shape
carat
color
clarity

What do people wear to the Metropolitan Opera?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
A business colleague of my husband''s invited us to attend the Metropolitan Opera in Feb. Sadly, we cannot go but I think we probably will go at some point since the guy has box seats. I always see people on TV wearing tuxs and evening gowns but do people really dress this way to go there? Is that just what some people wear? What do most people wear? Does anyone know?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People wear floor-length gowns and tuxes usually for special occasions like gala events or opening night. For regular season performances, most women wear nice skirts or dresses with heels. Men wear suits or blazers with dress shirts. You''ll probably spot a few younger women (20''s) on special dates wearing shoulder-baring cocktail dresses.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Allisonfaye,

I do not frequent the opera so I don''t know if I''ll be of any help but I can try. I''ve seen plays in NY, Chicago, LA and San Diego (our very sweet local theatre that I adore!). People seem to have stopped dressing up for these events like they used to. In fact, they are now allowing people to bring snacks into plays on Broadway (I can''t tell you how upsetting I find this to be). Here''s what the Chicago Opera Theatre says on this subject (from their webiste):

You can wear whatever you want to Chicago Opera Theater''s performances. Once there, you will see every type of dressing up or dressing down that people feel like wearing that day, and you''ll fit right in.

That couldn''t be any more vague!

I would not wear a ball gown but I would wear a very nice pantsuit or long skirt and beautiful blouse/top.

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
People tend to dress a little more nicely for the opera than the theater, but that''s not saying much, these days! As long as you''re wearing something that would qualify as nice business casual - dress pants or skirt and a sweater, you''ll be fine. if you want to wear a sparkly top or something, you won''t be out place, especially on the weekend.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve been to the Met a few times...and even of New Year''s Eve there were people in jeans! I don''t care if some people can''t be bothered to dress up... I think it''s a courtesy to the performers and the establishment to do dressed nicely. I usually wear a long black crepe skirt and a nice silk top or a nice black cocktail length dress. On NYE I wore a floor length velvet skirt and matching jacket with a nice top underneath.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
LBD is perfect!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 5:18:44 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
A business colleague of my husband''s invited us to attend the Metropolitan Opera in Feb. Sadly, we cannot go but I think we probably will go at some point since the guy has box seats. I always see people on TV wearing tuxs and evening gowns but do people really dress this way to go there? Is that just what some people wear? What do most people wear? Does anyone know?

Hi Allisonfaye. Your most important consideration is what the business colleague''s wife is wearing! People wear a range of things - I think the most important thing is to not make the colleague''s wife feel uncomfortable. Definitely worth coordinating on!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 5:35:45 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Allisonfaye,

I do not frequent the opera so I don't know if I'll be of any help but I can try. I've seen plays in NY, Chicago, LA and San Diego (our very sweet local theatre that I adore!). People seem to have stopped dressing up for these events like they used to. In fact, they are now allowing people to bring snacks into plays on Broadway (I can't tell you how upsetting I find this to be). Here's what the Chicago Opera Theatre says on this subject (from their webiste):

You can wear whatever you want to Chicago Opera Theater's performances. Once there, you will see every type of dressing up or dressing down that people feel like wearing that day, and you'll fit right in.

That couldn't be any more vague!

I would not wear a ball gown but I would wear a very nice pantsuit or long skirt and beautiful blouse/top.
the opera crowd is still dressier than the theatre crowd by quite a bit these days lol

Still, for major performances, opening nights etc it really is pretty black tie and I'd say floorlength evening gown yes, ballgown no.... you're not dancing, you're sitting.

For other performances it is definitely suit and tie.

ETA: I didn't think about how different houses could have different standards- I'd look up the met and see if they have a dress code. My mom and aunt worked hair and makeup for the san francisco opera house for years, decades.... so that's what I'm used to. The only other opera house I've been to is the one in philly. And the one in Sydney :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results