shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Luc Yen spinel ring I would like to reset in the future. Current setting is the CVB Dahlia.

That's so cool. I see purple and blue! More pictures pls!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Cockatiel @TheGarnetGirl it's stunning as it is, imo, but I'm always curious as to what kind of reset you have in mind; completely over-the-top and flamboyant? Is the setting too high for you? What's motivating you to want to reset it?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This is my spinel Big Blue! I may start a thread on her soon because I want opinions on possible recut/reset!
bigblue1.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is my spinel Big Blue! I may start a thread on her soon because I want opinions on possible recut/reset!
bigblue1.jpeg

I think she's nice enough as she is, apart from the wonky top prong.

If you're considering a reset, I'd like to ask whether you've seen this blue spinel ring from OTL (no longer active on PS but opened up an Etsy shop).

1591654376998.png

I think a double halo with a different contrasting color outside an inner white diamond halo would look pretty nice.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, that is nice. *off to look right now*
Big Blue doesn't get worn enough because of her setting. She's barely contained in there. There is also a part of me that feels bad as the setting was also clearly made for her. Her whole belly touches my finger! Cut like a Spanish Galleon, this one :twisted2: . You could read a newspaper through her. But she's also the magical 5+ carats per GIA and a recut would probably bring her under. I dunno what to do about it! spanish galleon.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou I would get a recut without even batting an eye. Yes yes it's 5+ carats on paper, but she's running too deep in color and in cut (for me). Of course, I've always prized beauty over size, and there are a lot of people for whom size is one of the most important factors for a gemstone.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou I would get a recut without even batting an eye. Yes yes it's 5+ carats on paper, but she's running too deep in color and in cut (for me). Of course, I've always prized beauty over size, and there are a lot of people for whom size is one of the most important factors for a gemstone.

This is where I'm leaning as well. I'll go ahead and start a thread on her later today.
I want the color and sparkle. More than I care about size. She's a color change too! Her actual 'outdoor' color won't even be picked up by my phone. She's a dark teal then.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's so cool. I see purple and blue! More pictures pls!

Those pics are showing the blue side of the stone, under bright fluorescent light.
There's more pics posted here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/design-help.257179/
Being a light colored spinel it does shift and pick up the various colors from the environment. Here it looks more metallic, reflecting the grey interior. Sorry they are not in focus but you get the idea.

id6.jpg

kx4s.jpg

vhaq.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is where I'm leaning as well. I'll go ahead and start a thread on her later today.
I want the color and sparkle. More than I care about size. She's a color change too! Her actual 'outdoor' color won't even be picked up by my phone. She's a dark teal then.

I'm against recuts in general, but in your case it sounds like you may enjoy the spinel more after the recut. Just keep in mind the color may not stay the same if you go ahead with the recut. That's my number one reservations when it comes to recuts.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm against recuts in general, but in your case it sounds like you may enjoy the spinel more after the recut. Just keep in mind the color may not stay the same if you go ahead with the recut. That's my number one reservations when it comes to recuts.

I'm conflicted, for sure.
Oh! I also wanted to tell you that my thirteen year old just came in a little while ago and said she loved your ring. She said,"It looks like when you're looking at the sunshine from the surface while underwater."

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Cockatiel @TheGarnetGirl it's stunning as it is, imo, but I'm always curious as to what kind of reset you have in mind; completely over-the-top and flamboyant? Is the setting too high for you? What's motivating you to want to reset it?

Thank you @voce, I have a thread on the setting here

I basically have this thing where I can't stand it if the pavillion of stones get dirty. When it invariably gets dirty from coming into contact with oils, lotion, whatever, it drives me bonkers. It's doubly annoying if the stone is more of a sparkler, rather than a glowy one. So yeah I have issues with intricate galleries because I'm not able to access the pavilion very easily when cleaning it like if I am out and about. I am resetting basically anything with a fancy gallery that doesn't have big spaces between the pavillion and the metal. Or the culet and the metal. I just get annoyed thinking about that even. I almost cannot look at the ring or keep it on if I am somehow feeling like there's stuff trapped between the pavillion or the cult and the metal. Now I didn't realize how much I hate it until sort of recently so I have a few rings that are like that. It's just a personal preference because lots of people are fine with even more intricate designs with nooks and crannies and the metal being so close to the stone itself.

I also developed lots of weird idiosyncrasies over time regarding rings and have a list of things that just bother me and I would not like in my rings. It could be something minor like the shape of the shank or how the weight is distributed, etc but certain things tick me off! So I'm resetting a bunch of things to make them more comfortable for me.

I would have haloed it to provide more contrast but because I like bigger halos, it would look a little ridiculous here. Same with three stones, I really prefer to have large side stones in terms of proportions, but at the same time am not into giant rings so I don't know how to reset it really!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm conflicted, for sure.
Oh! I also wanted to tell you that my thirteen year old just came in a little while ago and said she loved your ring. She said,"It looks like when you're looking at the sunshine from the surface while underwater."

Thank you, I love the red spinel ring in your avatar, and the large blue spinel has a lot of potential as well, being such a substantial size. Come to think of it you could do something similar with your blue spinel if you decide to reset it, I bet the red and blue would look nice even if you decide to wear them together. I have spinels in similar colors and those certain hues of red and blue look nice together. Now I hesitate to bring up this thread again....because it's just about me being annoyed at myself and not about the person who did the recut (he is awesome and is very good at what he does). But here is an old thread of mine regarding a spinel that I recut that did change its color.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/recut-this-spinel-or-no.246983/

Long story short, I had a large spinel recut without losing the face up size but the color changed in a way that was not appealing to me. There are more pictures of the "after" state of the spinel here.

It might be hard to tell from the pictures, but the saturation suffered a bit and the hue is a little different. I have (i.e. hoard) lots of stones in this color range, many are small and cut horridly but are useful when evaluating new stones to see how they stack up in terms of color. Before the recut, the oval resembled a more violet stone which was a bit more saturated. After the recut, well it no longer resembles that stone but actually is closer to the solitaire stone which is definitely more silvery. I prefer violet over silvery pink so I regret that the color became lighter.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No, I thank you for it and am going to peruse them now. These are all considerations I must weigh before a decision is made, so seeing perspectives for me is key.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I thank you for it and am going to peruse them now. These are all considerations I must weigh before a decision is made, so seeing perspectives for me is key.

In my case I already had an already pale stone which lightened further after the recut. Your stone has a depth of color and a recut is never going to darken it so that works in your favour, I think, if you don't mind a lighter stone than the current one. Everybody is different though, some people prefer rich jewel tones over lighter colors so that's another factor.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
In my case I already had an already pale stone which lightened further after the recut. Your stone has a depth of color and a recut is never going to darken it so that works in your favour, I think, if you don't mind a lighter stone than the current one. Everybody is different though, some people prefer rich jewel tones over lighter colors so that's another factor.

I'm more worried about losing the strange color change ability of the stone- you can't see it in the pictures I'm able to take; I don't mind losing some saturation. I just noticed the previous pics I showed were *with* foil on the back of the setting to close the window. I will show just how badly windowed this stone is tomorrow when I can take day pics to start a dedicated thread.
I am going to ruminate on it tonight. Your threads are very helpful to me so thank you for sharing. I hope I can articulate what I think I want more fully then.

H

Horsegirl76

bigblue1.jpeg

I might be the exception here, but I think your spinel is exceptional and I think it’s beautiful as is.

currada

Rough_Rock
Wearing this Zuni cuff with my emerald ring today, headed out for a stroll. Featuring glue on nails! Hey, these actually stay on really well and look good, if anyone is looking for a temporary manicure option, I’m pleasantlysurprised. 4257100D-17FB-45DF-9B61-78C218BCBC6E.jpeg 14BE59DA-2085-4FE6-AED4-2443EE7508F6.jpeg

Browsing this thread and came upon your Zuni bracelet. Love it

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
My modest little amber, with only the small pendant during the day then I’m changing to the larger one tonight :). F8699843-F2BC-4E89-A712-D22E34D0FAC5.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results