shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite Christmas CD''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What really puts you in the spirit??

Here''s some of my all time faves, but I''ve got a bunch.

Both by Trans-Siberian Orchestra:

Christmas Eve And Other Stories

The Christamas Attic

Harry Connick Jr.

When My Heart Finds Christmas

London Festival Orchestra

The Nutcracker

Nat King Cole

The Christmas Song

Bing Crosby

Christmas With Bing

Johnny Mathis

Christmas Eve

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (sings the "Charlie Brown" song, Christmas Time Is Here, beautifully....)

Christmas Songs: Various artisits (Barenaked Ladies singing God Rest ye Merry Gentleman is wonderful, Sarah McLaughlan, Dido singing CHristmas Day is particularily beauitful....)

Barbara Streisand's A Christmas Album: this early 60's recording is superb, I listened to it while growing up....I love her rendition of Gounod's Ava Maria....

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 11:18:25 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (sings the ''Charlie Brown'' song, Christmas Time Is Here, beautifully....)

Christmas Songs: Various artisits (Barenaked Ladies singing God Rest ye Merry Gentleman is wonderful, Sarah McLaughlan, Dido singing CHristmas Day is particularily beauitful....)

Barbara Streisand''s A Christmas Album: this early 60''s recording is superb, I listened to it while growing up....I love her rendition of Gounod''s Ava Maria....

cheers--Sharon
I love that version too!

And one of my absolute, at the tippy top favorites is BS''s version of Favorite Things (Sound of Music). Which really isn''t an actual Christmas song, but I mostly hear it at xmas. I just love it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/23/2007 11:36:19 AM
Author: Ellen

HI:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (sings the ''Charlie Brown'' song, Christmas Time Is Here, beautifully....)

Barbara Streisand''s A Christmas Album: this early 60''s recording is superb, I listened to it while growing up....I love her rendition of Gounod''s Ava Maria....

cheers--Sharon
I love that version too!

And one of my absolute, at the tippy top favorites is BS''s version of Favorite Things (Sound of Music). Which really isn''t an actual Christmas song, but I mostly hear it at xmas. I just love it.
HI:

Ellen, that song is on this CD.......now I must go and listen to it......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon
Oh, yes! I don''t love Babs as a person, but her early Christmas stuff was the best! Her Ave Maria is sublime!

Nat King Cole - the icon by which all other Christmas crooners are judged. I have more than one CD of holiday music from him. The Christmas Song is the definitive song of the season. I''ll have to throw down with anyone who has a dissenting opinion here.

Peanuts - of course. The original recordings - of course.

Any yesteryear singer with a greatest hits CD: Bing, Andy, Perry, etc.

I have lots of Windham Hill Christmas CDs. Beautiful, quiet music. Yes, I know they are cliche; what''s your point?

I have some great quiet jazz Christmas CDs; some classical guitar CDs; I like a very Zen holiday, thank you.

My parents got in the 60''s (and I purchased recently from an antique store!) a Firestone album with some great stuff on it like Babs, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Mahaila Jackson, Steve and Eyde Gorme, etc. I wish I had this in CD form, ''cause it is my idea of the Christmas music collection. Nothing compares to the classics in their original recordings.

I really am starting to sound like an old fart. Not yet cranky, but maybe heading that direction. SAVE ME!
28.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/23/2007 12:06:05 PM
Author: HollyS

HI:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (sings the 'Charlie Brown' song, Christmas Time Is Here, beautifully....)

Barbara Streisand's A Christmas Album: this early 60's recording is superb, I listened to it while growing up....I love her rendition of Gounod's Ava Maria....

cheers--Sharon
Oh, yes! I don't love Babs as a person, but her early Christmas stuff was the best! Her Ave Maria is sublime!

Nat King Cole - the icon by which all other Christmas crooners are judged. I have more than one CD of holiday music from him. The Christmas Song is the definitive song of the season. I'll have to throw down I have some great quiet jazz Christmas CDs; some classical guitar CDs; I like a very Zen holiday, thank you.

My parents got in the 60's (and I purchased recently from an antique store!) a Firestone album with some great stuff on it like Babs, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Mahaila Jackson, Steve and Eyde Gorme, etc. I wish I had this in CD form, 'cause it is my idea of the Christmas music collection. Nothing compares to the classics in their original recordings.

I really am starting to sound like an old fart. Not yet cranky, but maybe heading that direction. SAVE ME!
28.gif
HI:

HOLLY--I looked and looked and LOOKED for this on CD and don't think it was every digitally remastered...BOOHOO, I listened to these "Firestone" albums (we had two) over and over growing up.....as well as the Harry Simone Choir which was sublime....but not to be found on CD nowadays.....

love your avatar of course.......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
A Rat Pack Christmas Collection, Mariah Carey''s Christmas cd, James Taylor''s cd, and I''m totally showing my age here.. Nsync. Haha :)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sharon!

I can''t take credit for the avitar change -- a co-worker friend had something similiar up this morning as her screensaver -- I stole the idea! As far as I''m concerned, it''s not Christmas without Charlie Brown and the gang!

We need to suggest to the copyrighted owners of that Firestone album that they get it remastered and onto a CD. I''m thinking it was originally a Capitol Records compilation. I think it would be a HUGE seller for them. We need to blitz them with letters!
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Jingle Cats.

Seriously. My mom and I put it on every year and laugh so. hard.

Other classics at my family's house are Nat King Cole, and The Singers Unlimited (a capella):

The Singers Unlimited, Christmas

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 11:50:32 AM
HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
9.gif

Holly, lmao. I'm right there with you on Nat.
11.gif
I've got a couple Jazz too. They're different, more for like wrapping presents and stuff, but I like them. And uh, I think my last 3 selections showed my age quite nicely.
9.gif
5.gif

OU, Mariah's version of All I Want For Christmas is another of my top tier faves.

Ebree, Single Cats? *looking up*

ETA Um, that's Jingle, not Single.....
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's a similar thread i started a few years ago on christmas music:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/christmas-music.36308/

probably some similar recommends in there! not sure what i put in there since i'm too lazy to click, but i love the old rat pack classics, i got that one last year from amazon. i like diana krall. love bing crosby, nat king cole aka old school stuff from childhood. this wk i picked up the target 'for charity' christmas cd which has whitney houston and some other people on there, it sounded pretty good and was something like $5.99. love the mariah cd where she is on the cover in the santa outfit. but three of my best cd's came from pottery barn, i love those 2 or 3 cd compilations that the stores do for xmas (i think WS and RH has similar things as well) because it has a ton of the old 50/60s music on it. all the stuff i remember from growing up. oh and the nutcracker is a classic for us since we go see it every year in SF so i have the SF orchestra CD.

i puffy heart the soundtrack from Love Actually because there are a bunch of xmas songs on there. otis redding does a great version of white christmas. the only problem is that i don't think he has an xmas cd which is too bad since i think it'd be awesome in his amazing voice. so i just listen to that one song hehee.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Dean Martin, Eartha Kitt, Julie London, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet and Nat King Cole for holiday music!!!!! I pretty much like it all except the Chipmunks
14.gif

Ellen, how was your Thanksgiving??? I love the new avie (any chance we can get one w/your gorgeous rock mixed in w/balls)?
27.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:06:05 PM
Author: Skippy123
I love Dean Martin, Eartha Kitt, Julie London, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet and Nat King Cole for holiday music!!!!! I pretty much like it all except the Chipmunks
14.gif

Ellen, how was your Thanksgiving??? I love the new avie (any chance we can get one w/your gorgeous rock mixed in w/balls)?
27.gif
Skippy!
9.gif
We''ll see.
11.gif
2.gif

And, I can''t believe you no likey ze Chipmunks!
41.gif
9.gif

Mara, thanks for that link. Everyone keeps mentioning Diana Krall, WHY have I never heard of her??

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 12:59:22 PM

Date: 11/23/2007 11:50:32 AM
HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
9.gif

Holly, lmao. I''m right there with you on Nat.
11.gif
I''ve got a couple Jazz too. They''re different, more for like wrapping presents and stuff, but I like them. And uh, I think my last 3 selections showed my age quite nicely.
9.gif
5.gif

OU, Mariah''s version of All I Want For Christmas is another of my top tier faves.

Ebree, Single Cats? *looking up*

ETA Um, that''s Jingle, not Single.....
9.gif
Okay, I can forgive the Harry Connick "When My Heart Finds Christmas" if you''re Nat lover!
11.gif
The HC song is right up there with Perry''s "Toyland" as my least favs! They might even be more annoying than the barking dogs "Jingle Bells".

Really. I''m not criticizing. I promise.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no chipmunks for me either though i do listen to the song when it comes on the radio.
41.gif

ellen i had never heard of diana krall either, but she was on amazon''s top 10 when i went to check it out in hearing about her in that thread in 2005. it''s not my absolute fave xmas cd but i like it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:14:52 PM

Okay, I can forgive the Harry Connick ''When My Heart Finds Christmas'' if you''re Nat lover!
11.gif
The HC song is right up there with Perry''s ''Toyland'' as my least favs! They might even be more annoying than the barking dogs ''Jingle Bells''.

9.gif
6.gif

creepaway3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:15:45 PM
Author: Mara
no chipmunks for me either though i do listen to the song when it comes on the radio.
41.gif

ellen i had never heard of diana krall either, but she was on amazon''s top 10 when i went to check it out in hearing about her in that thread in 2005. it''s not my absolute fave xmas cd but i like it.
Hmm, I''ll have to check her out....

And for the record, I hate the Chipmunks too.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:18:49 PM

Date: 11/23/2007 1:15:45 PM
41.gif

ellen i had never heard of diana krall either, but she was on amazon's top 10 when i went to check it out in hearing about her in that thread in 2005. it's not my absolute fave xmas cd but i like it.
Hmm, I'll have to check her out....

9.gif
LOL, LOL, I was beginning to worry bout your music taste there for a sec.
lol.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:04:59 PM

i love the old rat pack classics ... ...love bing crosby, nat king cole aka old school stuff from childhood. ...

How FUNNY! I was just going to say the Rat Pack Christmas music from the 60''s!!! And of course Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole -- I also like Perry Como.

Last year I went to Music Match and just downloaded various songs I love. I''m just not that big into the whole rock n roll Christmas. I prefer stuff that reminds me of Christmas in a much simpler time and brings the kid out in me.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:17:20 PM

Date: 11/23/2007 1:14:52 PM

Okay, I can forgive the Harry Connick ''When My Heart Finds Christmas'' if you''re Nat lover!
11.gif
The HC song is right up there with Perry''s ''Toyland'' as my least favs! They might even be more annoying than the barking dogs ''Jingle Bells''.

9.gif
6.gif

creepaway3.gif
No, seriously, I think it sounds like Paul Anka''s idea of a great Christmas song. Bleh.
25.gif
28.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:24:59 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 11/23/2007 1:18:49 PM

Hmm, I''ll have to check her out....

9.gif
LOL, LOL, I was beginning to worry bout your music taste there for a sec.
lol.gif
lol.gif
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:27:50 PM

No, seriously, I think it sounds like Paul Anka''s idea of a great Christmas song. Bleh.
25.gif
28.gif
lol.gif
Stop. You people are making me cry. In a good way.
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Amy Grant -Home for Christmas - I think is THE BEST album ever.

my other favorite is Chris Botti - December

and don''t have me, but I kinda like Jessica Simpson - ReJoyce

DH votes for the Jimmy Buffett one.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every single year since, well, forever, we listen to the same thing at my parents'' house -- Meinheim Steemroller. It''s very good! I also love Tim Janis, Sarah Maclachlan, Harry Connick, and many, many others. Oh, and I''m not a Chipmunks fan either.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
El, I''ve not heard any of those, and I didn''t even know JB had one out. That would be, interesting...
9.gif

Zoe, I''ve got a couple MS too, forgot about them.

Keep em coming guys, I''ll be buying a couple here shortly.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Bing Crosby, I have one that was originally a radio broadcast so it has all sort of interesting info in it.

Harry Connick, Jr.

Dean Martin and Nat King Cole, it was a Kohl''s Cares for Kids Christmas album

George Strait

Garth Brooks

I love my Christmas music. I actually have 14 Christmas CDs.
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Mannheim Steamroller
Charlie Brown
Ventures take a 60''s listen...hip happening cool big daddy!!!
and any instrumental jazz
or instrumental guitar like Peter Mayer, click on blue album and take a listen.

§

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
In term of holiday albums, I only have two: Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey. But I buy different songs from itunes and I have my own little Christmas music compilations.

When I used to work at the Gap, they used to have these random mixes of older songs and I would try my hardest to find them. There are some Christmas songs that are classic Christmas at the Gap.

I think I listened to "All I Want For Christmas Is You" about a dozen times yesterday. Another favorite is "Purple Snowflakes" by Marvin Gaye. And I love Christina''s version of "Oh Holy Night." And then I love anything classical. Making your kids learn to play the piano does pay off!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mara...didn''t you a few years ago, go out and buy like 15 holiday CD''s? You should be the most informed consumer on this subect. What was your favorite?

§

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
David Foster''s "The Christmas Album" with various artists
Jewel''s "Joy: a holiday collection"
Kenny G''s christmas albums
A Very Special Xmas volume 1
Mannheim Steamroller''s Silent Night - beautiful!
Barbra Streisand''s "A christmas album"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results