shape
carat
color
clarity

What diamond upgrade/sell do you regret the most?

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
This haunts me constantly, I had a old cut round that I bought from a jewelry store in Grainesville..it was sparkly and white,
I do remember it had a med. sized culet- year 1999. I’m a nurse and I recall older women patients calling my ring a
“Headlight” (1.5 carats or thereabouts).

I was in another jewelry store in Alpharetta a few months later....I was looking at a few things in the store, the owner said to
me, “I will give you $4900.00 for your ring”..... it was still on my finger!!!! I took it like a dumb—-!! In those days
everybody was into fancy cuts. I took the money and went shopping at the famous “Service Merchandise” - I bought what
I thought was a beautiful radiant cut, what can I say- I was young and stupid, knew nothing about diamonds, it was all
about fancy cuts.

What the hell did I sell for someone to buy it off my finger without louping it ? I think about it all the time!!!!! If only I knew then, what I know now.:angryfire:

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1.87 carat marquise. Less than a month after it sold a Pricescoper posted a photo of a setting the diamond would have looked beautiful in. I’m still kicking myself about it and it happened over two years ago.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
A 1.87 carat marquise. Less than a month after it sold a Pricescoper posted a photo of a setting the diamond would have looked beautiful in. I’m still kicking myself about it and it happened over two years ago.
It’s heartbreaking!!! I made a little profit when I sold my old cut- back then
some jewelers didn’t respect old cuts like they do now. Can you imagine-
they bought them to recut into MRB!!!!:confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point in time I have no jewelry regrets. I might have had some in the past but with time they no longer were regrets for me. I wish I could buy everything I love. That is my main bling regret these days.
:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s heartbreaking!!! I made a little profit when I sold my old cut- back then
some jewelers didn’t respect old cuts like they do now. Can you imagine-
they bought them to recut into MRB!!!!:confused:

Oh I hope not. :(

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My jeweller friend’s diamond dealer sends the old cuts to be recut if my friend can’t find a buyer. Over the years he has tried to seduce me into rescuing a couple, but Mr T says no. Last summer whilst we were away, he was trying to get me to save this 1.7 ct OEC with the most beautiful flower pattern I have ever seen. I was very, very tempted & even named her (too much hot sunshine & wine, I expect), but again I got a resounding no from The Wallet.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sold a couple of pieces I have gone on to regret. I had a platinum bypass diamond ring with end to end baguettes along the arms & a trillion cut at each end, which I traded in for a ring I never wore & went on to sell. Plus one of the rings my ex gifted me, an 8mm wide, heavy 18ct yellow gold band with graduated diamonds set in a channel across the top, from an exclusive NZ jeweller. That went towards my house deposit, I bloody loved that ring, it was so heavy, so yellow, so sparkly & as smooth a butter on my finger. I still day dream about it. Urgh!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I have sold a couple of pieces I have gone on to regret. I had a platinum bypass diamond ring with end to end baguettes along the arms & a trillion cut at each end, which I traded in for a ring I never wore & went on to sell. Plus one of the rings my ex gifted me, an 8mm wide, heavy 18ct yellow gold band with graduated diamonds set in a channel across the top, from an exclusive NZ jeweller. That went towards my house deposit, I bloody loved that ring, it was so heavy, so yellow, so sparkly & as smooth a butter on my finger. I still day dream about it. Urgh!
I know how you feel.:cry2:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this question is a easy one for me...I seriously regret dismantling my first engagement ring it was a tiny band of crappy rubies and diamonds..it was bought at Service Merchandise back in 1983, I used it in another ring but still for some reason it bugs me that I did that....

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret selling my 0.858ct G-SI1 ACA set in WF heavy half-bezel ring ... but the PSer who purchased it from me has promised I get first dibs should they part with it in the future. I've sold many many gemstones and jewelry pieces over the last 10 years and that is the only item I truly regret parting with; DH also periodically reminds me he misses seeing it on my finger. Still, it is nice to know it is with someone who appreciates it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I would have had the nerve to buy an OEC instead of my 1.77 RB. Either way, I wouldn't wear it. I have this habit of never wearing anything I'm afraid of damaging. I imagine a 2-ish carat OEC would have died by my clumsiness by now, even if it was seldom worn. The RB is easily replaceable, an OEC is a special case.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband proposed with a .81 F/Si1 RB with tapered baguettes which I traded in for a 1.21 princess cut before we got married! I fully regret trading the RB because years later I realized a) I don’t have a picture of my original engagement ring,b) I ended up with a princess cut that was completely flat (cut and light return) and c) I ended up going back to a RB because I’m just a traditional girl who likes they traditional shape of a RB!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret selling my 0.858ct G-SI1 ACA set in WF heavy half-bezel ring ... but the PSer who purchased it from me has promised I get first dibs should they part with it in the future. I've sold many many gemstones and jewelry pieces over the last 10 years and that is the only item I truly regret parting with; DH also periodically reminds me he misses seeing it on my finger. Still, it is nice to know it is with someone who appreciates it.
Mary
The reason I bought the ring from you b/c I was gonna remove the stone from the setting to do a 3 stone gent's ring, but after I showed my wife the ring she kept it for herself. :o I try to talk my wife into selling the ring back to you but she fell on deaf ears.

Rule #1 :read: ...never show your wife a diamond ring that was not intended for her. :bigsmile:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To this day the only thing I wish I kept was a Tiffany Etoile engagement ring. It was a .47 G VS2 center and had the most beautiful diamond pave. It was comfortable and GORGEOUS. I also loved the heft of the platinum. I would have had to of had it resized at this point but I would have paid Tiffany to do it and it would have been fine.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a gorgeous 1.79 N OEC set in a vintage platinum setting. Because I thought I knew better, I had the stone reset into a new white gold split shank halo ring with a yellow gold basket. Initially, the setter set the diamond crooked, so I had them correct it. I never really liked what the yellow basket did to the stone. I had the basket dipped in white gold. Still didn't like it. I stupidly decided that I wanted to sell the whole kit and caboodle so I sent it to GOG to consign.
When they posted the stone online, it had a huge chip in it. The previous jeweler had chipped it when correcting his mistake. So I ended up taking a bath on the whole process because I sold at a loss just to be done. I still have the original platinum setting set with a peach spinel I bought on eBay.
I still feel like an idiot when I see that ring. I keep remembering the gorgeous diamond that was in there and asking myself Why couldn't you just be happy with the original ring?!? I should have never touched it. Ah, regrets .....

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I had a gorgeous 1.79 N OEC set in a vintage platinum setting. Because I thought I knew better, I had the stone reset into a new white gold split shank halo ring with a yellow gold basket. Initially, the setter set the diamond crooked, so I had them correct it. I never really liked what the yellow basket did to the stone. I had the basket dipped in white gold. Still didn't like it. I stupidly decided that I wanted to sell the whole kit and caboodle so I sent it to GOG to consign.
When they posted the stone online, it had a huge chip in it. The previous jeweler had chipped it when correcting his mistake. So I ended up taking a bath on the whole process because I sold at a loss just to be done. I still have the original platinum setting set with a peach spinel I bought on eBay.
I still feel like an idiot when I see that ring. I keep remembering the gorgeous diamond that was in there and asking myself Why couldn't you just be happy with the original ring?!? I should have never touched it. Ah, regrets .....
Things like this make you nauseous.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To this day the only thing I wish I kept was a Tiffany Etoile engagement ring. It was a .47 G VS2 center and had the most beautiful diamond pave. It was comfortable and GORGEOUS. I also loved the heft of the platinum. I would have had to of had it resized at this point but I would have paid Tiffany to do it and it would have been fine.

The Etoile solitaire with pave is on my dream list & has been for many, many years. They occasionally pop up second hand, but not very often. I think they are so adored that nobody wants to part with them!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This thread is so sad but is also simultaneously informative. Thank you everyone for sharing!
I hope all of you have found at least one more stunning piece since then that has helped in dealing with the past regret. New jewels never hurt anyone :kiss2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a single diamond but I have a regret that will last forever. Selling the beautiful ruby and old cut platinum ring of San Diego Lady's that has passed through a few hands here on PS. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

1_edwardian_ruby.jpg

ruby_12.jpg

Last edited:

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
It's not a single diamond but I have a regret that will last forever. Selling the beautiful ruby and old cut platinum ring of San Diego Lady's that has passed through a few hands here on PS. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

1_edwardian_ruby.jpg

ruby_12.jpg
That ring is what started my addiction to PS. I feel your pain on this.:cry2:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is so sad but is also simultaneously informative. Thank you everyone for sharing!
I hope all of you have found at least one more stunning piece since then that has helped in dealing with the past regret. New jewels never hurt anyone :kiss2:
Yes, @TheGarnetGirl, this thread is informative but also therapeutic for me. It makes me feel better knowing that others have made jewelry mistakes that they regret. I did finally get my hands on the beautiful 1.72 J AVR in my avatar, so I do feel a little better. =)2

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No regrets about selling (yet!)....but definite regrets about missing out on purchases. I still think about “the one that got away” daily. :cry2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I wanted a pink diamond some 20 years ago now. I had a look at an Arygle certified pink, .48 carats . A 3P and VS. However it looked miniscule on my size 7 fingers and at around $50,000 I thought - wayyyy overpriced.
Ha :wall::wall::wall:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 1.71 ct Solasfera Five Stone. 3F736438-6F75-4844-9E94-E43A2920D956.jpeg
This one I should have kept!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8AC4AC64-E1DC-4EF6-8A63-5B65FE89E04F.jpeg 403A5B12-BA19-49E0-A474-9299B943B882.jpeg I traded a 1.84 carat heart for my 3.54 pear. The heart was not a very good stone, but I still miss it and wonder where it is now. Here are the heart I have now (bad picture) and the pear:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I let this go. I must have been out of my tiny little mind.

This was never meant to be it's final setting - just a place holder. But...look at that color! And the facets! And - see the lime green side tint??? I can't recall its exact specs, but roughly 5.2ct, and definitely S-T color.

What on earth was I thinking?

IMG_2256 copy.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2272 2.JPG

AV_

Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read that’s what they did to the old cuts. The colorless ones were cut into MRB which is a horror..I’m not sure if it’s true....but I hope not.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold a ceylon sapphire and diamond three stone ring for WAY less than it was worth:( The side stones were amazing. But I was liquidating to buy my OEC:(

IF it was a PS'er who bought it, please let me know. I hope it went to a good home!!! I don't remember who I sold it to:(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that’s what they did to the old cuts. The colorless ones were cut into MRB which is a horror..I’m not sure if it’s true....but I hope not.

ginger-rogers-crying-tears-gif.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results