shape
carat
color
clarity

What Do You Do When Your Appraisal Report Is Different Than The GIA Cert????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bobby2175

Rough_Rock
Ok, I really need some help on this one. I just purchased a diamond online with a lot of help from everyone on this board...especially Rich. Thank you all.

My problem is that I went and had it appraised today, and it really didn''t go as planned. For the most part, everything went fine, but the GIA Graduate Gemologist graded my color as F, and my symmetry as Good. My GIA Cert shows color as E, and symmetry as Very Good. Now I''m sitting here wondering what to do next.

The specs on the stones are as follows:

GIA Cert
Carat: 1.419
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Meas: 7.25X7.31X4.42
Depth %: 60.7
Table %: 56.1
Pav Angle: 40.9
Crown Angle: 32.9
Polish: VG
Symm: VG
Culet: .5
Girdle Thin to Medium

Scores a .7 on HCA.

And thanks to Rich, the DiamCalc comes out like this:

Light Return (mono)…...: 1.01 Very Good
Light Return (stereo)…..: 0.98 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (mono)..: 1.03 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (stereo).: 1.05 Very Good+
Contrast............................: 0.96 Very Good
(Non) FishEye Effect…...: 1.00 Very Good

I spent $7850 on the stone, but now I''m a little concerned
confused.gif
having two different views of the same stone.

Any thoughts??? I could really use some advice...just to keep my sanity
errrr.gif
if nothing else. And what do you think of the price? Assuming all else is equal, should I expect to pay less than $7850 for a stone that is F in color and Good in symmetry when compared to the E and VG on the GIA cert?

Thanks for reading.

Bobby C.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/17/2003 2:15:13 PM bobby2175 wrote:
Ok, I really need some help on this one. I just purchased a diamond online with a lot of help from everyone on this board...especially Rich. Thank you all.

My problem is that I went and had it appraised today, and it really didn't go as planned. For the most part, everything went fine, but the GIA Graduate Gemologist graded my color as F, and my symmetry as Good. My GIA Cert shows color as E, and symmetry as Very Good. Now I'm sitting here wondering what to do next.

Hi Bobby- I would trust the GIA cert. Keep in mind when an appraiser looks at a stone an evaluation might be a color grade off. GIA labs have stringent regs and equipment they use when grading a stone. I would go with the GIA cert.

-Josh

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
bobby2175
Did you give the appraiser the GIA certificate when you gave him your diamond? Is your diamond set? Did you ask the appraiser if the certificate was the correct one for the diamond? Does the appraiser have a diamond master color set or a CZ set? These questions can go on forever.
The main question is: do the diamond and the certificate match? If they do ask yourself this: who do I trust the most...three professional diamond graders grading diamonds under ideal conditions day after day or an appraiser that occasionally grades a diamiond under less than ideal conditions? There are hundreds or maybe thousands of GIA GG's that would not even pass the GIA-GTL eye test. Find out if the diamond matches the cert and you will have your answer.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bobby. Don't sweat it. Trust the cert. The appraiser's grading, measurements, characteristics, and plotting probably verify that the diamond is the same one profiled on the GIA cert, right?

So you got cert verification, and that appraiser's opinion on quality, which was very close. As DimonBob points out, the GIA graders that graded that stone (2 minimum, possibly 3) probably grade more stones in a day than that appraiser grades in a month.

In all likelihood, the GIA grading is the correct grading, unless this guy is a real maven. Could be, but the chances are small. The point is moot because you have the certification issued straight from the "gods" of the grading industry.

About the price- Excellent. Even if the stone happened to be an F color (which it probably isn't), there's only a 4.8% difference in price between the two, and it would still be an excellent price as an F!

Nice stone Bobby. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results