shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Pear Diamond ? Can't decide !

Eri Anto

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, so I've been searching for the perfect pear diamond for almost a year now. Finally found the right stone within my budget !

However, I won't be able to see the stone before purchasing and likely unable to return it. My number one priority is fire and brilliance, and it's really hard to see from videos. I've requested an ASET image which I've attached in this thread but I don't know how to read it properly. A concern is also the bowtie effect. It's hard to tell if bowtie will be visible from the video and ASET !

Any help and thoughts are very much appreciated !

Here is the link of the stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.08-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-6137382

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-01 at 4.07.21 AM.jpeg

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert, but I would say it might be worth it too keep looking. The ASET, while not bad, could be better. There is a bit of mush and bowtie also in the video.
This might help for reading ASETs:

https://beyond4cs.com/grading/aset-reference-charts/

Is there a particular reason you chose IF? If not then that would allow you to open up more possible diamonds with good light performance. Great pears already need a bit of a search, restricting it to IF may make it harder.

I am sure members with much much more knowledge will respond too.

Eri Anto

Rough_Rock
No reason for choosing IF. Just that it's the best one I found so far in terms of no bowtie and big measurement too, as I'm looking for length above 9mm and above 1ct in weight

Eri Anto

Rough_Rock
Also how does one look at mush ??

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mush is the area that doesn't flash and return much light. It is usually found near the tip of pears and is the white(if white background) on the ASET.

Eri Anto

Rough_Rock
What should I be looking at in the ASET ?

I have found that most of the ASETs on stones I've received have a lot of white, unlike a round diamond. Is this normal and expected or should I keep looking until I find an ASET that has mostly green and reds like round diamonds do ?

Also, if the red clearly resembles a bowtie, does that mean that's a visible bowtie on the actual diamond ? For my diamond, I can't see much bowtie in the video but on the ASET it's very prominent.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I’m not a pear expert, but I’m not a fan of the mush at the tip or bow tie on this one. Is their a L/W ratio and color you’re trying to stick to?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe that long tipped, slender pears tend to have more mush than chubbier pears with a rounded ends and a short tip. The ASET displays primarily green which means that the pear is reflecting light back from 0 to 45 degrees while the red is direct light return, which is from 45 to 75 degrees. I suspect that you could find a pear with an ASET in the above average range but it would be difficult to find one in the excellent range.
Bowties result from the elongating of diamond facets between the rounded end and the straight sides of the pear. To reduce the bowtie, look for diamonds that tend to be cut more like a round brilliant with a short tip.
Is your primary objective to find a one carat diamond with a length over 9mm? What are the areas of most importance and the areas that you will compromise on? If you care to publish your budget and desired lenght:width ratio, we can offer you suggestions.

Eri Anto

Rough_Rock
My primary objective is to find a stone with least bowtie effect. I'd also like to maximize on length over 9mm and above 1ct. Second importance is fire and brilliance. Definitely want EX/EX in terms of polish and symmetry, and no fluorescence. Ratio wise, I'm ok with anything above 1.55 - 1.70.

I'm looking to have the stone set in 18k rose gold halo ring, so I'm comfortable with an F/G color. I don't want to go any lower than that simply because I can get a stone in the D-F range for my budget.

As for clarity, I'm open to go down to VS1 so long as it's a great stone and inclusions are non visible.

I know IF is a bit of an overkill, but seems like I can get an IF stone with D-F color, EX/EX, Fluorescence None, and with ideal depth and table all within my budget of USD 8,500. So I feel like if I go any lower than those specs, I'm not maximizing on quality. But it's very hard for me to judge it based on photos and videos so I'm very confused on if I'm making the right decision !

thebrady28

Rough_Rock
I'm far from an expert, but my understanding of fancy cuts is that there isn't ideal depth/table to most.
Quality to me is the cut, light return, performance... which you would be able to see from videos and ASET.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I was shopping for a pear a while back, and JA has a few nice ones, in fact I had one on hold same size as yours.
Pears will always have a bow tie of some kind or another, it's just the nature of their cut.
Personally, I would choose this one in a heartbeat.
But, why can't you return it if you don't like it? was that a condition of sale? have you reached your 'returns limit'?
I think it's gorgeous!!!

p.s Put it on hold while you're considering, so you don't lose it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results