shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your Favorite Regional Foods??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:52:49 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Date: 3/29/2009 8:00:05 PM

Author: klewis

Almost 3 years was the longest stretch - I hope you get to go.

Wow! I thought for sure you would say one month at most. We will make it there, but probably only for 10 days max. Were you working there? If yes, just curious what type of work would take you to Kerala!

SO and I had worked really hard for 15 years and we took a 1 month holiday in Kerala and on returning home we decided it was time for an adventure. We applied for business visas for India and moved about a year later. We lived off a small income from a business there and had the most incredible, amazing and often bizarre experiences - some of which I stopped recounting to people at home because the stories seemed too hard to believe. The other visits have been holidays and recently we took a group.
Sorry for topic deviating - I feel like the person whispering at the movies.

You''ll love the food I''m sure

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/29/2009 7:16:09 PM
Author: AGBF

Last is cheese focaccia. Cheese focaccia is the only one of these three specialties that is not Genoese! Cheese focaccia is from Recco! Recco is in Liguria, too, but further down the coast. It is the home of cheese focaccia, a true delicacy!

Cheese focaccia is everything that focaccia is with some melted cheese as well. I remember it as a kind of baklava that is not sweet, but flakes and melts in your mouth...thin crust and melted cheese togther!

In this article the author waxes poetic about the nature of the cheese focaccia of Recco. As do others, he alludes to its being a street food. Some articles refer to its historic origins.

Le franc buveur
"Il mare, il buon bere, il mangiare bene e...chi più ne ha più ne metta."

12 gennaio 2009
Lode alla focaccia di Recco

"La prima volta che ho sentito parlare della focaccia di Recco è stata quando un mio collega che abitava in Liguria faceva le lodi di questo splendido cibo di strada. Poi l’ho assaggiata in varie occasioni nelle mie varie sortite in Liguria e l’ultima volta l’ho mangiata finalmente a Recco.
Tornando dalla mia vacanza in Piemonte, infatti, ci siamo fermati a Recco, passando dalle nebbie del Piemonte al sole, alla luce e al mare della Liguria.

A Recco (tra l’altro fortissimo club di pallanuoto, ma questo importerà a pochi) non potevamo non gustare la mitica focaccia al formaggio. Nel tempo ho assaggiato svariate versioni di focaccia al formaggio, visto che in Liguria si trova ovunque. Tutte buonissime devo dire…ma a Recco… è tutta un’altra cosa…

La particolarità e la specificità della focaccia di Recco è secondo me la sofficità, friabilità e leggerezza della pasta che la rende unica, insieme ad un gustoso ripieno di formaggio stracchino e cagliata ligure.

Questa focaccia, per chi capita a Recco, può essere mangiata innanzitutto allo storico locale 'Manuelina', i cui primi clienti illustri furono dei comandanti di navi, abitanti nelle vicinanze che, apprezzandone la cucina, ne diffusero il nome.

Ma la focaccia di Recco si può degustare anche dove l’ho mangiata io, al ristorante 'Ai due ladroni' dove in un batter d’occhio abbiamo 'spazzato via' delle spettacolari focacce…"

Pubblicato da lefrancbuveur a 20.16

AGBF
34.gif

focaccia_di_recco.JPG

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicago deep dish pizza and Cincinnati chili
Yummmmmmmmm.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 10:03:54 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 3/29/2009 9:53:53 PM

Author: princesss

Date: 3/29/2009 7:28:46 PM

Author: thing2of2

I love Devil Dogs so much! We don''t have them in the south so whenever my mom''s family visits from Boston they bring us lots of Devil Dogs. And the last time I went to Boston for my cousin''s wedding, my uncle dropped off a bunch of Devil Dogs for us at our hotel. I also love a good lobster roll when I''m in Boston.

I was born and raised in VA and what I love the most are the fried oysters! There are a couple of oyster festivals and I love to go and eat as many as I can. There are a select few restaurants that serve amazing oysters, too. I also love steamed and raw oysters, but nothing is tastier than a fried oyster! I do enjoy the occasional pork barbeque sandwich (VA style, NOT NC style!), but I''m not a huge barbeque fan typically because most of it is too greasy for me.

YES YES AND YES!!!

Hahaha I''m glad you''re on my side! Okay, so guess what I had my fiance pick us up for dinner because of this thread? Pork barbeque sandwiches and a side of coleslaw for me! Mmmm...so not healthy but hey-my lunch was healthy so it balances out!

Of course I''m on your side. It''s the right side. I''ve been craving barbeque from a place in Fredericksburg lately. BF is going up next weekend, and I''m dying thinking that he gets my good barbeque and I have to survive here in NC. Boo.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
In-n-Out Double Doubles.

And as anyone who has ever been to CA can verify... CHECK-MATE.
18.gif
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/29/2009 11:07:06 PM
Author: princesss

Of course I''m on your side. It''s the right side. I''ve been craving barbeque from a place in Fredericksburg lately. BF is going up next weekend, and I''m dying thinking that he gets my good barbeque and I have to survive here in NC. Boo.

The Deborah Knott books by Margaret Maron have had me interested in North Carolina style barbecue for some time (although I don''t eat pork because I don''t want to kill pigs!). Her descriptions of the food (including the cole slaw) at all the get togethers for family occasions and political occasions is an integral part of those books!

AGBF
34.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I love crab! And I hear from people out of state that SF Sourdough is somehow way better than 'sourdough' in other states? I've never had it elsewhere so not sure, but I do eat a lot of it!

CHURROS!!!! and Mexican Hot Chocolate....OMG. Greg says BURRITOS are what he thinks of when he thinks of here. Hahhaa. Taqueria on every other corner.. YUM.

But when I think about what I love about food the most here, it's that we have every type of 'ethnic' food you can almost think of. The only place I can think of that rivals such culinary diversity is NYC. We nosh regularly on Thai, Vietnamese (Pho!), Malaysian, Mexican, El Salvadorian (PUPUSAS!), Korean BBQ, Persian (Kebabs!), etc etc. Whenever I think about moving away, I almost cry at the thought of the loss of food options, unless we move to NY hehe.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 6:53:07 PM
Author: lucyandroger
Date: 3/29/2009 5:40:40 PM

Author: TheBigT

Bagels.

There are things all across the US that are called bagels, but they just...aren''t.

YES!!! I miss my bagels
7.gif
I''m a native NYer and I miss bagels, pizza, good chinese food...

DC is great for a lot of things but not for NY food!

Haha... I was going to ask if you were from NY, TheBigT. I was on a trip there last spring and ran to some little bakery for a quick breakfast... ordered a bagel... and OH.MY.GOSH. So yummy, and almost as big as my head.

I have not eaten, let alone seen (in any shop, grocery store, anything) a bagel quite like the one I had that day.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Authentic French food in France.

Authentic crispy pizza''s in Italy.

Thai food in Thailand.

Vietnamese food in VN.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 3:21:56 PM
Author: Linda W
Bee, what is an Irish Fry??????

It''s Rashers, Sausages, Egg, Hash Brown and Pudding(which I don''t like). They''re amazing! You can also have tomato or baked beans with it. Plus it also needs toast and tea. Very fattening but nice to have occasionally!

fibreakfast.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 6:28:21 AM
Author: bee*

It's Rashers, Sausages, Egg, Hash Brown and Pudding(which I don't like). They're amazing! You can also have tomato or baked beans with it. Plus it also needs toast and tea. Very fattening but nice to have occasionally!
Take the tomatoes off the plate
emotion-41.gif
and the pudding
emotion-41.gif
and add some baked beans, then that would be a feast fit for a king with tea and toast!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's Rashers, Sausages, Egg, Hash Brown and Pudding(which I don't like). They're amazing! You can also have tomato or baked beans with it. Plus it also needs toast and tea. Very fattening but nice to have occasionally!
bee, that fried egg looks PHENOMENAL. So hard to get eggs done right here, other than poached or omelette, actually.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:23:37 PM
Author: elle_chris

Date: 3/29/2009 8:33:58 PM
Author: atroop711

Date: 3/29/2009 5:08:48 PM
Author: elle_chris
pementos de Padrón (Peppers from Padron Spain,) i can''t find them anywhere here and you can only get them in the summer, fall months in spain. They''re addicting. One of the best things I''ve ever ate.

brooklyn pizza.
Brooklyn pizza? You have to come on over to Manhattan on E. 14st...best pizza around at PETE''S A PLACE the
square pizzas are too die for..and reg. pizza too!
I live in Manhattan
2.gif

Not sure if I ever tried Pete''s Place but the closest I''ve ever had to Brooklyn pizza in the city, was Joe''s on Carmine st. in the west vill.

And yes, I stand by that brooklyn has the best pizza!! lol...
Elle you have to come on over the east village and try pete''s..so good. Oh damn now I want some LOL

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 5:56:48 PM
Author: basil
Seafood. I grew up in New England, and now I live in the midwest, so as far as I''m concerned there is NO good seafood here. Littlenecks and oysters on the half shell. And steamers with butter. Lobsters, haddock, and real fried clams with bellies.

I miss the Portuguese food even though I''m not Portuguese. Linguica and chourico and Portuguese sweet bread.

Also, I''m partial to Fluffernutters and a good coffee milk..
2.gif

LOL coffee milk...the sign of a true Rhodie....

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bee: it looks delicious. Ok, I don''t think I will ask what the pudding is LOL, after Miss Lorelei''s comment.
9.gif

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
I second whomever said In-N-Out burger. Yum!!
18.gif

Damn, now I want some though.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:43:50 PM
Author: B.H.S
I second whomever said In-N-Out burger. Yum!!
18.gif

Damn, now I want some though.
Me three, those FRESH French Fries
3.gif
YUM, hand over the fries please!!! I bet they build some muscles chopping the potatos.

MUSEY, awww, Hawaiian food, I love their pulled pork and the poi rolls, yummy!

THING, I love the Smithfield Country Ham on biscuits. I was craving it so badly I finally ordered it online.

When I am in Savannah, I need my fix of Lady and Sons, fried chicken, mac n cheese, cheese biscuits.

HAVEN, Chicago does have fabulous deep dish pizza, the butter crust.
3.gif
mmmmmm mmmmm good.

ELLEN, I never tried St. Louis barbecue!! boo, someday!

DEB, I noticed that food from Italy is so fresh and not weighed down with heavy things nor does it have tons of salt; Yummmmmm

Now I am getting hungry!
41.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I want to play!! I live in KY but have family from here and southern Alabama.

I want to join those that said grits. I big puffy heart grits. I eat them with an over easy egg all mixed together sometimes. Yummm.

I also love Derby pie, as well as veggie versions of KY''s "hot brown".

I love any kind of greens. Biscuits. Fried okra.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:56:36 PM
Author: Miscka

I want to join those that said grits. I big puffy heart grits. I eat them with an over easy egg all mixed together sometimes. Yummm.

I also love Derby pie, as well as veggie versions of KY's 'hot brown'.

What is derby pie??
41.gif
eta: I just looked it up, yum, now I want some, chocolate and walnuts, mmmmm
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 6:36:24 AM
Author: Lorelei

emotion-41.gif
and the pudding
emotion-41.gif
and add some baked beans, then that would be a feast fit for a king with tea and toast!

No pudding, keep the tomato (fresh not cooked), for sure add a good helping of baked beans and maybe a side of mushrooms with the tea and toast and that is one of my favourite breakfasts :D

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure QLD has any regional foods known to except maybe pies and sausage rolls which go downa treat after a day at the pool there is something magical about tomato sauce, meat pie and chlorine.

Australia is really multicultural so you can get most anything here within reason.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:58:24 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 3/30/2009 12:56:36 PM

Author: Miscka

I also love Derby pie, as well as veggie versions of KY''s ''hot brown''.

What is derby pie??
41.gif
eta: I just looked it up, yum, now I want some, chocolate and walnuts, mmmmm
3.gif

It is SO good. Funny thing is, someone has is copyrighted. A place here that does a lot of regional food makes a version called "special day in May pie" haha!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

It''s Rashers, Sausages, Egg, Hash Brown and Pudding(which I don''t like). They''re amazing! You can also have tomato or baked beans with it. Plus it also needs toast and tea. Very fattening but nice to have occasionally!

emotion-41.gif
and the pudding
emotion-41.gif

mmm I agree. Not a fan of cooked tomatoes and pudding. Although sometimes white pudding can be good. It''s making me hungry now just thinking of it!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 6:41:37 AM
Author: JulieN

bee, that fried egg looks PHENOMENAL. So hard to get eggs done right here, other than poached or omelette, actually.
Date: 3/30/2009 6:41:37 AM
Author: JulieN

mmmmm I love fried eggs. Poached are nice too but there''s nothing like a fried egg.
18.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:01:35 PM
Author: Deelight

emotion-41.gif
and the pudding
emotion-41.gif

No pudding, keep the tomato (fresh not cooked), for sure add a good helping of baked beans and maybe a side of mushrooms with the tea and toast and that is one of my favourite breakfasts :D

Oh yeah, I like it with mushrooms too. I''m so lucky that I don''t have any sausages or anything in the house now as they''d definitely be in the frying pan as I type.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:38:45 PM
Bee: it looks delicious. Ok, I don''t think I will ask what the pudding is LOL, after Miss Lorelei''s comment.
9.gif

lol
9.gif
There are two types-white which is mainly pork, oatmeal and spices and black which has blood in it
14.gif
. The white can be nice sometimes but I wouldn''t touch black.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I''ll speak for the PNW!
1.gif

Walla Walla sweet onions are the best, people eat them like apples! Not me, that''s weird, but they''re still the best onions you''ll ever eat!

Umm, of course Starbucks. SBC''s got nothin'' on it.

Dungeness crabs! Mmmm. Salmon too... Anything from Pike Place.
18.gif

Everyone knows Napa for wine, but Washington has some damn good wines too! I''m hoping to do our e-pics at Chateau Ste-Michelle.

Rainier cherries. Can''t wait for summer!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 8:35:59 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Seafood. I grew up in New England, and now I live in the midwest, so as far as I''m concerned there is NO good seafood here. Littlenecks and oysters on the half shell. And steamers with butter. Lobsters, haddock, and real fried clams with bellies.

I miss the Portuguese food even though I''m not Portuguese. Linguica and chourico and Portuguese sweet bread.

2.gif

I thought of that too.
9.gif
My dad''s cousins (big Portuguese family) are from the New Bedford area, and when we were younger, we''d visit and we''d ALWAYS fill up on coffee milk. The syrup''s in the stores up here, and every once in a while I buy a bottle, just for nostalgia''s sake.
18.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 6:07:24 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

2.gif

I thought of that too.
9.gif
My dad''s cousins (big Portuguese family) are from the New Bedford area, and when we were younger, we''d visit and we''d ALWAYS fill up on coffee milk. The syrup''s in the stores up here, and every once in a while I buy a bottle, just for nostalgia''s sake.
18.gif

Mmm...New England...Fresh SEAFOOD. Fried clams, clam chowder, and lobster rolls! Frappes! Onion rings made with just the right amount of flaky batter! Greek style thin-sliced, rare roast beef sandwiches with spicy sauce. Oh, god, my stomach is growling. Handmade ice cream from the local ice cream place, which usually opens in spring and closes in the fall. Oh, and Dunkin Donuts! They don''t have them in California.
38.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 8:07:55 PM
Author: Selkie
Date: 3/30/2009 6:07:24 PM

Author: ZoeBartlett

2.gif

I thought of that too.
9.gif
18.gif

Mmm...New England...Fresh SEAFOOD. Fried clams, clam chowder, and lobster rolls! Frappes! Onion rings made with just the right amount of flaky batter! Greek style thin-sliced, rare roast beef sandwiches with spicy sauce. Oh, god, my stomach is growling. Handmade ice cream from the local ice cream place, which usually opens in spring and closes in the fall. Oh, and Dunkin Donuts! They don''t have them in California.
38.gif

Selkie, there used to be Dunkin Donuts all over the place in CA-- I used to be just lightly addicted to their Maple Logs as a kid. I had no idea they vanished... I always assumed that all I''d have to do was hit the suburbs and they''d still be there. Oh no, I share in your sadness now!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results