shape
carat
color
clarity

What do y’all think about this omc?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Nice cushiony shape and big culet facet. A vid would be helpful.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t say no!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks promising. How do the facets light up when you move it? Do they turn off and on again evenly or are there any that never turn off or on?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to figure what is causing the darkness in the center. What's the depth?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all go dark as soon as it’s face on. Is it nailhead or a reflection of the camera?

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I'm trying to figure what is causing the darkness in the center. What's the depth?

7.38x6.94x4.92 - my understanding of depth is my biggest weakness in judgement.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
They all go dark as soon as it’s face on. Is it nailhead or a reflection of the camera?

I don’t know what you mean by nailhead but it’s a reputable seller so I’m sure they know how to video diamonds - I can’t imagine it’s from a reflection.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Nice cushiony shape and big culet facet. A vid would be helpful.

Also, when you say “cushiony” I read that to mean more square, like a cushion cut. Is that how you see it? It looks rather round to me - almost perfectly so but it’s a true antique, according to the seller.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Also, when you say “cushiony” I read that to mean more square, like a cushion cut. Is that how you see it? It looks rather round to me - almost perfectly so but it’s a true antique, according to the seller.

I mean more oblong or pillowy. That’s generally desirable shape.

Depth is 66% which not overly deep for an OMC. What’s the return policy?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That's a cute little cushiony omc. All omc are 'cushiony' as that's the nature of the cut. This one has a larger culet, which I love.
Fully round would make it an oec.
Nail head or darkness head on isn't a function of how they take the video, it's the nature of the cut itself and the object/person taking the video. There will always be some extinction. I think it's lovely. I would love to see it under partial shade. That's where they dance.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what you mean by nailhead but it’s a reputable seller so I’m sure they know how to video diamonds - I can’t imagine it’s from a reflection.
I’ve not reliably seen nailhead in photos, only diagrams, but it’s apparently where the stone is cut too deep so the centre goes dark because of how the light reflects out. And it’s still reasonably common for even reputable sellers to get odd reflections in videos.
If it’s got a good return policy or you’ve seen it in person and like how it looks in a range of lighting conditions, then you’re in a better position to judge. I like the pictures you’ve posted, it’s just the behaviour in the middle that’s potentially concerning.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
There’s another old mine I was offered that I liked too - it’s 7.4x6.78. Are those better dimensions @lulu_ma ? It’s smaller but I don’t see the light sink in it as much in the videos.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
There’s another old mine I was offered that I liked too - it’s 7.4x6.78. Are those better dimensions @lulu_ma ? It’s smaller but I don’t see the light sink in it as much in the videos.

What’s the depth? We need to see a pic and some vids. There’s no perfect formula for these old cuts. They need to judged individually.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And since I’m all over the place, there’s this gem selling on preloved: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-43-g-si1-avc-earth-grown-in-platinum-setting.278516/

That's an AVC so newly cut in antique style. Does it matter to you if the stone you buy is a true old cut or one that is newly cut? You can't go wrong with an AVC as far as performance goes. Not sure where you are located and if shipping from Australia is an issue, but I would say that buying an AVC is a safe bet.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I've tried but I can't really see the diamond clearly. What is your budget? The AVC is beautiful and certain to have great light performance.

I am not married to a true antique diamond, but I definitely want the character and charm of an old cut.

Just a background - married 27 years, discovered on a whim to a jewelry store with my best friend that my original 1ct princess solitaire has a fissure in it from what the in-house appraiser theorized that was from me wearing it 24/7 for that long. That gave me a great opportunity to upgrade so here I am.

We’re in the middle of a massive restoration of a historic farmhouse and don’t want to go over $8k usd for the entire ring. I’m allergic to gold so the setting must be platinum.

So, with that info, feel free to help me search. I love the cushion-wonkiness of old mines but I’m not opposed to OEC and obviously AVC, as long as they have character. Would prefer a trilogy or over 1.5 solitaire.

(Should I also repost this somewhere for more hits?)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen many irl? What is your color and clarity preference?

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I actually talked to Dolly about the oval one before it sold! She sent me another omc cushion and I didn't pull the trigger fast enough before she sent it to the Las Vegas show. The good budget ones go so fast!

My ideal color is I-K, maybe L, based on how I see them on IG. I can't go too warm (IMO) because I can't choose a warm gold/rose gold. Eye clean is important. I'm in a rural area so am limited on seeing antique cuts in real life but my meemaw's ring belonged to her aunt, so it was from the 1800s/early 1900s. I loved that ring SO much as a kid and now I know why! My sweet cousin has it now and I am so jealous because I don't think she cares at all about that cut.

danielle622

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to hear feedback from people who love old stones as much as I do. My sweet husband is zero help.
IMG_5067.jpeg

It looks nice overall. The culet is a little big for my liking, and the shape is a little off centered and not completely cemetrical, but then again that's the beauty of old cut stones. It somewhat looks like a mix of an old mine and antique cushion cut to me. The color looks nice and it looks clear.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my original 1ct princess solitaire has a fissure in it from what the in-house appraiser theorized that was from me wearing it 24/7 for that long

I’ve never heard of this. Did the appraiser mean you whacked it hard and caused a crack? Or, was there a natural inclusion that got worse through wear?

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I’ve never heard of this. Did the appraiser mean you whacked it hard and caused a crack? Or, was there a natural inclusion that got worse through wear?

He said he thinks I whacked it hard and caused a crack. It was his way of denying the store the ability to sell it preloved. He explained that after I teased that my husband bought me a crap diamond that was poor quality when he was too young to have taste. :) Maybe he was just trying to protect my marriage hahaha

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said he thinks I whacked it hard and caused a crack. It was his way of denying the store the ability to sell it preloved. He explained that after I teased that my husband bought me a crap diamond that was poor quality when he was too young to have taste. :) Maybe he was just trying to protect my marriage hahaha

That is unfortunate, but has been known to happen. For sentimental value, is it stable enough you could put it in a pendant and continue to wear and enjoy it? Or a tiara? :razz: You know, just somewhere it wouldn’t come into contact with anything.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
That is unfortunate, but has been known to happen. For sentimental value, is it stable enough you could put it in a pendant and continue to wear and enjoy it? Or a tiara? :razz: You know, just somewhere it wouldn’t come into contact with anything.

I do often act like a princess, so a tiara would be appropriate. :lol-2: But yes, he said it was fine for me to keep and enjoy and to put it in a pendant. I clearly need to pay more attention to my jewelry as the first thing the salesperson said when I was just hanging out with my friend waiting for her order was "girl, those prongs are in TERRIBLE shape. You need to stop wearing that ring until you get them fixed."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results