clarity

What do you think of Caitlyn Jenner as ‘Woman Of The Year’

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What do you think of Caitlyn Jenner as ‘Woman Of The Yea

CJ2008|1448304527|3953194 said:
http://www.inquisitr.com/2582786/caitlyn-jenner-award-controversy/

I think she shouldn't have accepted it...

Why not?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mind-less

As my southern aunt would say: A cat can give birth to kittens in an oven, but that don't make them biscuits.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

I think what she did took a whole lot of guts. I wish she wouldn't make ridiculous comments like "the hardest part of being a woman is deciding what to wear".

And the award came from Glamour. Really, I didn't realize they were still publishing Glamour. Who cares?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1448305759|3953204 said:
CJ2008|1448304527|3953194 said:
http://www.inquisitr.com/2582786/caitlyn-jenner-award-controversy/

I think she shouldn't have accepted it...

Why not?

Because if it was given for her just coming out, although courageous, shouldn't make anyone woman of the year...(although granted I don't know how Glamour defines it).

And it's my understanding that she received other awards for her courage, etc.

If it were me, I would have said thanks, but I've already received enough recognition for this - give it to someone else deserving of it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't care, honestly. I can't be bothered to worry about whatever celebrity is winning some meaningless award--that family in particular. The notion that a transgender person is honored as one gender or another is not a problem for me. It doesn't make me less of a woman just like legalizing gay marriage doesn't make my hetero marriage anything less than marriage. In other words, it's no skin off my back.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lulu|1448306397|3953211 said:
I think what she did took a whole lot of guts. I wish she wouldn't make ridiculous comments like "the hardest part of being a woman is deciding what to wear".

And the award came from Glamour. Really, I didn't realize they were still publishing Glamour. Who cares?

Well that's true Glamour isn't an authority on anything.

Just something about it rubbed me the wrong way even though I agree that what she did took a lot of guts.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1448306609|3953213 said:
The notion that a transgender person is honored as one gender or another is not a problem for me.

Oh, absolutely. None of what I said stems from me thinking / feeling "she's not even a real woman."

(BTW - in case it seems as if I am irate or losing sleep over this - no...I don't follow celebrities as it is. Just saw the article and found myself almost surprised that I didn't think she should have gotten it.)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

autumngems|1448305853|3953206 said:
Mind-less

As my southern aunt would say: A cat can give birth to kittens in an oven, but that don't make them biscuits.

I've not finished reading the responses but hahahaha ohhhh shades of Sheldon's mother, that just made me chuckle.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1. I fully support what she did and think it was very brave. Moreso than just average person transitioning, because she was in the spotlight SO MUCH. But ugh, when she says things like that it just irks me.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1448307362|3953219 said:
Mind-less

I've not finished reading the responses but hahahaha ohhhh shades of Sheldon's mother, that just made me chuckle.

:lol: Yes I laughed at this too

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1448307038|3953216 said:
monarch64|1448306609|3953213 said:
The notion that a transgender person is honored as one gender or another is not a problem for me.

Oh, absolutely. None of what I said stems from me thinking / feeling "she's not even a real woman."

(BTW - in case it seems as if I am irate or losing sleep over this - no...I don't follow celebrities as it is. Just saw the article and found myself almost surprised that I didn't think she should have gotten it.)

Haha, I didn't figure you were losing sleep over it. I don't know what the award is all about, but I can't think of anything she's done to help women or whatever. But I guess when you have a stepdaughter who gained fame because your wife leaked her sex tape in which she's urinated on, how helpful are you to women's issues, really? As far as it taking guts to come out...nah. Fame whores, every one of them. Holding her up as a great example of breaking barriers and accomplishments as a woman is not my cup of tea for sure.

I have zero respect for that family if that isn't obvious.
;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think all honors for anything are kinda stupid.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, all these kinds of comments from Caitlyn grate on me too. She's what, 60 years old? I take her comments as being those of a flirtatious tweener girl just getting familiar with being a woman. Giggle giggle lots of makeup and stilettos and Oooh boys! comments. Sure, radunculous coming out of a 60-year-old person, but kind of understandable too.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mind-less

Heehee, love that!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's lovely that she got an award. If you change gender, I think there are hormone pills/suppression involved, and surgery. In addition, she would have lived her whole life up to 60 in the wrong body. Talk about stressful. I hope she has many happy decades ahead of her living authentically, which she couldn't do previously.

I'd think her comment about the hardest part being what to wear was a light-hearted joke. Maybe she sounds silly or teenage-ish to some. To me, she sounds like someone who's been through a lot and has come out the other side, and is enjoying life for a change now that her burdens have eased and she can finally be herself.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1448309864|3953249 said:
I think all honors for anything are kinda stupid.

Me too. Of course, I've never won an award.

But if I did, suddenly they'd be the most wonderful, fair, evenly judged examples of justice you could think of. :D

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I haven't given it much thought either, but my initial response is that I agree that she should have declined it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

Meh it's Glamour magazine.

I'm torn whenever I hear news about her. It's great that she's raising awareness. It's also sad that she had to hide her true self for such a long time.

She could have done without the new reality show and fake drama. It sort of cheapens the whole thing somehow.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's only Glamor magazine. It's not as if she's being offered a serious award like a Nobel prize for work she didn't do - there is no weighty moral dilemma involved. I think it would have been ungracious to decline. It's only an award offered by a magazine - who responds to those by saying "No, I'll decline because I'm not worth the award?" I would not have expected Caitlyn to do that. Angelina Jolie accepted an award from the Queen of Great Britain, but other people have declined British honors because they don't believe in monarchy, for example. That's a serious ideological stance and also it makes a strong point - "Monarchy is inappropriate today." But I can't think of any good reason to decline an award from Glamor magazine. It's just a bit of fun. Awards like this are a little dubious anyway, because there must be many thousands of women who deserve a Woman Of The Year award - how do you pick just one?

About the new reality show, maybe she needed the money?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I never saw anything about it being from a fashion magazine. All I've seen on FB is "CAITLYN JENNER WOMAN OF THE YEAR", nothing like "Voted woman of the year by Glamor magazine" or anything like that. Not like People's Sexiest Man Alive or Time's..doesn't Time have something?? Person of the year or something?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't really care one way or the other about either Glamour Magazine or the Jenner/Kardashians. I haven't watched a single episode of any of their TV shows - excepting the Pre-Caitlyn Bruce Jenner interview with Diane Sawyer(?).

I also don't think there's any way Bruce/Cailtyn could have gone through the sex change procedure without the press hounding her, so maybe her public stance is more about being smart than being brave. Whatever the reason though, I do think that what she's doing will help other people who struggle with the realization that their psychological gender doesn't fit their anatomical gender - whether or not they opt for gender re-assignment - and I applaud her for that. And if her celebrity and the light it's shining on this issue helps increase acceptance of trans-gender people, and reduce the psychological and physical violence against them, so much the better.

And a pox on the houses of those who return previously given awards because they've somehow been tainted now that the same award has been given to Caitlyn Jenner. To my mind that's just hateful and small-minded.

By the way - I was introduced to the concept of gender fluidity very early, when one of the teachers in the small Christian School I attended (apparently) revealed that she thought of herself as more male and was living with one of the other female teachers in a loving relationship. I say apparently because I was under 10 at the time, and my parents no doubt told me only part of what was going on. Even though this was the mid-sixties, and a conservative community, the couple continued on as teachers at that school.

In the wake of Caitlyn Jenner's big reveal, my local paper re-visited he family in this story: http://www.people.com/article/meet-identical-twins-jonas-nicole-maines-family-transgender-story. That little boy started questioning his sexual identity when he was two years old - clearly he was not just being PC of jumping on some bandwagon.

For some of us, growing up with a strong sense of ones own identity was/is difficult enough without also having to struggle with sexual identity. If Caitlyn Jenner is helping to ease that struggle for some people, I think that's great.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have no opinion.

I had no opinion of last year's recipient either. Or any other year's. I have no idea who any of them have been.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Yes, I realize it's only Glamour magazine and I have no idea how it would be perceived (by the magazine, readers, etc.) had she declined. Judging by the responses here, I don't think anyone would really care all that much one way or the other because after all, it's just Glamour magazine... I think that a woman of the year should be born biologically a woman. It's just my opinion. Not that I think that there is anything wrong with Caitlyn - I actually love that she is now free to live her life as that which makes her most comfortable. I also think that she was incredibly brave to finally make the switch, but that doesn't change how I feel about a woman of the year award.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I don't think about CJ or "TWOTY award" at all.

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1448319372|3953307 said:
And a pox on the houses of those who return previously given awards because they've somehow been tainted now that the same award has been given to Caitlyn Jenner. To my mind that's just hateful and small-minded.

If Caitlyn Jenner is helping to ease that struggle for some people, I think that's great.

Yes to both those statements..

And as far as returning the award...also just...silly.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1448329726|3953361 said:
VRBeauty|1448319372|3953307 said:

If Caitlyn Jenner is helping to ease that struggle for some people, I think that's great.

Yes to both those statements..

And as far as returning the award...also just...silly.

Did people really do that? Return their awards because of Caitlyn? That's just horrible. Poor Caitlyn - I hope she spends some of her money that she has due to her celebrity on some lovely bling for herself.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I did see that a man sent the award back that was given to his wife, for her actions during 9/11. I'm not sure if it was given after she died or if she died after given the award, but it said the widower sent it back.

I am suspicious of celebrities and their numerous ways to get attention and revive careers. Had this been someone nobody had ever heard of, who had done this, I could see it a little more. And really, there's people all over the country who do this, who don't make a spectacle about it and don't need to be in the news over it, they do it for themselves. I feel like true hero's don't seek out the attention to be told they're a hero and put on a pedestal.

JD saved a family from a house fire while others stood around and video taped it. The mayor wanted to give him the keys to the City. He declined. The paper even listened when he said he didn't want to be named in the article and he declined to be interviewed. There are people everywhere who go unacknowledged for incredible and amazing acts of courage.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some women wait hundreds of years to be recognized. How did she jump the queue? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I see it as a magazine that wants publicity, good or bad, is getting just what it wants. The award doesn't actually mean anything. Good for Caitlyn Jenner bringing awareness, but other than that I have no time for celebrities. I don't usually put them on pedestals. They get paid well for what they do, that should be enough recognition.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results