shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do when....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you want to redesign an existing ring, have looked at a zillion pictures for inspiration and can't make up your mind what style you want. I've been flip flopping for a year on a new setting for my AVC and can't settle on anything. Keep it vintage, make it ultra modern, solitaire, blinged out, incorporate colored stones in the design? I think I've been a member so long and have seen so many gorgeous rings here that it has hampered my ability to make a decision. I think I want to use french cuts in the design and if I use colored stones, I think I want tsavs and maybe alternate diamond and tsavs in the band but maybe not and that's as far as I've gotten. Any ideas on what I can do to break through this roadblock. I'm sooooooo frustrated ;(

Reactions: AV_

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I start by wondering how I would wear this new ring?
1. Will this be worn as a RHR? Or on my left?
2. Is this an alternate “e-ring?”
3. Do I want to wear a band with this ring?

Then I start to narrow:
1. If this is a RHR - then I go blingy and non-traditional and go from there.
2. If this is an alternative “e-ring” do I want to wear a band?
.... if yes will the band be colored or do I want to incorporate other metal color combinations of so would having colored gemstones in my main ring limit my band choices to diamonds only?

If wearing bands I tend to go for more simple design but also depends on what bands I plan to pair with the ring.

If this an e-ring alternative and I don’t plan on wearing a band but I want to incorporate color what color will I not get sick of?:confused2:

After I sort the above then I figure out the elements, clean and modern or vintage? And how I want the basket to be but most certainly has to be easily accessible for cleaning.
This is just my thought process but sometimes It doesn’t go as planned haha

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do what I do, try it ALL with moissanite first and then commit to a piece :lol:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun problem to have though, no? :dance:
I will usually make a photo collage of the runners up and then study the side by sides for hours. Like PP I would first decide the function of said ring. A RHR for me would need to be extra comfy and low set. Have fun with it! Looking forward to your decision!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I put it aside. Usually I can make a decision if I let it sit and don't think about it for a bit. Also, I look at what I have and what I like about each option already, so I don't end up with an almost identical piece.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do I do if I can't make up my mind?? I leave it alone until I'm 100% positive... still waiting on that day. LOL

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the road blocking taking the fun out of this process? If so take a break and come back to it in a few months.

I can’t wait to see what you decide.

I am exactly like @msop04 because I’ve made a few costly mistakes.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you want to redesign an existing ring, have looked at a zillion pictures for inspiration and can't make up your mind what style you want. I've been flip flopping for a year on a new setting for my AVC and can't settle on anything. Keep it vintage, make it ultra modern, solitaire, blinged out, incorporate colored stones in the design? I think I've been a member so long and have seen so many gorgeous rings here that it has hampered my ability to make a decision. I think I want to use french cuts in the design and if I use colored stones, I think I want tsavs and maybe alternate diamond and tsavs in the band but maybe not and that's as far as I've gotten. Any ideas on what I can do to break through this roadblock. I'm sooooooo frustrated ;(

Find a designer and hand the lot over with "here, you figure this out" ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until you feel more confident about one setting. It's hard to narrow it down because there are so many gorgeous rings out there. The more choices the more challenging the decision.

I have been having the same dilemma with my OEC that has been in its temporary setting for over a year now. I know there isn't one perfect choice but there is one best choice and I say wait til you figure out what that best choice for you is. Unless you have lots of disposable income and then I say try as many as you like. :kiss:

I wouldn't want to hand control over to a designer unless they know your taste and preferences better than you do.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until you feel more confident about one setting. It's hard to narrow it down because there are so many gorgeous rings out there. The more choices the more challenging the decision.

I have been having the same dilemma with my OEC that has been in its temporary setting for over a year now. I know there isn't one perfect choice but there is one best choice and I say wait til you figure out what that best choice for you is. Unless you have lots of disposable income and then I say try as many as you like. :kiss:

I wouldn't want to hand control over to a designer unless they know your taste and preferences better than you do.

This. Definitely.
I feel fortunate to be out of the "guinea pig" phase with a small handful of vendors - they're (hopefully!) going to be my forever vendors!
(Whether they like it or not! :lol:)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @missy said, with all the beautiful designs to choose from the decision can be difficult. @D&T offered really good advice. How will it be worn and which hand, etc.
Is there a particular vendor whose talent or aesthetic speaks to you?
What a fun dilemma to have! I hope you find what scratches your itch.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find a designer and hand the lot over with "here, you figure this out"
That's what I'll likely do after I get a better idea of what style I want. It's what I did when I had the current setting made and a definite option for the new one.

Thanks to all who responded. My two "for certains" are that the diamond must be low set and the setting has to be comfortable to wear.

This is the current RHR setting that I had BGD make as a celebratory retirement gift for myself. It's platinum and I'm leaning toward yellow gold this time with the diamond maybe set in a platinum head. Funny how life brings you full circle. Wore gold for the first 1/3 of my adult life, switched to platinum and now I'm drawn back to a warmer looking metal. I love rose gold but not for this project.

josette.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata I SOOOOO feel your pain! Coming up on 6 months now with the Tycoon diamond in the safe, but I am getting closer to finalizing what I want, and I’m getting there by just staying true to what I wear & love. Good luck with the process & deciding! :wavey:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Savor the blissful freedom of endless possibilities and enjoy the brainstorming process! Don't put any time pressure on yourself. When you come across The One, you'll know.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe put it aside for a few weeks. :think: Focus on the remainder of your jewels - what are you missing? What would really fill the gap in your collection? How could this piece fit with the others you own? Is there a distinct theme of what you are drawn to...?

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm in complete nodding my head agreement with all the very wise jewellery lovers on here in saying focus on what your collection is missing.
I used to just love everything I ever saw, wanted it, even if it wasn't practical or achievable etc. Now I find myself stopping and asking a few key questions.
If you have something made that isn't the same as anything else in your collection, maybe you'll reach for it more?
My head was swimming for ages figuring out what to do for my new everything ring. It had to tick quite a few boxes long term, which felt very pressured! But once I'd elimated lots of styles and eras which weren't quite as 'wearable' for everyday, I decided really easily.
I'm sure when you know, you'll know and all the other smaller details will click into place.
Can't wait to see what you do!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy what you like RIGHT NOW, not what you think you'll like 10 years from now.

If you knew you were going to die 2 years from now, what would you want to wear until then?

It's metal and rocks. Don't let it consume so much of your time and thought, or have an abnormal effect on your emotional well-being. These are all decisions that can be reversed. It's just not that big of a deal.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like you know its a the reset, low setting and comfortable. Now you must decide which finger on your right hand. Then the type of style for that finger. Maybe u prefer a diferent style for middle than the ring finger or index finger on right hand? That may help narrow down style.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just not that big of a deal.
I think that's the problem. Although I want a reset because I miss wearing the diamond, I'm not much into jewelry for myself anymore. I get more pleasure these days from watching others acquire and enjoy their stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results