shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 12:00:37 AM
Author: Gemma45
Hi,
35.gif

I am new to PS, and this looked like an interesting thread to start posting in.

I am a Technology Trainer for our local school district so I can be close to our children. We use and incorporate a lot of new software every year, so I teach district employees how to use the applications whether it be for students to use or for them to use. My DH is a Network Engineer.

Welcome, Gemma!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Middle management hell.

Just enough clout to be held responsible for everyone''s mistakes.

Not enought clout to be consulted, deferred to, or be ''in charge'' of much more than myself.

I may hyperbolize . . . but not much. (Is hyperbolize a word?
3.gif
)

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 11:57:10 AM
Author: HollyS
(Is hyperbolize a word?
3.gif
)

Not only is it a word in my life, but it might be a constant state of being.
2.gif

I am a graduate student for 141 more days; then I become a professor! (Not that I am counting or anything).

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am a research scientist at a big medical research institute in Melbourne. I am also back at uni doing my postgrad diploma in laboratory medicine, so I will be qualified to do diagnostic pathology in a few years. Just getting some more letters for my resume and expanding my opportunities for when we have kidlets.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 7:56:51 PM
Author: charbie
Date: 3/26/2010 12:21:40 PM

Author: Girlrocks

I own my own business doing consulting work for skilled nursing facilities and nursing homes. DH is a director of a retirement community.

i SOOOOOOOOOO wish there was PM and we could talk about this! seriously! where do you live? what kind of consulting?? tell me more, tell me more!

i''m the admissions and marketing director for a skilled nursing facility. i am part-way through my AIT to become a licensed nursing home administrator.

(i''ve wanted to do this since i was 18 working at a retirement community...i''d love to be an ED one day!!!!)
Hi charbie and Girlrocks!
35.gif

My (late) grandfather actually started a nursing home corporation back in the 1960''s. My mother and father were both nursing home administrators and made me promise that I would never, ever go into health care administration! Haha. I''m so used to hearing many cynical views on it that it''s lovely and refreshing to hear people who are so passionate about it!

....... And I just realized I completely threadjacked. Sorry!!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a full time student until August 7. Then I have no idea! I hope to get into the jewelry field. I love sales and would love to see jewelry as a profession. Maybe one day be a part owner of a jewelry store?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I work in field support and corrective billing for an energy company.

FI just left his job in broadcast sales management. In other words, I'm the breadwinner at the moment and despising every second of it.
14.gif

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
I work as a Benefits Administrator(enrollment & maintenance) at a small private pharmacy college.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock

I own my own business doing consulting work for skilled nursing facilities and nursing homes. DH is a director of a retirement community.
i SOOOOOOOOOO wish there was PM and we could talk about this! seriously! where do you live? what kind of consulting?? tell me more, tell me more!

i''m the admissions and marketing director for a skilled nursing facility. i am part-way through my AIT to become a licensed nursing home administrator.
(i''ve wanted to do this since i was 18 working at a retirement community...i''d love to be an ED one day!!!!)
I live in MD. My consulting work varies depending on what the client contracts for. From basic billing...(Medicare, insurance, private), to MDS, also chart reviews to make sure all T''s are crossed and I''s are dotted for state inspections/following all state regulations, sit in on care plan meetings, oversee admissions, provide education/training sessions for nurses/MD''s in the clinics...basically, they come to me to make sure that what they are doing will be paid for by someone, and that they don''t get in trouble with the state and lose their license.

I work from home and go out 1 day a week to visit my clients. Most I just drop off/pick up, at one location I maintain an office because I do my most indepth consulting work there.

My business has really grown just by word of mouth and honestly, it''s too much for me right now. I have a partner, we have had to hire on 2 staff people, I am in my office 8 hours during the day, then most nights after my kids go to bed, and at least 4-6 hours on a weekend working. I am attached to my blackberry 24/7 because either a staff member or someone from one of my client locations is contacting me every 5 minutes it seems. Right now I am looking into leasing office space because it''s outgrowing my home office. What started out as a part-time side job to make some extra money has turned into a full-time business.

ProseCuter

Rough_Rock
DH and I are both attorneys, though he practices in the civil area and I''m in criminal.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Engineer, currently working in a nuclear power plant (the pay is well above average - so is the stress).

I also have a side business with internet marketing/business development. Slowly growing - and what I see as my future.

Perry

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness, you are all so talented!
36.gif

I was in charge of student finance at my local college, until I left in Dec 2004 to set up a planning consultancy with my husband.

I found out I was pregnant with our (much longed for) daughter, Sara in May 2005 and haven''t worked since then. ( other than to help out in the business.)

I am now at (my old) college retraining to do the one thing I am truly good at and I adore. I will soon be a self employed Make Up Artist!

Rather different for the financial career my parents insisted upon. However even they have said that they have never seen me happier and they somewhat regret not letting me follow my dream when I left school. i don''t regret a thing. I have the man and daughter of my dreams and I am currently fulfilling my lifetime ambition!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 11:37:28 AM

I live in MD. My consulting work varies depending on what the client contracts for. From basic billing...(Medicare, insurance, private), to MDS, also chart reviews to make sure all T''s are crossed and I''s are dotted for state inspections/following all state regulations, sit in on care plan meetings, oversee admissions, provide education/training sessions for nurses/MD''s in the clinics...basically, they come to me to make sure that what they are doing will be paid for by someone, and that they don''t get in trouble with the state and lose their license.

I work from home and go out 1 day a week to visit my clients. Most I just drop off/pick up, at one location I maintain an office because I do my most indepth consulting work there.

My business has really grown just by word of mouth and honestly, it''s too much for me right now. I have a partner, we have had to hire on 2 staff people, I am in my office 8 hours during the day, then most nights after my kids go to bed, and at least 4-6 hours on a weekend working. I am attached to my blackberry 24/7 because either a staff member or someone from one of my client locations is contacting me every 5 minutes it seems. Right now I am looking into leasing office space because it''s outgrowing my home office. What started out as a part-time side job to make some extra money has turned into a full-time business.
very cool business. i work for a very large corporation, so our consultants are our district team members. i''m sorry it is such a handful right now! but what a great business to have. one thing i would love to do is become an "eden alternative" consultant to help make buildings more focused on person-centered care. it''s been a pretty big passion of mine, so i''d love to do something with it one day. but first, i need that license!

TG- i have many days where i''ll question what in the world i''m doing. but working with a geriatric population is something i really do enjoy, and i figured if i did not take advantage of it, i was doing a diservice to myself and other people, since so many people are "anti old people." my boss regularly says, "are you SURE this is something you want to do?"- on friday my day began before i even got out of bed with calls to my cell phone asking me a bunch of questions, and it only got worse as the day went on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results