shape
carat
color
clarity

WHAT Did You Spend Your Pre-loved Sale Money On?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you've managed to sell some items through the preloved section (via eBay, Diamond Bistro, or Loupe Troop) what did you spend the money on? Or what is the plan for money, if you do sell some stuff?

I've sold some things (both jewelry and non-jewelry) in the last few weeks and so far I've spent the money on

-an artist made tile
-an artist made bronze bell
-a Marimekko shower curtain
-a stunning hand painted vase
-some fancy variegated African violets
-some fabric to reupholster the couch in my library
-a museum print of a painting by John Singer Sargent

Stunning to see that none of it was spent on jewelry. :-o I am nothing if not eclectic. :bigsmile: Bet you can't guess which of those items was the most expensive . . . :Up_to_something:

What about you? How did you spend your money? Or how are you going to spend the money?

I have no specific plans for my future spending, but I do have ideas . . . :naughty:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More jewellery, of course! :cheeky: :sun: :D

I've been consolidating my jewellery for the last 10 years or so. I used to have a lot, and I mean a lot, of smaller less valuable pieces. As I get older, my jewellery collection has also evolved... now my pieces are more mature, more elegant and more high-end (I'd like to think, at least, he he) - not all but most. But I own a lot less pieces now. I now have what I *really* want...pieces that suit ME and my style.

One of my friends (the one that I swapped necklaces with - as mentioned in my SMTB 2016 bling bling thread) has soooooo many mid-range pieces which she embraces and mixes and matches. Seriously, she could open a store!! She has THAT many pieces. Her jewellery suits her style. She normally wears several bangles together for example, and she totally rocks everything she wears! She NEVER sells anything and I think that's really cool too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing; just needed to get rid of items that I knew I'd never set.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the house.

DK :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1464502441|4037645 said:
More jewellery, of course! :cheeky: :sun: :D

I've been consolidating my jewellery for the last 10 years or so. I used to have a lot, and I mean a lot, of smaller less valuable pieces. As I get older, my jewellery collection has also evolved... now my pieces are more mature, more elegant and more high-end (I'd like to think, at least, he he) - not all but most. But I own a lot less pieces now. I now have what I *really* want...pieces that suit ME and my style.

One of my friends (the one that I swapped necklaces with - as mentioned in my SMTB 2016 bling bling thread) has soooooo many mid-range pieces which she embraces and mixes and matches. Seriously, she could open a store!! She has THAT many pieces. Her jewellery suits her style. She normally wears several bangles together for example, and she totally rocks everything she wears! She NEVER sells anything and I think that's really cool too.

I also sell things when there is a new jewelry item I am working on. I am just like Phoenix on a muuuuuch smaller scale! I focus on getting fewer high end pieces rather than collecting lots of mid-range pieces. I pass some of those old items to my girls as I never wear them. I have mostly sold settings, though, either ones I didn't need after upgrading or new platinum settings that I never bought a stone for.

Phoenix, I like your style, classy and elegant with larger diamonds and high end designer pieces! :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More jewellery..... :naughty:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't sold anything - I'm still at the accumulating stage! :naughty:

Although - when my mother passed, I inherited her jewellery and there was quite a bit of random loose gold (single earrings, various men's wedding bands, that sort of thing) so I traded all that in towards my diamond Tissot watch! Cheap as chips by PS and DF standards, quite luxe by mine! ;-)

ETA: I suspect the handmade tile was the most expensive. Amiright? AMIRIGHT? AMIRIGHT???

t02_1_285_74_1.png

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie|1464602348|4038018 said:

Although - when my mother passed, I inherited her jewellery and there was quite a bit of random loose gold (single earrings, various men's wedding bands, that sort of thing) so I traded all that in towards my diamond Tissot watch! Cheap as chips by PS and DF standards, quite luxe by mine! ;-)

ETA: I suspect the handmade tile was the most expensive. Amiright? AMIRIGHT? AMIRIGHT???

Nope! :praise: But kudos to you, that you know a single handmade tile can be major dollars. Most people don't realize that. Wanna try again? :Up_to_something:

And thanks for posting the pic of your beautiful watch! :dance: :clap: It's really awesome looking, I love the style. :love: I was hoping everyone would share the deets on their new stuff. :bigsmile: I have a Tissot, but it's made of rock/granite, about 25 year (I think?) years old. Yours is much prettier.

April20

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1464626852|4038151 said:

Nope! :praise: But kudos to you, that you know a single handmade tile can be major dollars. Most people don't realize that. Wanna try again? :Up_to_something:

And thanks for posting the pic of your beautiful watch! :dance: :clap: It's really awesome looking, I love the style. :love: I was hoping everyone would share the deets on their new stuff. :bigsmile: I have a Tissot, but it's made of rock/granite, about 25 year (I think?) years old. Yours is much prettier.

My money is on the shower curtain!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most went to pay for my new upgrade, but I'm also saving for a nice watch for my husband (his choice, of course)... :halo: I've also used some of it to pay for daycare and home renovations. :))

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
My subsequent diamond upgrades

iLander

Ideal_Rock
April20 said:
iLander|1464626852|4038151 said:

My money is on the shower curtain!

Nope! :bigsmile: It is easy to spend big dollars on the bathroom/bedroom things: duvets, shams, ruffles, sheets, vanity set, towels, shower curtains, etc. But I got the shower curtain new on ebay, and I'm actually going to use it to make pillows. The curtain was $35, but if I had bought that kind of yardage from Marimekko it would have been well over $120 (their fabric is about $50-$85 per yard).

Try again! :wavey:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, you are too kind! :D

I LOVE your collection too. You have very refined taste; and I look up to you and often heed your advice.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix: You are so sweet to say that, thank you for making me so happy today. What a nice person you are! :)

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I was hoping to spend my sale money on more bling (a 3 stone reset, a VCA bangle) but one of my best friends is having real world problems and I "loaned" her my bling money so she could keep a roof over her family's head for a while longer. I have some loose stones that I'll probably sell in order to fund the installation of a sport court as a gift to my hubby. But that takes time and I want the court done by this summer so I'll probably use my equity line until some of my jewels sell.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently sold my bypass ring to a PSer (deposits made, waiting on balance until we are closer to ship date) to buy a YG sapphire ring.

Here it is, I can't wait! Deposits been paid!

_37460.jpg

_37461.jpg

_37463.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling my OMC snowflake necklace to missy to buy this beautiful handwoven art yardage (handdyed natural dyes of cotton and raw silk).

_37464.jpg

_37465.jpg

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
The violets? :o :o :shifty: :shock: :shock:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
jerichosmom|1464842686|4039247 said:
I was hoping to spend my sale money on more bling (a 3 stone reset, a VCA bangle) but one of my best friends is having real world problems and I "loaned" her my bling money so she could keep a roof over her family's head for a while longer. I have some loose stones that I'll probably sell in order to fund the installation of a sport court as a gift to my hubby. But that takes time and I want the court done by this summer so I'll probably use my equity line until some of my jewels sell.

You are so nice to do this for your friend, jerichosmom. :saint: You're awesome!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1464874940|4039325 said:
I recently sold my bypass ring to a PSer (deposits made, waiting on balance until we are closer to ship date) to buy a YG sapphire ring.

Here it is, I can't wait! Deposits been paid!

So gorgeous! That's a perfect thing to spend money on, worth every penny! :love: :love: :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1464876416|4039330 said:
Selling my OMC snowflake necklace to missy to buy this beautiful handwoven art yardage (handdyed natural dyes of cotton and raw silk).

Vintagelover, you're like me, you see the beauty and joy of something handmade and one of kind in this mass-produced world. That is some stunning fabric, really beautiful. :love: :love:

I have a handwoven table runner that I keep going back to, day after day, year after year. I keep find new tones and colors to love. I also love to change fabrics all over the house, to change the total look of the house. Tablecloths, cloths on the back of the couch, pillow covers. It's like a whole new place, and the mood shifts depending on how fun or formal the fabrics are. I think beautiful fabrics, such as yours, are not utilized nearly enough in the world.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1464877605|4039343 said:
The violets? :o :o :shifty: :shock: :shock:

It's soooo easy to spend big bucks on violets, you're right! :shock: Everyone is after the newest, most unique hybrids. But I got some cheapies, though they do have variegated foliage, which I enjoy a little too much. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I think I should let you guys off the hook: it's the bell. The most expensive thing in the group.

https://www.cosanti.com/bronze-bells/

They're made at Arcosanti (a commune of sorts) and have been made there as their fund-raiser since the 1970's. Each bell is sand cast, out of bronze, and the maker impresses some extra decorative bits, so each piece is unique. Then the patina is different for each one. They are very cool, if you're into that sort of thing, and it has a special place in my garden.

So, there you have it. I'm a collector, of odd things. :)

I'm still be interested in hearing more about the unique collections of others. :wavey: :wavey:

Please post. Bonus points for pics and/or links!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ilander do you use FB?
If so I can share an amazing weaver with you. She also has an etsy shop. I have a stunning HW runner (and few other things, wearable art) and her stuff is affordable and amazing!

The last picture shows my scarf as a runner, the vase which is on it-impossible to photograph (think peacock colors/pattern) was handmade by a glass blowing friend Nathaniel dark. I adore his soft glass!

But once, buy right. Vote with your dollars, stay local, stay fresh, stay connected. Fuel the local around you, bring beauty, love and intensional-ness in every thought/action/word and deed.

I don't eat out but when I do I find local, small, that support local farmers/other business. I buy from artists, try to support other people who support artists in return.

Being one myself I apprecaite it and understand the importance of local commerce. Not to mention the usual superior quakity and individually of the item :) this includes produce/food.

_37482.jpg

_37483.jpg

_37484.jpg

_37485.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also want to add the near stuuffed giraffe was handmade by a village coop in Africa, supporting local women and being sold here.

Omg! You ladies would love this! Totally forgot until just now. My friends engaged to an woman who is/has family affected by the earth quake in Ecuador-and the local coastal village are usually filled with tourists. However since the quake it's all clean up-and no one to sell their inventory/handmade out of Palm seed (carved/dyed/polished) jewlery too. So my gf and her gf decided to visit the "factories" (homes where they are made) and buy some to employ the women, and donate money back to the villages to help with rebuilding/clean up.

I'll find a link with some pictures. Super cool stuff, I'm buying one myself :)

http://www.ecuacare.org/about

There's a few from their seeds of change I adore, I selected a few I like to share in pics.

_37486.jpg

_37487.jpg

_37488.jpg

_37489.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results