has a lower profile than the ring you're considering. Normally I don't care for marquise or yellow gold either, but... there are exceptions & I'm forever drooling over my mom's ring!!

This kinda reminds me of a new perfume I tried in a department store a few years ago ~ I sprayed some in the store, but couldn't decide whether I liked it or not... but everytime I went in the store, I'd try it out again... Finally I decided there must be something about it I liked since I kept "testing" it so I finally bought it. Apparently it didn't sell very well in my area and the department stores here quit carrying it & I have to order it off the internet (for 1/2 the price!)... BUT, nearly everytime I wear it, someone stops me (yesterday a guy stopped me in Home Depot as I was looking at trash cans!) to ask me what fragrance I'm wearing...

Anyhow, the point of all that is ~ maybe it's something you really like, but can't define exactly why ~ but maybe it will end up being one of those great purchases that you will enjoy and admire for a long time after!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm, no photo ~ try again...

Edit: nope, oh well.... I think I have the link, maybe that's why it's not working... I'm feeling technologically challenged...

Edit again: okay here's the link: http://weddingband.com/mf2.html

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks sevens one, fuffi, Jennifer5973 and teebee. I do not have a F colored diamond to compare the color with and as you all say the yellow gold would affect it, also I do not know really what graders look for at that level. Well the ring must have something if it is the style a jewelry business owner wears for her wedding ring or maybe she got married in the 80s. I do agree though that marquise is a love/hate thing. It is like my sister who only wants fancy cut stones be they diamond or gemstone she doesn't feel drawn towards rounds, not that she hates them she just doesn't want to buy them. I know what you mean also that sometimes the gut just gives you a feeling that you have to have it, that is what I have here but I think as I said it is because I could get it now also.

I am being swayed towards it but will wait for the solitaire. I think it is just that I can afford this now but not the solitaire. Oh and the color concern is that I am afraid it would look dark colored against the yellow gold but I suppose the yellow gold is supposed to add a different type of look to the diamonds here in this style of ring. All the rings I own although mostly yellow gold have the diamonds set in white gold rhodium plated.

Thanks teebee for the picture, is is in the same style I think. The perfume is me also, I used to wear this really cheap perfume which came out called 'liberty' and everyone used to say is smelled really great on me then my mum tried it and didn't like it on herself. I cannot get it now but found some in a market at a seaside resort and bought the two bottles which were there.

Anyway at the moment I have decided not to buy it but wait for the solitaire. I will probably revisit this thread though and look at the pictures and want to buy it again.
21.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I know that you have pretty much decided not to get it, but I can't resist giving any opinion when ASKED!
2.gif

I personally don't care for marquise... I don't know why, but I have just never loved them. I do however love the look of a multi-stone ring... and if the ring was rounds, or ovals... then I would vote:
appl.gif

Lynn

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lynn B, all opinions are welcome
1.gif
. It is not so much the marquise that put me off because I do like them but the quantity of yellow gold. I do like yellow gold but do not know if I want an 80s look. I think what I like is the straight appearance of the ring, it looks so evenly proportioned.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think you have chosen wisely.
Now while you're waiting for the perfect solitaire- start searching for the perfect diamond band to go with it.
naughty.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
naughty.gif
Yes, I can look for a band also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results