shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you support?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Are there any causes you enjoy lending your support to? I don't mean this thread to be about getting others to support your cause or trying to gain new recruits it's more about what moves you.

I support a wildlife organisation in India that re-homes and rehabilitates elephants on a sanctuary. The elephants arrive at the sanctuary with their spirits broken after a hard and often abusive life at the hands of their handlers. Most have either been used as begging elephants, giving rides or been circus elephants. They arrive at the sanctuary get a proper diet, have veterinary care. They are provided with a habitat suitable for an elephant which includes swimming pools and ponds. For some of them it's the first time in their lives chains are removed from their ankles as they adjust to a life that is suited to their needs. I just love seeing the transformation that takes place via their Facebook page.

Right now two older circus elephants are being transported to the sanctuary. It's a twenty hour trip and I'm giddy with excitement and concern for them. Off to do something constructive now to take my mind off them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atheism.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Animal rights (your elephant project sounds great!)

Q

Queenie60

I support local no-kill animal rescues throughout the year. And a local community service where it's strictly a volunteer organization, they provide food and clothing for the needy and homeless in our area.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Food banks, because it's horrible to be hungry, and cancer research in honour of my grandfather, who lost his life to cancer.
My husband asks for an annual supporters subscription to Water Aid for his birthday every year, so that too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Homeless pets and rescue organizations. Sick children. Homeless and Women's shelters. Various wildlife sanctuaries charitiesl especially ones that help animals who have been the victims of human abuse.

In general I prefer animals to people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1448351709|3953486 said:
Homeless pets and rescue organizations. Sick children. Homeless and Women's shelters. Various wildlife sanctuaries charitiesl especially ones that help animals who have been the victims of human abuse.

In general I prefer animals to people.

OK I could have written this post (including the mainly preferring animals to people lol) and yes to all the above posts supporting no kill shelters and local animal rescue groups. I do not support radical animal groups like PETA. They make me sad. But yes to anyone and everyone who wants to give homeless animals a chance at a good life.

Thank you for starting this thread Polished. I love hearing what causes are near and dear to PSers hearts and it makes me happy to see many who support animals and their rights. The animals need so much help because there is still so much to be done. So many healthy animals are killed every single day because there is no one to care for them. And so many others have to fight for survival with a very poor quality of life. My heart breaks thinking of all the animal suffering there is and seeing how far we need to go.

Thank you to everyone who makes a difference. (((HUGS))).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I donate every month to the Rotary Foundation's polio plus program. For more than forty years Rotarians have donated millions of dollars towards the eradication of Polio. We are finally "That Close" to doing so. This year to date there are fewer than 60 cases of wild polio in the world, way down from the 290 cases last year. Here is a link to an interesting story about the battle that was published just yesterday. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/24/health/a-move-closer-to-total-disappearance-of-polio.html?_r=0

I grew up with the scourge of Polio raising its frightening head every summer and I knew children who contacted the disease, including a cousin who was my best friend for many years, both before he got it and after he recovered. I think it was in the third or fourth grade when I got my first polio shot at school, but that was so long ago that I am not sure. I do know that it was while I was in grade school.

I was very excited when Bill and Melinda Gates added their financial backing to the project, along with their significant cultural power.

Polio exists in the wild only in Afghanistan and Pakistan at this time. It has been fourteen or fifteen months since there has been a case in Nigeria and more than three years since there has been a case in India.

In 1952 there were more than 59,000 cases of paralytic polio in just the United States. My grandfather sent all of his children and grandchildren to live in a cabin in McCall, Idaho to keep us away from the big City of Boise, with its population of 25,000 or so. I would have been five that year. Or as we kids said, "Five-and-a-half!" Only the men were allowed to stay and work during the week, and then join their families in McCall for the weekends. For many years after, my mom would take all comers at the cabin for the summer, so there was a mob that varied between 8 and 17 kids terrorizing the bay our cabin was on every summer. We kids loved it and so did their parents. I think my mom must have been either a saint or more likely, a glutton for punishment. It stopped only after all of us grew up and went to college.

I also make smaller donations to several other things, but polio is my personal biggie. I am looking forward to another few years when I can redirect my polio donations to another worthy program.

Thank you for asking, it is nice to devote some thought to something that has become "Just a habit." I think it is a good habit and it makes my heart smile to see the things that others give to. It is part of the reason I like being a member of this community.

Wink

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wounded Warriors
Hubbard House - for women leaving abuse in the home, normally with kids. Local Organization
Pink Ribbn - local group earning money for breast cancer patients. They buy wigs and back packs full do stuff to take home form the hospital after surgery.
Jay Fund- created by Tom Coughlin for Kids with Illnesses. Named after a Player that passed
City Rescue Mission -They Feed the Homeless also local

My Favorite each year. We pick an angel off the tree at the YMCA and we buy everything on their list. My daughter and I have done this every year for the past 10 years. This year we hav a 14 year old girl who likes to draw and lives Soccer.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Like Gypsy I prefer animals to people but DH insists that we give money to people. The regular monthly checks go to Christian Children's Fund, Salvation Army, Catholic Relief Services, World Society for the Protection of Animals and a local dog sanctuary.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread! We have supported our local fire company, a handful of animal shelters, Philabundance food bank and another local charity that provides clothing and school supplies to children in need. Since one of our very good friends was diagnosed with ALS in 2014, we have dedicated all of our income we would have otherwise donated (and then some) and fundraising efforts to ALS TDI. We've also given money directly to his Trust. With ALS progression is fast and the cost of the associated medical care is enough to bankrupt a family quickly.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I support women and children. I support my local food bank. We do something for Christmas every year for children in developing countries. I support animal organizations. I do a little bit in a bunch of places.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I help run a local babywearing group in my area. We teach (and often lend) out carriers to moms/people who are interested in babywearing-and teach them to use carriers properly and also help them discover which carrier is right for them.

In the future I plan on spending time at the local womens shelter down the road from us as well as the youth shelter in town. Both of these are very close to my heart (domestic violence in my house before foster care) as well as the youth shelter since I can relate to most of them that pass though there.

I love that you support an elephant sanctuary-elephants (and puffins) are close to my heart. Breaks my heart to think of how they've been used in war (along with horses and other animals) though out history or taken for the amusement/show of humans. One day I'd really like to go help out at one-get some hand on experience. That's a long way off though with a 3 yr old and a 3 month old!

We also sponsor a child in Indonesia-its not a lot but its enough to get him to school/food for the family/teach a skill. I hope to get there one day too and visit :)

I sometimes donate to our local food bank but that's something I need to get better at doing. We are very blessed to be able to buy mostly organic/farm fresh/raised stuff and I take it for granted. I have a 'rough' budget but I don't have to follow it and I have friends who I invite over who aren't always able to feed their families bc $ is super tight so I try to drop off eggs/leftovers/home made chicken stock when I can.

I really want to do a local garden and even my nurse practitioner said it was a great idea-however the town had their panties up in a bunch on who would pay the water bill so she was unable to do it :( I wish it was an option to let us pay it-if it's that big of a freakin deal :nono:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VintageLover, have you thought about getting a grant to cover water expenses? To avoid a monthly water bill you could look into other means of irrigation such as rain barrel collection and soaker hose distribution. With careful planning you could probably have a successful garden without having to use your city's water.

I joined my local Master Gardener Association a couple years ago and just became a board member. It's a volunteer program, and I spend time in the field educating people about gardening. I also volunteer at fund-raising events like a local food kitchen that has a garden where they get a lot of their produce. In the winter I help with the maple syrup making process at a historic farmstead. I can give people money and food all day long, but teaching them how to grow their own with very few resources and space (and how to utilize what they grow in a healthy manner) is the gift that keeps on giving, for me.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything having to do with helping animals...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of Animal lovers here. I also have a charity I support and love that I forgot to list.

Big Cat Rescue. They have a Facebook Page you can see the big cats they've rescued living in a nearly wild environment and how they rehab the ones that were rescued from small cages, cat acts like road side circuses and illegal ownership.

http://bigcatrescue.org

The recently rescued a cougar with horrible hip issues and did two major surgeries so he could get around better. http://bigcatrescue.org/mickey/

The also just received bobcat kittens from a fire. They rehab them with no human inprinting and then set them free.

It's very fun to watch the enrichment videos.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for helping the elephant sanctuary. I will look into donating to a sanctuary I love elephants.

I donate to many different animal causes on my behalf and for my mother's birthday and the holidays. She prefers I donate to her favorite causes than give her gifts.

I also donate to Thyca research. I volunteer when I can at a soup kitchen "the busiest restaurant in NYC" it's hard to watch the amount of people that come through those doors, all walks of life including people coming out of work who even working can't afford a meal.

It's good to see the many people that help others out. Good job everyone!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love supporting our local womens shelter. My mom ended up in a few over the years, so I'm happy to repay their generosity.

I also support a few of our dog rescues in the area. I've been thinking about fostering, but I don't think I'm allowed haha. So I've been in contact looking for something else I can help them out with.

Q

Queenie60

telephone89|1448399128|3953696 said:
I love supporting our local womens shelter. My mom ended up in a few over the years, so I'm happy to repay their generosity.

I also support a few of our dog rescues in the area. I've been thinking about fostering, but I don't think I'm allowed haha. So I've been in contact looking for something else I can help them out with.

I fostered a female dog about 6 years ago and she's still with me! Didn't have the heart to toss her yet to another home. Poor little girl, she was beaten and had a broken paw when I took her in. She's only 10 lbs. What cruel person would do such a thing? I can't foster any longer as I can't let go of them!

Hummm - women's shelter, I'll look into our local women's shelter to do some volunteer work. Thank's for the idea Telephone.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1448400579|3953713 said:
I fostered a female dog about 6 years ago and she's still with me! Didn't have the heart to toss her yet to another home. Poor little girl, she was beaten and had a broken paw when I took her in. She's only 10 lbs. What cruel person would do such a thing? I can't foster any longer as I can't let go of them!

Hummm - women's shelter, I'll look into our local women's shelter to do some volunteer work. Thank's for the idea Telephone.
I would love to foster, but my partner doesn't want any pets at this time :(

One Christmas the shelter gave us a list (I made my work sponsor them as our charity!) for a family, and we bought the family xmas gifts. It was so sweet, and they were soo happy! One of my favourite things ever.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alzheimers Association
American Cancer Society
Epilepsy Foundation
A Local Food Pantry

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1448408958|3953755 said:
Planned Parenthood.

Oh, that's a good reminder. I need to donate to them this year!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1448432922|3953917 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1448408958|3953755 said:
Planned Parenthood.

Oh, that's a good reminder. I need to donate to them this year!

Thank you for this Asscherhalo Lover. Planned Parenthood will also be added our list this year.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1448401560|3953718 said:

One Christmas the shelter gave us a list (I made my work sponsor them as our charity!) for a family, and we bought the family xmas gifts. It was so sweet, and they were soo happy! One of my favourite things ever.

Were doing this at work this year.

My DW and I are also supporting a group in our area who is sponsoring a Syrian Family. Wishing I could do more to contribute.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I support http://hamlin.org.au/ the Fistula Hospital in Ethiopia.

Quick blurb in case anyone is wondering what it's about:

Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia (Australia) is an Australian charity which was created at the request of Dr Catherine Hamlin to raise funds exclusively for the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, five regional centres, the Hamlin College of Midwives and Desta Mender, a farm and training centre for long-term patients. Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia (Australia) is the only organisation in Australia authorised to represent the work of Dr Catherine Hamlin and her team in Ethiopia. Dr Hamlin is our patron.

For a population of almost 100 million, Ethiopia has less than 200 obstetrician/gynaecologists and less than 5,000 trained midwives. A woman dies every two minutes due to pregnancy and childbirth related complications. Most of these largely preventable deaths occur in low-income countries like Ethiopia and in poor and rural areas.

There has been much improvement though, with this horrific death toll being halved in the last 20 years, from one woman dying in pregnancy or childbirth every minute, to one every two minutes. There is still much work to be done. Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia is working towards the eradication of obstetric fistula from Ethiopia altogether. This is through treatment, rehabilitation and the training of midwives. The number one way to prevent obstetric fistula is to provide the women of Ethiopia with emergency obstetric services.

I read two books about Dr Hamlin's life story and was deeply touched by her determination & devotion to these women and how such a simple operation can be literally life changing for them.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1448478298|3954106 said:
telephone89|1448401560|3953718 said:

Were doing this at work this year.

My DW and I are also supporting a group in our area who is sponsoring a Syrian Family. Wishing I could do more to contribute.
That is so sweet - you will love it! We got the cutest little letters from them after, I might have had to close my door because I had something massive in my eye!

I want to donate some things to our refugees. I have at least 3 jackets I never wear, my H has 2 almost identical jackets that we discovered in the closet- I'm sure they would appreciate it way more than I. I like to donate my time as I can't always donate as much monetarily as I'd like. Not sure if it's an option for you, but you can reach out to some of the organizations and see if they need people to go pick up donations. A lot of people will donate, but can't get to a certain 'center' or whatever, so pickups are often life savers.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Veterans (local chapter). The food bank. The Cerebral Palsy Association. University scholarship fund. Kids telephone/help line. Local charity that helps young adults who are homeless.

cheers--Sharon

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I've enjoyed reading the diverse range of causes Pricescopers support.

I've sometimes heard people say things like; "if I was a millionaire I'd give money to such and such cause" but I think Jane Goodall sums up giving to anything well, when she put it like this, "None of us can solve the entire problem alone, but each of us in our small way should feel good about what we can do."

There has been a huge public awareness campaign going on about domestic violence this year in Australia. I've always thought this is an issue needing serious attention. I hope the momentum continues.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results