shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite holiday foods...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bacon bread (made with crispy bacon and cream cheese :lickout: ); kringla, those mini tarts with nuts that I can't remember the name of, and pizzelles are my favorite cookies; Torrone my favorite candy.

kringla.jpeg

torrone.jpg

nut_tarts.jpg

pizzelle.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Butter tarts--I just made some!

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty rice and pineapple upside down cake.

The dirty rice because of my grandfather. He used to make it every thanksgiving/christmas. Even though he's been gone since my Sr year of high school, I'm reminded of him every time I make it. Last time I made some I started crying. He taught me how to make it when I was 5...its a memory that always stays with me.

Pineapple upside down cake because as a kid at christmas it was the last thing my mother made after a long night of cooking and the first thing devoured (for breakfast!!!) I hate cooked fruit sans a few. I tolerate pineapples because of this memory... My mom still makes it (though she dosent stay up all night to cook like she did when I was young) The nieces and nephews grew up with this tradition, and now its my great neices/nephews that get this memory.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh those pizzelles are so pretty! I love prime rib. I try to make one for every Christmas, but this year I bought a large tenderloin that I will cut into steaks and a roast. I love good meat. Lol.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian thank you so much for sharing your traditions and sweet memories. I love the comfort that comes from preparing food that represents special people and times in our lives. Sometimes those memories are bittersweet when those who taught us those traditions are no longer on the earthly plain but the love endures.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egg Nog, with or without a shot of Jack Daniels.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOO! I love the Torrone too!
The last time I bought some, I was disappointed that they were no longer each in the tiny little boxes.
Also, where is that papery layer on the outside that I loved so much as a kid?

I also miss pizzelles. Both grandmas used to make them. I have been looking for a pizzelle iron, but they are hard to find where I live.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fudge!

I make one pan a year because it's not exactly a 'good for you food' - lol! But I enjoy it at the holidays and worry about it in January!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great topic, Matata! :appl:

I learned something new from your post, even before reading the others.
Kringla! Never heard of it before. Just googled it and it sounds yummy! :))

Love butter tarts and pizzelle (Anise flavour, please), but I don't associate them with a particular holiday.

As demonstrated by Acadian's sweet post, food is so much more than just taste and texture.
Food is wrapped up in our traditions and memories.

My list:

Turnips and squash means its a holiday! Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter ...
Sweet Potato Casserole (no marshmallows). First made it when my children were young. A couple of Christmases ago, my daughter was home for Christmas and was shocked to find I hadn't made it. It never occurred to me that it was a 'tradition' for my kids. Now I know better.
Turkey. There has to be turkey at Christmas.
Mandarin oranges and chocolates. This goes back to my childhood when we'd get an orange in our stocking, and there would be chocolates in the house.

This thread has made me realize that my 'favorite holiday foods' is based on tradition, not taste.

Q

Queenie60

Homemade Tamales; my husband's ethnic food - Kufta. A great red wine and delicious crab. That's what I like during the Christmas season. Oh, not to forget the Sees chocolates!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister in laws make the best toffee and chocolate rum balls.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookies and these candy canes are my favorites. I also make sour cream sugar cookies and peanut butter blossoms.

img_13991.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egg nog cookies! with rum icing; rum butter cake; egg nog with run; it's sounding a bit like rum with anything :)

rutabega, gravy and candied sweet potatoes!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a sweet tooth so just warning you before I list my favorite holiday foods. ;))

Just a little backstory. My dh started baking (and cooking) for me shortly after we started dating and it was his way of showing how much he cared/cares. He would often bring me sweet treats. The very first thing he baked for me was raspberry almond bars and it always brings back such wonderful memories. I'm sorry I don't have any photos of that but another time.

Photos included from past holiday celebrations. Still lots of baking to come this year. :Up_to_something:

First up my dh's holiday butter cookies. They are always delicious and I am being objective I promise. :lickout:

christmasbuttercookies.jpg

Next photo is my dh's cheesecake.
Right below that is his apple pie.
And then his simple pumpkin pie. Always delectable.
And lastly but not least his pumpkin cheesecake which is really awesome.

My favorite is his apple pie but his cheesecake is a close second though all his desserts are worth the calories IMO so I never turn any of them down. I mean it is only once (or twice or 3x :cheeky: ) a year after all, right?
:halo:

These are my favorite "foods". I have always been a dessert girl and the main course is good but if I could only choose one thing it would be dessert. :cheeky:

cheesecakebygreg.jpg

applepiealagreg.jpg

pumpkinpie.jpg

_38680.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'll trade you Atticus for your dh. I am gaining weight just reading this thread :D

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man! I'm missing out! My all time favorite is pumpkin pie...with lots of whipped cream. I am literally shocked whenever I hear someone doesn't like it. How in the world is that possible?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVEEEE turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. :lickout: I think they taste EVEN BETTER as leftovers!!!!!!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1481568591|4106647 said:
Oh man! I'm missing out! My all time favorite is pumpkin pie...with lots of whipped cream. I am literally shocked whenever I hear someone doesn't like it. How in the world is that possible?

um.... *raises hand* Hate pumpkin pie. hate most pumpkin anything (except the seeds) :tongue: I will tear up sweet potato pie in a hot second though! :lickout:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holiday sweets, not foods. :wink2:

Egg nog
Shortbread cookies
Hello dollies
Raspberry thumbprint cookies
Peppermint fudge, but only 1 or 2 pieces, then it gets to be too much
This insanely rich bark stuff
Pecan pie

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1481545516|4106555 said:
Egg nog cookies! with rum icing...
rutabega...
Yes! :appl: :appl: I love rutabega! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: How do you prepare it? We just boil it, mash it up with butter, salt and pepper. Do you have a recipe for those egg nog and rum icing cookies?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet potato pie (with marshmallow/candied pecan topping)

Dumplings (made with lard) --last time I ate those was 2008. This was a family recipe carried down for at least 4 generations before me. Think flat but thick 2x2 dumplings coated in gravy/butter. Omg delish and will basically clog your arteries, so beware. I will never forget the pleasure they always brought to my palate, even though I no longer eat them. Myyyyy goodness!

Pecan pie, uh...duh.

Fruit salad (in the style of ambrosia salad aka marshmallow-fluffy made with mayo/sugar/marshmallow fluff and plenty of marashcino cherries, mandarin oranges, sliced apples, sliced bananas, etc. It's the one thing there's never enough of.)

Deviled eggs!

Green bean casserole: ok, I am the ONLY person who likes and makes this side. I foodie it up, though, with several nontraditional ingredients, but the french fried onion topping is always the same. That's what makes it familiar and AWESOME.

Mac -n- Cheese: Southern soul food. Cannot live without.

Dressing: most people call it "stuffing," but lots of folks around here call it dressing. I make mine vegetarian, as in no meat, no meat broth, etc. Still, so good. I just make it with local bread crumbs (if I don't have any), veggie broth, butter, celery/carrots/mushrooms, and seasonings. A happy mouthful, it makes, every time.

Did I say sweet potato pie yet? Of course I did. :lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll play... Scandinavian style.. lol.

Gotta love:

1. Lamb ribs with mashed rutabaga (combined with a bit of potatoes, carrots, cream and butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg)

2. Pork rib with sauerkraut

3. Turkey

4. Cold ham

ham.jpg

mashed.jpg

rib_of_lamb.jpg

rib.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One mouthful containing:

1. Juicy turkey breast meat