shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
The photographer we chose is Bob Brown of Eye Expression Photography. http://www.eyeexpression.com/

I had trouble choosing between him and another photographer - Toby Hoogs. http://tobyhoogs.com/

I think they are both very good - just different from eachother. Bob seems to better capture an overall "festiveness" and Toby seems to capture more "romance". They were exactly the same price - $1600 for 3 hours, prints in a leather bound book, all images on CD/DVD (ready to print).
I actually attempted to contact Toby first (I hadn''t yet found Bob''s website) - I filled out the online request form and never heard back. While waiting, I stumbled across the Eye Expression site. Of course I could have called Toby, and maybe the online request didn''t go through (I''ve read wonderful reviews of him on the knot), - but I kind of thought maybe it was a "sign" that I was supposed to have the other guy.

I don''t know, what do you guys think? Did I make the right decision?

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jennifer :)

Let me preface this by saying each person''s opinion is exactly that - and if you are happy with your photog then that''s what counts!

For the first photographer I think his posed pictures are significantly better than his candids. Some of the candids seem out of focus or sloppy with the light. In general I like the second photographer''s pictures better...especially the photojournalistic ones but my FI and I prefer that style to a more traditional, posed style...

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I think that you made a great choice!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks snow! I actually agree with your assessment. Toby is definitely better at the Photojournalistic style. Being that my fiance isn''t that romantic of a guy, I was a little worried that there wouldn''t be too many romantic "moments" to "catch". It will be interesting to see how our photos turn out.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I think they both look pretty similar. Either choice is great. Can''t wait to see your''s!

I think it''s hard to see a striking difference unless you look at one couple''s wedding photos beginning to end. Did you happen to visit Bob''s studio and look at any of his wedding album''s? I found that to be pretty helpful when comparing photogs...because on all the websites they all just put a handful of their best shots.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 2:39:47 PM
Author: selflove
I think they both look pretty similar. Either choice is great. Can''t wait to see your''s!

I think it''s hard to see a striking difference unless you look at one couple''s wedding photos beginning to end. Did you happen to visit Bob''s studio and look at any of his wedding album''s? I found that to be pretty helpful when comparing photogs...because on all the websites they all just put a handful of their best shots.
We are getting married on the Big Island of Hawaii - so visiting the studio isn''t possible. However, I did ask him if I could view a full wedding shoot. He sent me a link - and it was very nice. He also sent me a link to an example of the "story book" he creates for you (all the best shots - placed in sequence in a leather bound book that "tells the story of your day"). I was very pleased with that as well.

I also really liked the other photographers work - but I didn''t really have a preference. They are just "different". My fiance actually preferred the one we chose (though he liked the other one too).

Thanks, Lulu.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I like the first one significantly better...but I can''t really say why, just a gut reaction....so I think you made a great choice!

I only wish I that I could find a photog that nice for that kind of price in western NC!!!
2.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 4:20:24 PM
Author: fatafelice
I have to say that I like the first one significantly better...but I can''t really say why, just a gut reaction....so I think you made a great choice!

I only wish I that I could find a photog that nice for that kind of price in western NC!!!
2.gif
Thanks, fatafelice! Isn''t it crazy how much wedding stuff costs??? I''m really happy we decided to go with a destination wedding in Hawaii. We''re having a really nice wedding with about 40 guests for under $10,000. Less stress, too (IMO). My close friend is getting married 2 weeks after we are. She is having the wedding and reception here in Los Angeles. She said the same thing you said about my photographer. She isn''t exactly "thrilled" with her photographer and I''m sure he is charging five times as much.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do prefer the photographer you chose, although some of his candids are ''off'' somehow. Overall I still really like his style and his pictures are great.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, great choice!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I now feel very comfortable with my decision. Oh, and last night I was at the grocery store and picked up the June/July issue of Modern Bride. There is a section on Destination Weddings and guess who is the photographer for the featured Hawaiian wedding? Yep!

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Nice! Modern Bride''s not too shabby of an endorsement!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results