shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my favor/placecard idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I love these!!!! I think they would make cute favors, and I was thinking that we could attach the placecard to them at the table. What do you think? (Outside wedding by a lake)
They are $3 EACH on the david''s bridal website, but someone on ebay is selling 80 of them (the perfect number) for $150!! That''s almost a hundred dollars in savings. Only problem, they are black. I would paint them, if you can even paint tin, and if that is even safe.

mini lanterns.jpg

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
Luckystar I love the idea!! I was thinking of something similar because I am also having an outdoor wedding but yours are much cuter.

Maybe Michaels or Hobby Lobby would carry something similar in case you can''t paint them.

But either way- great idea! They would look darling on the table and add nice ambient light as well as serve as a cute take home favor! Congrats!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE them... I am considering them myself (I want a beach wedding). I''m sure you can paint them, but it would sure be a pain since you would have to tape off the glass or take time to use a very steady hand. At americanbridal.com they were $3.40 each!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Those are so pretty! I bet you can paint them, but it just won''t be very easy unless you can take the glass out or something.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I actually have these lanterns, but they are 10" tall. I'm using them as the centerpieces for half of the tables for our outdoor beach wedding. I bought mine at a store we have in New England called Christmas Tree Shops and they were $5 each. The smaller ones like the ones you have pictured were $1 each.

I actually did try to paint mine. I bought mine in an ivory color and plan to fill them with cranberries since all of the cranberry bogs around here will be harvesting the week of our wedding. I thought the ivory and cranberry might look a tad "Christmasy", so I tried to paint them a champagne color. I bought an extra lantern to test the painting process and it didn't go well. The glass is glued in and is not removable. Because the metal "x"s are right over the glass, it required a lot of taping. It took me about an hour to do one of the larger ones (I think the taping might be more difficult for the small ones), so I decided to just make the ivory work.

I really like the lanterns themselves, they're great, I just wanted to let you know that painting them is a bit of a hassle. Once you get it figured out, you might be on a role, but the thought of taping 80 of those puppies makes my head spin!

weddinglanterns456.jpg

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
My mom thinks they''re tacky.
20.gif

She has the WORST taste...I swear.

I can''t believe they''re only $1 at the xmas tree shop! My mom goes there all the time. (I''m originally from Maine.)
Maybe I can convince her to go there. I''m gonna check Michael''s and hobby lobby too to see if they have any in white or ivory and how much they are.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think they're cute! And I think they're really appropriate for your wedding on the lake!

I bought these back in June, then didn't see them again for months. I've been trying to find some simple canvas totes to put a bunch of local stuff in for our out-of-town guests, so I went to three different xmas tree shop stores this weekend--one Framingham, one in Stoughton and one in Pembroke (where I bought the original lamps) and strangely enough, they popped back up in the Framingham store. They only had a few larger ones--no small ones--but they might still be floating around. It's probably safer to stick with ebay, though. I love it when lots come in the EXACT number you need!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Those would be great at an outdoor wedding!

Have you tried to contact the seller and see if they have them available in other colors?

If not, I say go for the painting...just be careful with flammability issues!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG! I''m planning to do the same thing. We''re hoping to do a late afternoon-dusk wedding on the beach so we hope to use the lanterns at the ceremony (give to people to hold while on the beach) and then on the tables at the reception. I know Ikea has them but not nearly as cheaply as the Christmas Tree Shop it appears (I think they''re $5 at Ikea). Great minds think a like!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
New England Lady-Check the Ikea in Stoughton if you still need them. You can also get tealights there in bulk for a good price.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m at that Ikea (or at Costco) once a week, haha. We definitely have enough centerpiece lanterns, but I still need candles. It might not be a bad idea to get an extra lantern or two, just in case the glass breaks en route to the venue...

Love your idea, Hudson, to give them to the guests so they can walk around the beach. Our reception will be around sunset and I plan to light the lanterns as the sun is setting so it would be nice to give the guests a little lantern so they can still enjoy the setting without having to walk around in the dark. I hope the candle light is enough, I''m still thinking about getting some paper lanterns, but I''m running out of time! :)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re hoping that the effect on the beach will be like an aisle runner. Little spots of light lining the aisle. I have no idea if it will be enough light but I think it could be a fun way to get the audience involved with the ceremony.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE those!
30.gif
They make me wish I was having an outdoor wedding...darn that Pittsburgh weather! Oh well, I''ll just have to drool over pictures of all of yours!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results