shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My best friend (the one I bought the purse for) has a little girl who is 4 years old.

I have been bouncing around Christmas gift ideas for this little one in my mind...and I think I like the idea of getting her a bike.

Now, my friend has never mentioned her daughter riding a bike, or owning one for that matter...however, my BFF loves garage sales so it's pretty safe to assume if her daughter does have a bike, it's probably a garage sale buy...and I firmly believe every little girl needs a completely fab bike (just like every woman needs a fab handbag...).

Her daughter, being 4 years old, loves two things in life---Disney Princesses and High School Musical. And I was all game for buying a bike themed off either one or the other...but they both got crummy reviews thru Toys R Us...so I thought of maybe a nice, cute Schwinn bike that was girly with the streamers and colors--but not adhering to a popular movie, or cast of characters.

What are you thoughts? Are 4 year olds into learning to ride a bike? Should I just get her a themed one because thats what she loves most, or be practical about longevitiy of the bike?

I want to do this--and wrap it up with a big big pink bow...every little girl deserves that, right? And besides, this Christmas will be lean and mean for her Mom financially speaking
emsad.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia - Why don''t you ask mom if it might be a good idea? Totally digging the princess themed bike idea and I loved my bike at that age

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2008 2:47:26 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Italia - Why don''t you ask mom if it might be a good idea? Totally digging the princess themed bike idea and I loved my bike at that age
Ditto, check with her Mom first Italia.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before deciding on a bike, can you determine if the mom (or dad - you didn''t mention if the mom is a married/single) will have the time to help her daughter learn to ride the bike? It does take dedication, and I do think *most* four year olds are into learning to ride bikes, but the parents need to be there to supervise. All my friends'' kids ride bikes, but mine REFUSE. They simply will not get on their bikes.

Oh, and if you get her a bike, it is fine to purchase a themed design because she will outgrow the bike before she outgrows the theme. Be sure to get her the right sized wheel rim for her height.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 2:52:18 PM
Author: MC
All my friends'' kids ride bikes, but mine REFUSE. They simply will not get on their bikes.

Haha I refused too! Until my dad bribed me with a gerbil!

Italia I ditto the asking her mom thing. But I think a super girly one is a great idea! Very thoughtful of you. I would skip the themed ones for quality reasons.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Italia, is this the mom that is going through a divorce right now?

I'm not sure how your friendship dynamic is, but I might stick with necessities right now. Cute clothes, learning games at home before she starts school. The only reason I say this, is because if she doesn't have alot to budget for Christmas gifts, giving a bike would be kind of extravagant. Maybe? I don't know. Also, with being a single mother, will your friend have the time and energy help her and play with her on the bike? Just an outsiders opinion. I'm a huge gift giving person, and sometimes I have to step back and think about what I'm really giving. I know it defeats the purpose of a surprise, but If it were me, I would check with your friend.

If this is a different friend, please disregard my entire post!! And my vote would be for a cute pink one!!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
If you go with the bike, I''d choose one with good reviews. I remember getting a new bike around age 8 or so and I didn''t care that it wasn''t Barbie or whatever because it was still really cute with bright colors and tassels.

I had a bike around age 4 or 5 but it did have training wheels so make sure any bike you purchase has them. I would probably talk to mom first though... maybe you could make the bike from "santa" instead of telling the girl its from you. Might make mom feels better if she can''t afford anything extravagant herself.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just so you know...Schwinn bikes aren't what they used to be, they were bought out. They really are not any better than any other bike you buy at a toy store...which is to say pretty crappy.

Trek and Specialized are two companies that make really great kids bikes if you are willing to spend a tad more.

I spent my college years working at a bike shop...so I've seen some of the nightmares parents have with crappy bikes. They don't last and often their parts can't really be replaced if broken.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies, and thank you all for weighing in...

Yes, my friend is going thru a seperation/divorce. However, she lives with her soon-to-be-ex''s parents (awkward, I know...but they have a great relationship and his parents are 100% behind her -- at least for the time being) and I do believe that this little girls'' Mom, Grandma, and Grandpa would be more than willing to get out there and help her learn to ride.

Now, with that said, I did casually bring up the bike--mentioning that I *might* get one for another child who is four...and asked my friend to weigh in. She said that her daughter only has a big wheel but hates peddling the thing ... this, I can understand because her daughter is t-a-l-l and I wouldn''t want to peddle anything if my knees were up to my neck either.

So, I may forget the bike for the time being--but revisit the subject when her birthday rolls around in March.

However...educational games did peak my interest...any really cool ones that are super nice? Leapfrog maybe? Don''t they have one like a DS???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the games; it is a good thing you asked. Something similar happened to me too. I loved riding my bike so I can see if you loved it at that age you wanted to get it for her, very very sweet of you.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:55:19 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor

However...educational games did peak my interest...any really cool ones that are super nice? Leapfrog maybe? Don't they have one like a DS???
I think a bike for her Bday, and right in the middle of Spring is a great idea!

This thread doesn't seem to be frequented very often. You might want to post this (Re: above) in the Family thread. Being that it's almost Christmas I would bet a few of the mom's have some good ideas, and know what has worked.

I have a niece that turns 4 at the end of Jan, and would love to know what other mom's liked, and didn't like.

jbazz

Rough_Rock
I own a pair of Electra bikes. I used the guise of wanting to have an extra for friends to ride in order to get two of them. They are great bikes and so cute.

Schwin isnt the Schwin of our childhood. They went bankrupt and sold their name.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
How old is she? My godchild is 5, and my kindergarten teacher BFF practically shouted "REFRIGERATOR PHONICS!" (by Leapfrog) when I asked her for gift ideas. She said anything that helps the child associate the sounds that letters make with the letter is a GREAT idea. Same goes for anything that is a counting toy.

I also get my goddaughter books for holidays and birthdays. A nice hardcover book runs about $20, and I know that''s really a luxury item (but an important one) in a household that is stretched for resources. There was a great thread recently with childrens'' books - I can''t say enough about the Olivia series.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:55:19 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Hi Ladies, and thank you all for weighing in...

Yes, my friend is going thru a seperation/divorce. However, she lives with her soon-to-be-ex''s parents (awkward, I know...but they have a great relationship and his parents are 100% behind her -- at least for the time being) and I do believe that this little girls'' Mom, Grandma, and Grandpa would be more than willing to get out there and help her learn to ride.

Now, with that said, I did casually bring up the bike--mentioning that I *might* get one for another child who is four...and asked my friend to weigh in. She said that her daughter only has a big wheel but hates peddling the thing ... this, I can understand because her daughter is t-a-l-l and I wouldn''t want to peddle anything if my knees were up to my neck either.

So, I may forget the bike for the time being--but revisit the subject when her birthday rolls around in March.

However...educational games did peak my interest...any really cool ones that are super nice? Leapfrog maybe? Don''t they have one like a DS???
How thoughtful of you to get such a fun gift for your friend''s daughter. With mom and dad in the midst of a divorce I can think of nothing better than a bike for her! Or fun games!

When DD was 4 we got her a Barbie bike with training wheels. She is almost 6 and still loves it. Maybe because it is Barbie. The sun rises and sets in Barbie in her eyes!
9.gif

As for educational games I highly suggest the Leapster. http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Leapster-Learning-Game-System/dp/B000BTNQVA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1227144556&sr=8-2 Or maybe even the Leap Pad. http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Leap-Pad-Learning-System/dp/B000K3I284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1227144629&sr=1-1
Here''s a link to the Leapfrog site http://www.leapfrog.com/en/shop.html

Happy shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results