shape
carat
color
clarity

What can you do when you fall out of love with Modern Round Brilliants and now only want Old European or Transitional Cuts?

Q

Queenie60

My favorites are OEC’s however I have a mixture of both. For instance, diamond studs are MRB’s, tennis bracelet is mrb’s and pendant is MRB. Each have their own purpose.

Q

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I had an MRB when we first got married, wore it for years. But about 6 years ago I saw my first OEC...and it is still my favorite cut. Hard to say how you will feel in time. But I'm a definite time -tested convert, no going back for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should have said in my last post that I also have both ideal cut modern rounds and antique style and antique diamonds! I like ideal cut rounds for studs because they usually have the best light return (although stones like AV would, but matched pairs are rare). I have a tennis bracelet and dbty pieces, etc. with modern rounds. Small stones do well in ex cut modern rb because of the sparkle factor.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own and enjoy both. I guess your choices are to sell or consign, or buy only old cuts/newly cut antiques moving forward. Maybe if you give it some time you will come to appreciate your MRBs again.

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
I had an MRB when we first got married, wore it for years. But about 6 years ago I saw my first OEC...and it is still my favorite cut. Hard to say how you will feel in time. But I'm a definite time -tested convert, no going back for me.

I have been lucky enough to buy 2 diamonds (site unseen) that were described as Old European Cut - one, which is about 70 points is the real deal and is absolutely gob-smackingly beautiful to look at and the other, which is 1 carat, is some type of transitional diamond cut - which, although not as intriguing as the 70 pointer, really has something extremely special about it - doesn't have the tall crown, nor the small table, but is definitely not a Modern Round Brilliant - seems to have wider facets as you look into it.

I've got my feelers out with a dealer at the moment about a mutually acceptable swap, which would be a really good way to go instead of selling/trying to sell or consignment. Time will tell. :mrgreen2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Hetoldmenottodoit I think I know what type of round brilliant the 1 carat is, but not the .7 and I am too curious! Any chance you could post a shot of it or two?

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
Here are photos of both diamonds - the 70 pointer has the high crown and the 1 carat has virtually no crown. Sorry the photos weren't better. 2019-10-18 03.55.00.jpg 2019-10-18 21.39.37.jpg 2019-10-18 21.40.06.jpg 2019-10-18 21.40.28.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one (1ct) looks like an early MRB.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
A number of places cut brand new perfectly cut Antique/old cut diamonds, Good Old Gold, August Vintage with Jon, Victor Canera, Brilliantly Engaged, Diamonds By Lauren sometimes has them and you can purchase them from Yoram F (the cutter) himself.
Hi @arkieb1, I didn’t know that BE does old cuts - is it just a matter of wading through their rounds and cushions from their search, or is there a better way to find them? Apologies to all for the thread jack!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @arkieb1, I didn’t know that BE does old cuts - is it just a matter of wading through their rounds and cushions from their search, or is there a better way to find them? Apologies to all for the thread jack!

They used to have a few new perfectly cut Antique cushions for sale but I can see going to their website you can no longer search for them, email them and ask if they have any Antique cushions or Old European cuts for sale, they will give you a list if they do have any left.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started with MRB ering and then fell in love with an OEC. So I traded it in. My studs are MRBs, as is my tennis bracelet. My pendant is a .59 AVR. I get the most compliments on my ering and AVR. I wouldn’t mind a super ideal MRB in the future. But I will probably keep my OEC regardless. I too think there is room for both in a collection.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
They used to have a few new perfectly cut Antique cushions for sale but I can see going to their website you can no longer search for them, email them and ask if they have any Antique cushions or Old European cuts for sale, they will give you a list if they do have any left.
@arkieb thank you!

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
OK, sometimes I think things are just meant to be. I came to a mutually acceptable arrangement with a dealer and swapped two of my Modern Round Brilliant diamond rings plus a "smallish" cash component for an absolutely beautiful ring. This ring was described as being "round old brilliant cut diamond, approximately 1.50 ct in weight (7.15 x 4.66mm), SI in clarity and G in colour with 6 tiny diamonds, totalling 0.14ct on the sides. I now feel very satisfied with what I have and feel really lucky as well because I didn't want to pay so I think it has worked out for the best. Here's some photos. What do you think of the ring?

Attachments

• Heather Ring 1.JPG
    Heather Ring 1.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Heather Ring 2.JPG
    Heather Ring 2.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Heather Ring 3.JPG
    Heather Ring 3.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Heather Ring 4.JPG
    Heather Ring 4.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 40

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good to me - do you have hand shots?

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I appear to have duplicated the photos - I obviously need practice to post photos. I am really happy with the ring but I need a jeweller to look it over because I think one of the baby diamonds is only just sitting in place and I would like a professional eye to go over it to make sure everything is ok.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get it checked out by an independent appraiser as soon as possible.

From your photos I can't tell what's dirt, chips, nicks, inclusions, reflections of dirt/chips/nicks/inclusions... red looks like chips to me. Blue arrows look like nontrivial feathers, but some could again be dirt or reflections of other inclusions.

1571984268956.png

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I am gob-smacked with what you can "see" from the photo.:) You have obviously studied a lot to get to this stage of observation.

The bottom line is that I have it, it is now mine. As I said, I shall have a jeweller take a look to see that the ring is secure for me to wear.

I really have to say that I absolutely love it and have been aware that older diamonds can often have a "chip" or two on the girdle. I know a bit about of the history of this ring and from that known history, this ring and diamond are approximately 100 years old. From the earlier thumb-nail photos, you may notice that I have called it Heather Ring. This was the name of the previous owner.

If I have made a poor choice, I can assure you that I have made a very "happy" poor choice.

If all else fails, I will have the setting changed to a bezel, pay the insurance premium and enjoy the look of it immensely.

:dance:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you love the stone.
Unsure why you asked what we thought of the ring if you didn’t want to hear what we thought of it, but the important thing is that you are happy and it sounds like you are very happy.

Hetoldmenottodoit

Rough_Rock
I was very happy to hear what anyone said about my latest acquisition - but the bottom line was that it was now mine so there is no going back.

The thing is, that in Australia we do not have the same ability to view and return and consider what we buy. There just isn't the population or the stock of old diamonds/rings to make this possible,

Having said that, I do really appreciate your views on the photos I provided - it definitely gives me insight in so far as whether I decide to change the setting. BUT, there is still so much to say in defense of loving something that is "imperfect" - my other half - he who "toldmenottodit" isn't perfect and nor am I, so I think we are happy to bump along together and I feel that I have the perfect diamond for me. Once again, I am interested in your views. Thank you for them. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results