shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of Sarkozy''s victory in France?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicolas Sarkozy defeated Ségolène Royal in the French Presidential election Sunday. A lot of controversy surrounds him. What do you think of him? Do you think France will thrive with him as President? Will he polarize the country? Does anyone have any other predictions?

Deborah
34.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
My perspective on Sarkozy is that while he used right-wing rhetoric to win the election, he has actually done more for immigrants in his various gov''t positions than any of the other candidates. Hopefully he will continue this trend.

I also believe his economic perspective, while still FAR from what France needs in terms of a serious reality check and re-vamping, is at least a bit more realistic than Segolene''s plan.

I also like that he himself is the son of immigrants. Hopefully his political experiance and bullish attitude will help him push through some much needed reforms.

Which is a long way of saying I approve, tentatively. Although living here my perspective on the French attitudes towards immigrants has only gone downhill. Seriously, if they would free up the job market so that 3rd generation LEGAL Maghrebi immigrants would have something to DO, they wouldn''t HAVE riots in the streets. Delinquancy in this case is a direct result of discrimination+boredom.

OTOH, they need to lighten up the "racial blindness" laws so that a white French person with something to say can say it, but ALSO so that an immigrant with gripes about racism can talk about them openly without the ridiculous assumption that France is a color-blind society.

Sorry, pet issues here.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was delighted!

His speech was one of the best political speeches I''ve heard in a long time.

The situation with Bayerou has also been interesting to watch.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/11/2007 3:10:08 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I like him.. and hope he does a great job.. and in fact my husband said that if he turns out to be as good as he believes that we may actually go there.
2.gif
Here''s keeping my fingers crossed!
He might actualy bring the American tourist back to the Republic!?!?
He might..., but the Euro will make sure they stay accross the Atlantic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results