shape
carat
color
clarity

What did you think of Cruz's speech

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion but particularly Republicans. Will this impact anyone's voting?

You can speak to the whole speech, but this was the particular excerpt I am speaking of

We deserve leaders who stand for principle. Unite us all behind shared values. Cast aside anger for love. That is the standard we should expect, from everybody.

And to those listening, please, don’t stay home in November. Stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a Republican, but I suspect it won't change anyone's mind. Most Republicans I know - and I'm in Oklahoma so that's the majority of people I know - will dutifully vote for Trump in November. And that's in spite of the fact that this state voted for Cruz in the primaries. They'll hold their noses for "the team". And there really are a goodly number here who think Trump is just wonderful. And the ones I know personally who do, are seriously monied individuals.

It gets harder every year, living here.

ETA - about Cruz's speech, my husband's comment, "Well, Cruz crapped in the punchbowl." Indeed. He's making the calculation to set himself up for a 2020 run. He will be helped by distancing himself from Trump. I think he also loathes Trump personally.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well-----

Just to be upfront - I am a Cruz voter and he resoundingly won my state. The speech was excellent and as close to an endorsement of the nominee that he could muster. Is it a setup for 2020? Yes. Is he a hardline conservative? Most definitely and he recognizes the failings of Trump and the disaster it may likely turn out to be should he win. The Trump campaign nearly admitted it set up the booing by the NY delegation because Trump had Ted's speech a couple hours beforehand. I have to give Cruz credit for standing on his principles and the reneging on his commitment to endorse Trump is understandable given the personal attacks on his family during the primary. I also agree that Trump would not have done this morning what Cruz did by answering questions of delegates after last night. I will not write in Ted Cruz and I don't think he is asking for that.

As an aside, I do not know much about Mike Pence but after his speech last night I wish he were running instead of Trump.

ETA - Cruz does feel that Trump is unfit to hold the office of the President. As do many of us.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a republican and I think without a doubt Cruz is a psychopath, I do think he supported his wife and Dad, but Christianity says to forgive and he surely missed that part of the 'word'. I think it was a set up to 2020, the people who would vote for Cruz loved his speech I am sure. I do admire family loyalty and Ted Cruz showed if nothing else, he's loyal to his wife's honor and his father's (albeit the father is as insane as he is) too. It's too bad he wasn't the nominee. We shall see in 2020.

:| :|

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1469111640|4057938 said:
Well-----

Just to be upfront - I am a Cruz voter and he resoundingly won my state. The speech was excellent and as close to an endorsement of the nominee that he could muster. Is it a setup for 2020? Yes. Is he a hardline conservative? Most definitely and he recognizes the failings of Trump and the disaster it may likely turn out to be should he win. The Trump campaign nearly admitted it set up the booing by the NY delegation because Trump had Ted's speech a couple hours beforehand. I have to give Cruz credit for standing on his principles and the reneging on his commitment to endorse Trump is understandable given the personal attacks on his family during the primary. I also agree that Trump would not have done this morning what Cruz did by answering questions of delegates after last night. I will not write in Ted Cruz and I don't think he is asking for that.

As an aside, I do not know much about Mike Pence but after his speech last night I wish he were running instead of Trump.

ETA - Cruz does feel that Trump is unfit to hold the office of the President. As do many of us.

He's the governor of my state. And happens to be probably the WORST governor ever in Indiana state history. He is hated by R's and D's (and L's!) alike. :angryfire: I've driven by a LOT of "Fire Mike Pence" signs these past few years.

The scenario of Pence potentially becoming POTUS if The Donald does indeed win the election and happens to be unable to fulfill the term for any reason terrifies me as much as a conservative having to set foot in a Planned Parenthood or a gay bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pence

Pay special attention to the HIV outbreak in Scott County section. He's just a peach. ;))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1469121440|4058004 said:
terrifies me as much as a conservative having to set foot in a Planned Parenthood or a gay bar.

Well that is stereotyping of you because I have been in both more than once. :lol:

ETA - Spent a new year's eve in SF watching a relatively unknown KD Lang at the Fillmore oh about ~~~~ years ago.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1469122176|4058009 said:
monarch64|1469121440|4058004 said:
terrifies me as much as a conservative having to set foot in a Planned Parenthood or a gay bar.

Well that is stereotyping of you because I have been in both more than once. :lol:

It totally is! :lol: I couldn't think of anything more stereotypical! "Sweating like a whore in church" came to mind, but I don't even know if I'm saying that correctly or even where that came from. Anyway, no one in Scott County, Indiana can set foot in a PP since they got defunded and shut down since all they really do is abortions. ;)) So now we have an actual epidemic. No education, no testing, just DON'T DO DRUGS spoken from above because that'll take care of the problem. :roll:

Sorry, my ire isn't directed at you Redwood. It's directed at total idiots who should not be in office or in charge of policy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He just might be - running for president, that is... at least, he's running to be the defacto president based on the way the Trump camp described the VP's responsibilities to potential candidates: that Trump's VP would be "the most powerful" VP in history and would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would echo much of Redwood's comments, as I have also been in Camp Cruz since before he announced his candidacy.

I would also point out - to those who think he reneged on his pledge - he in fact did not. He pledged to SUPPORT the nominee; not endorse him, and those two words are not, in fact, synonymous. He showed up (when many didn't); he spoke, and laid out the criticality (from a conservative perspective) WHY this election means so much and what is at stake for our country; he encouraged people to vote for the constitution; and, he congratulated Donald. Considering the mud Chump threw at Cruz, his wife, AND his father in the primaries, Chump should sit down, shut up, be thankful, and for the love of God get OFF Twitter if he wants to be taken seriously!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes JCJ I do agree about the endorse and support. And PLEASE get off Twitter. The more I read this morning and watching the speech over again, everyone in that crowd went crazy when they agreed with Cruz. What he said was exactly what should have been said. Screw these pundits that say he did himself damage. We shall see.

Oh I found this poster and its just crazy that was so long ago. I feel so old now :lol: .....

kd_lang.jpg

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Christians are supposed to forgive, but we don't have to forget, and we don't have to allow ourselves to be victimized over and over.

For once, I think Ted Cruz did what he actually thought was right, vs what would get him ahead. I remember reading a quote from someone earlier in the election that Trump sounds crazy, but Ted Cruz actually means it. He would be terrible for the country. So I was surprised that he didn't roll over and endorse Trump like most of the others have.

As far as Pence, he doesn't believe in science. For instance, he doesn't believe that smoking can kill you and he doesn't believe in evolution, and that's pretty much all I need to know to know that he's bad news for the country. And of course, Trump believes that vaccines cause autism, so I guess they are in good company together.

http://www.popsci.com/top-5-worst-mike-pence-quotes-on-science

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of Pence - I'm not anywhere near Indiana but I'm well aware of the man, due to his extreme stances and the millions of dollars he cost the state trying to enforce them (thankfully federal judges upheld the law). When I heard Trump had tapped him my jaw dropped. I don't think he could've found a more anti-woman, anti LGBT candidate.

I rather enjoyed Cruz's speech. Not a Cruz fan though.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
While a registered Republican, I'm more a Libertarian stuck in a two party system. Voted for Rubio, not because I agreed across the board with him, but there was enough agreement; I liked him and thought he could win. As the race narrowed, I would have gladly chosen Cruz or Kasich over Trump.
I saw Cruz on CNN speak at the TX breakfast. They asked some hard questions and seemed disappointed in Cruz. He admitted that withholding his support is personal. One of the delegates said, "Its not about you or your wife or Trump; it's about our country." (Paraphrased). Then many chanted "USA."
I agree with that delegate.
I really don't know why Cruz did what he did, speaking without endorsing. Not sure what he expected to happen. It's my guess that he's hurt himself politically, but who knows? None of the old rules apply this campaign cycle.
Bottom line--the choice is chicken or fish. There's just no beef.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469128176|4058053 said:

My choices are eyeballs or liver and both are not appealing. :lol:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1469128554|4058058 said:

I like liver; the eyeballs must be Hillary.

Speaking of silly stuff, have you ever noticed Cruz's weird laugh? Reminds me of Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cruz embarrassed himself and his family in front of the world. Petty.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469129478|4058065 said:

Speaking of silly stuff, have you ever noticed Cruz's weird laugh? Reminds me of Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.
Reminds me of the zodiac killer

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't see or hear the speech. I will eventually, I am sure. I cannot imagine missing such a landmark. But I wanted to say that I think what Trump did to Heidi Cruz was unforgivable.

AGBF

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1469133874|4058085 said:
Cruz embarrassed himself and his family in front of the world. Petty.
Really? You found it embarrassing? Can you explain?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
katharath|1469127252|4058043 said:
Speaking of Pence - I'm not anywhere near Indiana but I'm well aware of the man, due to his extreme stances and the millions of dollars he cost the state trying to enforce them (thankfully federal judges upheld the law). When I heard Trump had tapped him my jaw dropped. I don't think he could've found a more anti-woman, anti LGBT candidate.
Yes, I agree. I always side eye a bit when they ban abortion based on congenital problems. It's like they think Down Syndrome is the only one. There's some really horrible stuff out there, and most of them are incompatible with life anyway. They're essentially forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy that will never end in a live baby, and will most probably cost her her uterus as well, because of ideology and ignorance. These are almost always very wanted babies and the situation is tragic enough without torturing the mother on top of it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have been more surprised if Cruz supported Trump after the comments Trump made about his wife and father. The entire convention has been an embarrassment. When they scan the attendees it is just an endless sea of white people.

Where was Melania??? Isn't it customary for the wife to attend the convention?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1469134181|4058088 said:
I didn't see or hear the speech. I will eventually, I am sure. I cannot imagine missing such a landmark. But I wanted to say that I think what Trump did to Heidi Cruz was unforgivable.

AGBF

Being from Austin, I cannot agree more, Heidi Cruz did not deserve ANY of the meanness that Trump threw on her. She is a lovely lady, and mom.. she's not my cup of tea politically but she is a mom. I admired Cruz standing for her, good husband if NOTHING else about him appeals to me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1469141364|4058129 said:
AGBF|1469134181|4058088 said:

Being from Austin, I cannot agree more, Heidi Cruz did not deserve ANY of the meanness that Trump threw on her. She is a lovely lady, and mom.. she's not my cup of tea politically but she is a mom. I admired Cruz standing for her, good husband if NOTHING else about him appeals to me.

I am so glad to hear that from you, Tekate. I have been following (and admiring) your postings, and I believe that if you respect her that I would, too. I know very little about her. I just never saw anything about her that I did not like and I saw absolutely no reason for Donald Trump to single her out for such a mean trick, given that she had, while I watched, never done anything at all to deserve it.

AGBF

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1469138004|4058109 said:
katharath|1469127252|4058043 said:
Yes, I agree. I always side eye a bit when they ban abortion based on congenital problems. It's like they think Down Syndrome is the only one. There's some really horrible stuff out there, and most of them are incompatible with life anyway. They're essentially forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy that will never end in a live baby, and will most probably cost her her uterus as well, because of ideology and ignorance. These are almost always very wanted babies and the situation is tragic enough without torturing the mother on top of it.

BKB, the abortion issue is only the tip of the iceberg with Pence. He has essentially been the most consistently hardcore conservative voter across the board. (I linked his Wiki in a previous post on this thread.) What KILLS me (no pun intended) is that he voted to defund PP when we in Indiana have an HIV outbreak/epidemic happening in Scott County. Yet people want to shout "don't have sex, don't do drugs, don't sin" out one side of their mouth while preaching "just ask for forgiveness" out the other side here. There is hypocrisy on the part of either party, but one of them at least has common sense and thinks it's about time we EDUCATED people instead of telling them just NOT to do something.

Also I agree with everything you wrote.

Pence seriously grinds my gears and I am going to need some serious heartburn medication and a bite guard if he sticks around in any capacity. (Can we get a puking emoji???)

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1469133933|4058086 said:
AnnaH|1469129478|4058065 said:

Reminds me of the zodiac killer

Neil, I've heard that joke many times so finally looked it up to see for myself. I don't know but here's a pic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3465422/Ted-Cruz-Zodiac-Killer-Senator-finds-butt-jokes-uncanny-resemblance-California-serial-killer.html

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Well-----

I don't care for Cruz and don't believe in his platform but I have to say I was so happy with his speech. Trump's campaign and Trump knew exactly what he was going to say. Cruz said, and I believe him, he told Trump days before that he was not going to endorse. The delegates were rude and all the boos were staged by Trump's people. It was all reality TV, from his plane flying over during Cruz's earlier speech and Trump's appearance at the end of his speech last night. Cruz said nothing against Trump and if you listened he was saying to vote, from the top to the bottom of the ballet, Republican. He stood by his principles and I have to admire him, no matter how painful that is to admit.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1469159957|4058223 said:
I don't care for Cruz and don't believe in his platform but I have to say I was so happy with his speech. Trump's campaign and Trump knew exactly what he was going to say. Cruz said, and I believe him, he told Trump days before that he was not going to endorse. The delegates were rude and all the boos were staged by Trump's people. It was all reality TV, from his plane flying over during Cruz's earlier speech and Trump's appearance at the end of his speech last night. Cruz said nothing against Trump and if you listened he was saying to vote, from the top to the bottom of the ballet, Republican. He stood by his principles and I have to admire him, no matter how painful that is to admit.

NonieMarie, Thank you for this posting. It was very astute and insightful and really gave me a new perspective on the entire event.

AGBF

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you AGBF.. I too admire your posts very much. Mrs Cruz loves her kids just like we all love our kids, fur babies, nieces, Melania Trump and all the assorted moms of the Trump kids. I think spouses should not be attacked on either side.

Also crazy fathers also.. it's hard I know, while Ted Cruz is odious, he is loyal. I can see why republicans/conservatives wanted him to come into the fold, unification is important in a party. To me it's akin to Bernie supporters not voting for Mrs Clinton, but this is America! I don't think this will affect Cruz in 4 years.. it will be long gone by then.

:wavey: :wavey:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469152109|4058196 said:
Interesting article regarding Pence and Planned Parenthood. I realize that abortion is a sensitive subject. Hopefully things won't get ugly because some of us are prolife.
Federal funding supports some very nice salaries for PP.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/pence-v.-planned-parenthood/article/557324

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4338
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/annual-report

I think 14 or 15 states allow medicaid money to be spent on abortion, I know CT was one of them.. each and every anti abortion person in those states vote out those legislators who are pro abortion and elect in ones that aren't. Abortion is such a volatile topic.. I for one support it, but I let the people of my state speak.. if one is wealthy one can always fly to London and get an abortion (I know this since I have a friend way back in 71 who did that). If PP left the room it would be interesting to see how many teen pregnancies occur.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results