shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I've had wedding dresses on the mind for the past couple of weeks now, and I love posting ideas here because you guys give me such great feedback. As I posted before, I found an Amy Kuschel that I love with a beaded sash, but I wasn't able to take photos and thus, don't really remember what it looks like on me. The woman suggested I order the dress in September, which means I'll have to order it before I'm able to try it on again...4 months before. I remember everyone loving it, including myself, but it still makes me nervous to order something I've only tried on once.

So, being the ansy chick that I am, I went to try on a couple more gowns again today *just to make sure* the Amy is the one. Aaaand, I found another I like. It's a Reem Acra, and it's within budget (with the discount the lady offered me!). What do you think? It's a little too large (that's why it looks a little off), but for whatever reason, they wouldn't pin it on me. The picture is of the girl helping me holding it in the back.

What do you think? Please, be honest!

ETA: The skirt below is plain, with no beading, a-line, sweep train.

ReemA2.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I'd love to hear thoughts on buying a gown only tried on once. How many times did you try your dress on?

This whole experience makes me much more nervous than it should!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
do you know which reem this is? suberb?
any detail on the train?

i am sure you''ve read my crazy dress search thread! i think the ladies thought i was nutso trying on the dresses as often as i did. i couldn''t decide for the life of me!! i took pictures each time to! i even snuck pics in when they weren''t allowed. i also persuaded one lady to allow me pics so that i could decide. i figured all she could say was no! even after i ordered my gown, i tried it on again when i went with my BMs to look for their dresses. not to mention, my dress wasn''t even in the same town as me- or the same state!

how do you feel in each dress? did you do a pro/con list? reading your post, it sounds like you "love" the amy and "like" the reem.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 10:29:36 PM
Author: jcrow
do you know which reem this is? suberb?

any detail on the train?

i am sure you've read my crazy dress search thread! i think the ladies thought i was nutso trying on the dresses as often as i did. i couldn't decide for the life of me!! i took pictures each time to! i even snuck pics in when they weren't allowed. i also persuaded one lady to allow me pics so that i could decide. i figured all she could say was no! even after i ordered my gown, i tried it on again when i went with my BMs to look for their dresses. not to mention, my dress wasn't even in the same town as me- or the same state!

how do you feel in each dress? did you do a pro/con list? reading your post, it sounds like you 'love' the amy and 'like' the reem.

I'm not sure which Reem this is, to be honest, but it has no beading on the train if that helps. I haven't made a pro/con list yet, but that's a good idea. The problem is, since I'm all alone out here, I have no one to help me decide! Plus, since they wouldn't pin the Reem on me (they acted as though they had no idea that dresses can be pinned on girls) I'm not really sure if it would be flattering or not.

My problem is this: I've only tried the Amy on once, and I loved it...but I have no pictures to show you guys or friends, which are opinions I need. My mom loved it, but my mom loved almost everything on me. Plus, I can't try it on until December *unless* Amy Kuschel in SF sends a sample to San Diego, which I'm going to ask about on Wednesday. I'm hesitant to buy a dress I haven't been photographed in, as they can look quite different in photos.

Oh, and about the Reem...I love Reems. Her gowns were the first I fell in love with. I just wish I knew what the gown above would look like when it fit, you know?

Both gowns aren't cheap, and I guess I'm just nervous. Blah.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i have to say, i was very happy that i photographed myself in the dresses. there were several that i really loved but no matter how many times or ways i photographed myself in them they just weren''t the most flattering. i don''t think i would have known that had i not taken pics. in my head, it was very important to see me as my guests would or how i would see myself in the pictures that i would have post wedding. ya know?

i recently had my first reem dress fitting. i hope i don''t jinx myself, but, when it was in my size and pinned it looked better than i could have imagined. it fit like a glove. perfection. hopefully after all is said and done, it will be the same!!

something to keep in mind.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. well. They are two very different looks. Reems are very richly embroidered and look very lavish to me. And well... the Amy is a much cleaner, modern look. I had a similar problem. I feel in love with a Christos gown that was very beautiful-- all mikado A -line with lace trim-- very elegant and tailored, another christos with organza--much more flowy and feminine, and ALSO with a Jim Hjelm with embroidery with box pleats which was much more lavish than the other two. And they all appealed to me-- to different facets of my personality. The flowy one was not available for me to try on anywhere (trunk show)... but it was my favorite. But I hesitated because I tried it on only the one time... whereas I had pics of me in the other too. I bought another Christos... mikado... but with box pleats and a ball gown with a little bling-- combined the other two into one. And you know what? I was never satisfied with it. In fact I am now happy that I am selling it-- it was never ''me.'' And now I''m looking for a flowy romantic gown that captures the look of that Christos organza.

Point is... they are very different looks. In real life I am tailored and very ann taylor''s tailored peices... but that''s an image I put on. The real me is very flowy-- my ''let down you hair'' looks are all about long flowy skirts paired with very feminine tops. I just was afraid to let that side out. The tailored look of the mikado and the formal look of the box pleat gown is how I thought I should look... and was armor. I was afraid to let the real me out.

SO... I guess what I am saying is-- what aspects of YOU are attracted by each gown. And which one is the ''you'' you want to be for your husband (ignore the guest-- who cares what they think-- this day-- this look is all about YOU and HIM) when you say your vows binding yourself to him? And if it''s the Amy... then do what it takes to get that gown.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, thanks for that point of view. The Amy Kuschel is very me. Classic but fun, with some sparkle. The Reem is me as well, I think, with a little added glamour. This is one of Reem's less beaded gowns, I think, as it's only on the bodice. I'm trying not to be TOO conservative (as I feel my style of dress is in real life) because it's my wedding and, hey, when will you get to wear a big, sparkly ivory dress again?

Aarg.

How do you think the Reem looks on me? Please, be completely honest. The bummer of the gown is that it's built for a girl with a larger bust than I have, and I doubt I'd really know what it looks like until it's altered. So then, what if it looks terrible? I know it's hard to tell from one picture, but I only have two....the other is the bust NOT held but shows the detail.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I'd prefer something on you that would emphasize your waist and make your figure look a little more hourglass. This looks lovely on you... but your slender and well... frankly most drop waist- a line's are gonna look lovely on you. I liked the Amy... and now seeing you-- your figure... I think that sash is gonna be exactly the right touch-- especially if it sits at your waist. But if you like the Reem... it also has an interesting design with the embriodery that looks like a sweetheart neckline and a curvy waist (parts between the embroidery)-- so maybe it's the way she's holding the gown that's the issue. Can you try it on someplace else? Or take clips in with you to clip to the gown in the back to make it fit you properly at the waist and the bust?

As for when are you ever gonna get to wear such a lovely blingy gown... this is true. And I know many brides that have gone with that... I went with that the first time too. But well.... not so much this time. I just want it to be 'right.'

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 1:35:08 AM
Author: Gypsy
Honestly? I'd prefer something on you that would emphasize your waist and make your figure look a little more hourglass. This looks lovely on you... but your slender and well... frankly most drop waist- a line's are gonna look lovely on you. I liked the Amy... and now seeing you-- your figure... I think that sash is gonna be exactly the right touch-- especially if it sits at your waist. But if you like the Reem... it also has an interesting design with the embriodery that looks like a sweetheart neckline and a curvy waist (parts between the embroidery)-- so maybe it's the way she's holding the gown that's the issue. Can you try it on someplace else? Or take clips in with you to clip to the gown in the back to make it fit you properly at the waist and the bust?

Thank you for being honest! Sadly, I don't have much of an hourglass figure. The sash on the Amy would sit under the bust, and it looks great that way. For some reason, I didn't feel I needed waist definition (when I normally felt like I did). I thought that if altered correctly, the Reem wouldn't make me look so boxy, the very complaint about it I had in the back of my mind. If I had a large chest, I think it would look better. Maybe I could get really large cups.
9.gif

On Wednesday, I'm going to call Amy Kuschel in SF and ask them some questions. Do designers ship samples to their retail stores if a client asks? If so, would I be obligated to order it from that boutique? I also think I might sneak into another boutique for more pictures of the Reem.

Oh well, many questions to be answered! But thank you both, Gypsy and JCrow, for your opinions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree... will post answers tommorow... nodding off here, and need to go up. But quickly? Yes, they will although sometimes there is a fee. Worth it for piece of mind though. Wish I had done that with the flowy one first time round.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ebree, sorry I haven''t gotten back to you earlier! I''m sure you noticed how freakin HOT it is here, and I must admit, when it''s this hot, I really just shut down.
20.gif
Anyway, the Amy K is stunning. I''d like that so much better on you and your trim figure. I would gladly trade my bust for your waist!
28.gif
But seriously, I feel from what I''ve learned from you and your style, the Amy would go better in a garden wedding, the Reem is gorg., but a little more elaborate for the garden setting. And I mean, the Amy isn''t as popular and trendy as the Reem (no offense to anyone who got it). I love the Amy for you. My .02

E B

Ideal_Rock
Amber,

There you are! I hear you about the weather...I thought CA wasn't supposed to get this hot!
3.gif
And thank you for your honesty as well. I really wish I had thought to take a camera to the shop with the Amy K., but I wasn't expecting to find anything great on my way to the airport! I guess that's how those things always go, huh?

Have you been able to try on that gorgeous Watters gown yet?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, I haven''t yet gone to try on the Watters gown, I also have to try on that Piccione one! I am so nervous about trying them on, I don''t want to know just how big my dress may be! So I''ve yet to try them on, but I LOVE that Watters gown. And we have an appointment at the Radisson next Friday! Still, I say go for the Amy. It''s absolutely mouth watering!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ebree, is there a way you can post the amy pic in this thread? i somehow missed that elsewhere.

i asked about shipping a certain dress to the store that sells the same brand but didn''t have the one i was interested in. they could do it, but it had to be on a wednesday and returned thursday. i was a few hours away from the salon. couldn''t do it. there wasn''t a fee and i wasn''t obligated to purchase there.

E B

Ideal_Rock
JCrow,

Amy Kuschel displays her gowns in sketch form, so here''s the sketch (or, actually my dress''s TWIN in another fabric, but it''s the exact same design):

AKsketch1.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the sash that''d go under the bust. The color pictured isn''t mine, I''m deciding between platinum (a silver color) and champagne.

AKmaribelsash.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 1:46:07 AM
Author: EBree

Thank you for being honest! Sadly, I don't have much of an hourglass figure. The sash on the Amy would sit under the bust, and it looks great that way. For some reason, I didn't feel I needed waist definition (when I normally felt like I did). I thought that if altered correctly, the Reem wouldn't make me look so boxy, the very complaint about it I had in the back of my mind. If I had a large chest, I think it would look better. Maybe I could get really large cups.
9.gif

On Wednesday, I'm going to call Amy Kuschel in SF and ask them some questions. Do designers ship samples to their retail stores if a client asks? If so, would I be obligated to order it from that boutique? I also think I might sneak into another boutique for more pictures of the Reem.

Oh well, many questions to be answered! But thank you both, Gypsy and JCrow, for your opinions!

The store may offer you an incentive like-- you pay the fee to have the gown brought to them, and they will credit it toward you purchase of the gown. Definitely post pics other pics of the Reem... but especially as you posted pics of the Amy-- and since the sash ties under your bustline... I'm leaning toward that one. But more pics are definitely needed of both.

ETA: Oh that sash is lovely!!! And makes the gown so unique! Definitely leaning toward the Amy.
30.gif
*Ducking head* the Reem is more... common.

ETA: As for sash color-- silver with silver shoes.
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ok, after seeing this amy pic, i think it comes down to fit. you know what looks best on your figure. which style is best for you?

before seeing the amy, i was going to mention that the reason i fell in love with the reem dresses is the fabric. that glorious glowing fabric. however, according to the amy pic, that fabric is just as lovely. so i don''t think that''s a deciding factor.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Sweety,
You have a lovely body, and any dress would look good on you. So you need to go with your heart.
Just so you know. I bought MY dress without EVER trying it on. I knew that it was what I wanted, and they didn''t carry it in the store. I tried on a very similar dress, then ordered mine. I worried about it for about 5 months until MY dress came in. I still am totally in love with my dress, and feel that i made the right decision for me...
so...
none of that really helps you at all, so sorry about that, but wow, I do love that Reem on you.

Tybee

E B

Ideal_Rock
Tybee,

Thank you for saying those sweet things. I know I must be a bit annoying asking about dress after dress, but I need opinions from my PS ladies (not only because I trust your fabulous taste, but because I can be hard on myself).

I can't wait to call Amy K. tomorrow to see what the situation is with the dress. I'm also going to make an appointment with a salon that sells that Reem for more pictures (this time pinned and of the front, back and sides to get a good idea of what it actually looks like!).

1.gif

ETA: I went back to look for your gown, and wow! It looks perfect on you! You absolutely made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results