shape
carat
color
clarity

What did I get myself into? lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
So FI wants to have a post-wedding party here in TX after all. His parents are throwing us one in Virginia, and I don''t know if my parents are doing anything...but we had no way to celebrate with people here in TX. So we''re having a barbeque now.
AAARRRRGGHHH. Do I lose my lady card if I admit that I have never entertained guests at my house?!

GRANTED
Most of FI''s friends are 30 going on 22 (yes, there will be a keg
20.gif
).
I''m still hoping to make it a somewhat "normal" affair.

So in lieu of sending a mass text message to everyone informing them of the bbq, which I''m sure FI would be fine with, I''ve opted for invitations.

One problem....(and please don''t laugh at the poem...I thought it was cute. lol) is it supposed to be "I dos" or "I do''s"?
Because I believe it is the former but the lady who did my proof insisted it was the latter. I don''t know.......and I''m supposed to be an English minor. SIGH.
Anyway...any insight? Here is my proof....I think it''s cute, they didn''t have any invites with kegs and wings on the cover. lol

bbqinvite.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The invitation is adorable, lucky!

As for your question, the correct form is "dos". However, some publications (Time Magazine used to be one of them) do use "do''s" in order to avoid using "dos" because it looks like the Spanish word for "two". "Do''s" is incorrect, even though it is used.

Apostrophes, of course, are only used to form possessives of nouns, to show the omission of letters, and to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters. That''s it.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
GRRRRRR.
I knew it. See, she had me doubting myself. I asked her to please double check, and actually her email was kind of rude!
Oh well.
7.gif

Thanks for the invitation compliment though!
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what it is, but people can get very touchy about grammar.

We had a very irritating grammar issue with our own wedding invitations. We''re marrying on the Fourth of July which is, of course, a holiday. SO, I knew we had to capitalize the "F" in Fourth because of this, yet the woman we ordered from insisted that this would be improper. (She also insisted that a true, proper formal invite includes response cards with the lines for names and all that, so she was definitely no authority.)

Anyway, I agonized over this because capitalizing Fourth did look funny, but it was proper! I asked every other English teacher in my building, and they all confirmed that the F should be capitalized.

Then we got the proofs.

That''s when we remembered that the font we chose was all in capitals anyway, so it didn''t even matter! Doh!

And when I say I agonized over it, I am not exaggerating. I''m an English teacher--I couldn''t have a typo on my wedding invitation! So silly.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 10:49:09 PM
Author: Haven
The invitation is adorable, lucky!

As for your question, the correct form is ''dos''. However, some publications (Time Magazine used to be one of them) do use ''do''s'' in order to avoid using ''dos'' because it looks like the Spanish word for ''two''. ''Do''s'' is incorrect, even though it is used.

Apostrophes, of course, are only used to form possessives of nouns, to show the omission of letters, and to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters. That''s it.
Haven took the words right out of my mouth, only she said it much better than I would have.
1.gif

An aside...

How about if you''re addressing something to "The Smith''s" or "The Smiths?" Drives me batty when I see it done wrong.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 8:50:38 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
An aside...

How about if you''re addressing something to ''The Smith''s'' or ''The Smiths?'' Drives me batty when I see it done wrong.
I realize this makes me a Grammar Dork Queen, but I always mentally (er, and sometimes vocally) list the various things belonging to the Smiths that might be invited to an event. The Smith''s lampshade, the Smith''s washing machine, the Smith''s naughty romance novel...

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
I think your invites are adorable! I agree with Haven on the grammar issue. I swear, people just like to add an aphostrophe to anything and everything. However, I can see the point of not wanting it to look like you went to Jamaica to say, "I two."
emsmile.gif

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 9:49:25 AM
Author: gwendolyn

An aside...

How about if you''re addressing something to ''The Smith''s'' or ''The Smiths?'' Drives me batty when I see it done wrong.
I realize this makes me a Grammar Dork Queen, but I always mentally (er, and sometimes vocally) list the various things belonging to the Smiths that might be invited to an event. The Smith''s lampshade, the Smith''s washing machine, the Smith''s naughty romance novel...
Once a coworker tried to justify it by saying, "I''m addressing it to their house." I still was pretty sure she was wrong. Their house won''t be attending.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 9:55:08 AM
Author: bensbride
Date: 5/30/2008 9:49:25 AM

Author: gwendolyn

An aside...

Once a coworker tried to justify it by saying, ''I''m addressing it to their house.'' I still was pretty sure she was wrong. Their house won''t be attending.
Hahahha! Nice try, A for effort! But yeah, if the house wasn''t on the invite list, she was mistaken. Could''ve saved herself some grief if she''d just put "The Smith household" or "The Smith family"--then she wouldn''t have had to worry about it!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results