shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you all think of the Lincoln dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is especially for Storm and Dancing Fire. First off I have to say I am not a coin collector, though my daughter and I have recently received a collection of interesting but not particularly valuable coins from around the world. When I went onto the US mint site I found out they are making a dollar coin to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln''s birth. When I was growing up Abraham Lincoln was my idol. As a kid I once I dressed up as him to give a talk about his life, visited the place in Springfield where he taught law, and even memorized the Gettysburg address (I can''t do it now). I am tempted to get this coin, but I don''t know if I should since I''m trying not to spend unnecessary money. I am just worried if I don''t buy one now, would it be possible to get one later or would it be more expensive/difficult?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or another question, what would be another lincoln coin/commemorative that would be neat to have, around or less than that same price?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm
There really is not telling what will happen with commemorative coins price wise.

My opinion is treat it like a jewelery purchase.
If it is something you will love and have the funds to comfortable purchase then go for it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Storm. The other option is to wait when Lincoln comes out on the regular dollar coin (2010?) and get a bunch of those then. Part of my ambivelance is I like the back alot, but would have preferred a seated or a profile version of Lincoln.

Here''s an off the wall question, if you were going to buy a couple silver coins to share with your kids, which ones would they be? (and within a reasonable price amount)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:51:12 PM
Author: part gypsy
Here's an off the wall question, if you were going to buy a couple silver coins to share with your kids, which ones would they be? (and within a reasonable price amount)
I love silver eagles.
I have given several as gifts for the year they were born.
I don't bother with the top end coins on those and just get the regular ones in round plastic coin cases.
They are just a little over spot in coin shops or ebay for most years.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 10:01:38 AM
Author:part gypsy
This is especially for Storm and Dancing Fire. First off I have to say I am not a coin collector, though my daughter and I have recently received a collection of interesting but not particularly valuable coins from around the world. When I went onto the US mint site I found out they are making a dollar coin to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln''s birth. When I was growing up Abraham Lincoln was my idol. As a kid I once I dressed up as him to give a talk about his life, visited the place in Springfield where he taught law, and even memorized the Gettysburg address (I can''t do it now). I am tempted to get this coin, but I don''t know if I should since I''m trying not to spend unnecessary money. I am just worried if I don''t buy one now, would it be possible to get one later or would it be more expensive/difficult?
PG
IMO...all these modern day coins that are coming out of the US mint is a big rip off. i will not pay a premium for anything that was made yesterday.it is ok to buy one,but don''t expect any of these modern coins to go up in value soon.infact,after all the hype is over you''ll probably able buy it on ebay cheaper than from the US mint .

btw; how much they want for these Lincoln dollars ?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So looking, those are the dollars with the lady on it, but they are called eagles, correct? They are lovely coins. The other coin I think it would be cool to get is a mercury dime. I actually remember them floating around at one time but don''t see them anymore.

Well, I went ahead and bought a Lincoln dollar, it''s not going to break me and it goes for a good cause. I just got an uncirculated one because I want to be able to take it out and look at it. But in general think the silver I''ll collect is the kind I can wear as in earrings and braceletes
2.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing, 31.95 for uncirculated, and 37.95 for proof. I kind of agree it''s a little silly; I don''t want to become one of those people buying stuff from the Franklin mint. I would also think it would be neat to have a gold coin, but the prices of those are so high not going to go there.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey since Strm and DF are here, great to get a guy''s opinion but anyone can pitch in. Last couple years when our family gets together at the cabin, we had treasure, or scavenger hunts for the kids, boys and girls ranging from 5-12 (our friends'' kids participate too). The last time we did it the prize was a jar of old marbles. What are some other objects/prizes that kids would think cool but won''t break the bank?

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I''m glad you bought it, if nothing else, just for the momento for you. After all, some people think jewelry is silly, but others find it highly personal.

"To each his own"... did Lincoln say that?
LOL... Just kidding.. it was Cicero... I looked it up!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Debshine for enabling. Learning the Gettysburg was due to a contest in our class that if anyone could memorize the Gettysburg address you would get a prize, but I think I was the only one who took up the offer. I received a replica of the address on old looking paper (parchment) and a postcard of his childhood home (actually I think the photo was of a cabin which was a reproduction/replica of the original, don''t think the original still exists). I don''t know where those things are now, so the coin will be my replacement. It''s funny to think about because in a way the penny is more befitting of him, ubiqutous and humble; he made fun of his looks and rustic ways, probably would think being on a shiny silver dollar was pretentious and high falooting.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:31:34 PM
Hey since Strm and DF are here, great to get a guy''s opinion but anyone can pitch in. Last couple years when our family gets together at the cabin, we had treasure, or scavenger hunts for the kids, boys and girls ranging from 5-12 (our friends'' kids participate too). The last time we did it the prize was a jar of old marbles. What are some other objects/prizes that kids would think cool but won''t break the bank?
McDonald''s gift certificates.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I was another memorizer of the Gettysburg Address. I think I did it for extra credit or something, it was many moons ago
33.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! Are we all old enough around here to remember the bicentennial craze in 1976? Even our nearby playground was completely redone and renamed "Bicentennial park" that year
3.gif
. I think I''m starting to feel old...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 4:34:41 PM
Cool! Are we all old enough around here to remember the bicentennial craze in 1976? Even our nearby playground was completely redone and renamed 'Bicentennial park' that year
3.gif
. I think I'm starting to feel old...
that reminds me of those 40% silver commemorative coins the US mint made for bicentennial yr in 1975. those bicentennial coins ain't worth much these days.
20.gif

PG...it is ok to buy them,just don't expect these modern coins to go up in value in our life time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 1:53:28 PM
So looking, those are the dollars with the lady on it, but they are called eagles, correct? They are lovely coins. The other coin I think it would be cool to get is a mercury dime. I actually remember them floating around at one time but don''t see them anymore.

Well, I went ahead and bought a Lincoln dollar, it''s not going to break me and it goes for a good cause. I just got an uncirculated one because I want to be able to take it out and look at it. But in general think the silver I''ll collect is the kind I can wear as in earrings and braceletes
2.gif
very rare coins,especially from the teens to early 20''s. wish my grandpa had left me a few uncirculated rolls from that era. nickles,dimes,quarters,halves and dollars
2.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I wish my (great) grandpa did too
3.gif
. I think I mentioned on another thread my great grandfather was a coin collector and left my older brother (first grandson on that side) an incredibly rare coin. I can''t remember what it was other than it was a gold American coin. Back in ''90 supposedly he could have gotten 50K for it if he put it in an auction, but he was impatient and had my mom take it to a coin show and someone bought it for 35K right then and there. Now I wonder what coin it was. At the time we looked it up in a book and for value it just had triple asterix next to it. My sister and I inherited a silver coin, I think my mom said it was worth around 200-300 dollars. My sister and I agreed not to sell it for sentimental reasons, but maybe next time I visit I''ll look at it and find out what kind of coin it is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results