shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think is the best way to maintain a high level of happiness...

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Regardless of what's going on around you?

Does anyone here manage to do that, go through their days feeling pretty well fortunate and pleased and maybe even a little bit giddy sometimes, even when the world seems like it's trying to fall apart, on top of the personal burdens we all carry?

Just wondering.

Last edited:

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@seaurchin, what an interesting question. I am struggling with this right now - how about you?

Overall, I try to ensure that I spend time - even quick moments - being intentionally grateful for things (the weather, a kind gesture, a humming bird that buzzed me, etc). Personally, the more things I find to be grateful for, the happier I feel. Of course, there are limits, and I've met mine in these recent weeks. But I'm still trying and using those moments as touchstones to keep on the path and the dark at bay.

I totally agree with @Mlh - music helps. So do push ups or planks....

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Xanax.

Jk jk, but I'm way too much of an overthinker to be happy all of the time. I'm surprised I'm not more anxious of a person because I'm a bit neurotic and analytical to the point where it can be paralyzing.

Overall, right now in life I feel a deep sense of peace, but it can sometimes be muddied by the existential dread that the days monotonous tasks bubble up to the surface.

I also just had a baby six weeks ago so my hormones are still regulating and just looking at my baby feels like Crack.

I think the key for almost everyone, (not considering depression or other psychological disorders) is staying present. Staying in the moment and following your passions and bliss can only bring fulfillment. Also stop comparing yourself/body/house/life to others; we are all secret keepers and are excellent at tucking away life's traumas so our hedges appear rounded and pretty to our neighbors.

Also, sometimes life is unfair and we get thrown it all. I recommend - If you're going through it, let yourself feel it. Breakdowns are break-throughs and if you stay present and aware through it, they can be extremely cathartic. Being open to growth and change can also bring peace. Leaving space for random kindness and spontaneity can go far as well.

It's all relative but I find the pursuit to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
dont think too hard around everything
enjoy some of the simple things in life
get plenty of fresh air and sunshine
a nice walk in the rain is more often than not quite enjoyable
no matter how crappy things might be find something to be greatful for
find small things to be happy about and the bigger things will follow
do not loose your sence of wonder, let your inner child out to play
do not succumb to cynicism
dial back the sarcasm

cynicism

DutchJackie

Rough_Rock
I try to do things during the week that need my body and mind working together like playing an instrument or needle work. It relaxes me. And I try to see the things and people around me in a grateful way. And I have learned to love the mundane. I now prefer the boring weeks or days over the busy and exciting ones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
dont think too hard around everything
enjoy some of the simple things in life
get plenty of fresh air and sunshine
a nice walk in the rain is more often than not quite enjoyable
no matter how crappy things might be find something to be greatful for
find small things to be happy about and the bigger things will follow
do not loose your sence of wonder, let your inner child out to play
do not succumb to cynicism
dial back the sarcasm

cynicism

excusee all my typos
my phone finally arrived (something to be happy about)
but ill set it up tomrrow

Some lovely answers here! For me, authenticity is really important. It's a monumental win to maintain your convictions and integrity in this world sometimes. Communing with nature is also vital. Keeping in touch with friends and family is an obvious one, though sometimes you really need to will yourself on days when you'd rather be alone (which is fine sometimes too). Another one is self-care. This is a biggie that I neglected for a long time when I was in a troubled relationship. I always heard people say it, but never really understood how imperative it was. You must, MUST take care of yourself first. It can be the larger things like eating well and exercising, or it can be the seemingly smaller ones like getting your nails done or even just planning an evening around a hair mask! The last thing I would mention is not dwelling on the negative, another obvious one, but sometimes easier said than done. Turn off the news and go for a walk (preferably in the rain, as @Daisys and Diamonds said). =)2

Hugs to everyone who needs it!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question! Happiness is a bit of an illusion and personally, I have stopped chasing it. It’s not a realistic state and fluctuates so much throughout life. Contentment with my life, all the successes and failures, is what I’m aiming for. I avoid the news as there is nothing good in it, I try to exercise, have a nice glass of wine, a lovely bath, a thrilling book. All of those help. I don’t have loads of friends but the ones I do have, are good ones. Usually there is a plan for a piece of bling on the back burner somewhere (I’m trying to quell this particular part).

It’s a work in progress, but I’m trying!

Xanax.

Jk jk, but I'm way too much of an overthinker to be happy all of the time. I'm surprised I'm not more anxious of a person because I'm a bit neurotic and analytical to the point where it can be paralyzing.

Overall, right now in life I feel a deep sense of peace, but it can sometimes be muddied by the existential dread that the days monotonous tasks bubble up to the surface.

I also just had a baby six weeks ago so my hormones are still regulating and just looking at my baby feels like Crack.

I think the key for almost everyone, (not considering depression or other psychological disorders) is staying present. Staying in the moment and following your passions and bliss can only bring fulfillment. Also stop comparing yourself/body/house/life to others; we are all secret keepers and are excellent at tucking away life's traumas so our hedges appear rounded and pretty to our neighbors.

Also, sometimes life is unfair and we get thrown it all. I recommend - If you're going through it, let yourself feel it. Breakdowns are break-throughs and if you stay present and aware through it, they can be extremely cathartic. Being open to growth and change can also bring peace. Leaving space for random kindness and spontaneity can go far as well.

It's all relative but I find the pursuit to be worthwhile.

Wonderful post! And congrats on the arrival of your wee one!!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @Snowdrop13, I don't believe it's possible, or even desirable, to maintain a constant state of high happiness, if that was the case, how would we ever feel happy-er. Sadness is a natural part of life, I don't think it is something to be avoided - I don't go looking for sadness but I have found that it is better to experience the fullness of the sadness then move on. (I also heard an interesting question, if we could take a pill to avoid grief, would we do it? If a loved one died, at what point would we take the pill - minutes after their passing, to avoid the pain and sadness of their loss and to return to a previous happy state?). I aim for contentment and for me that comes from appreciation and gratitude. (Though I have to admit, like every other feeling, feelings of contentment also come and go!)

PS @Snowdrop13 I think we might be local to one another, if you every fancy a coffee, courtesy of Mr Lewis who lives at the top of the big hill, I'd be up for that :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of what goes on in the world are beyond my control, so I am not going to try and right the wrongs etc...

I can only do what I can to control my own destiny.

The latest example is that, rather than waiting for a group to make a decision to back a project that I started off my own back back in February and am willing to back it financially, I decided to cut my losses and go ahead with it on my own without their backing.

This way, I don't have to waste anymore time and energy in flogging a dead horse, and can now get on with the project as a I see fit.

DK :))

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Being older and growing past worrying what other people think has been a big one for me. Also perspective. I grew up in a disadvantaged and sometimes chaotic environment so having a quiet home, nice food, access to unlimited books and music online, and a couple of sparkles is amazing. I'm thankful every day.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like what @MrsBlue said above.
I stopped caring what others think. I do what I want.
I try not to worry about things that are out of my control. Most things work out in the end anyway.
I have lots of down time. I have a job where I work on my own, so I don't have to deal with coworkers.
On my days off from work (Fri/Sat/Sun), I don't leave the house. It's great. I don't like invitations, or social obligations.
I like to make jewelry or read a good book, or do some baking.
I also have no debt.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gratitude. I have worked very hard to train myself to live in gratitude. I have to be grateful for everything- the good, the bad, and the ugly. It sounds crazy but everything (people, places, and events) makes up my being so I must be grateful for EVERYTHING. If I have negative thoughts, I try to find some way to turn it around and 9/10 times gratitude is the way to positivity. Negativity eats me alive and a positive attitude leads to serenity which is my ultimate goal. Happiness is fleeting but serenity and the feeling that every thing is as it should be is undeniably the way I want to live.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results