shape
carat
color
clarity

What are YOU wearing for the holidays??? Does this fly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
okay, I need some advice from the masses out there : )

what do you think about this blouse paired with black dress pants?

I am TERRIBLE with clothes and typically do very simple, casual. I went shopping today in desperation for something new, slightly fancier, and different for both normal wear and the coming holidays (Thanksgiving & Christmas with the new fiance''s family and huge extended family (most of whom I''ve never met before).

Is this "appropriate" for nicer events with new future mother-in-law, older relatives, etc...? We''re not talking oober-formal dinner, but a nice family get together and some home holiday parties... I was a bit surpised by the number of sleeveless, or very light tops that were in many of the stores I went to, including AnnTaylorLoft... isn''t it supposed to be winter?? Do people typically wear lots of these shortsleeves/sleeveless tops in Nov-Feb?? I''m unobservant enough to not even know!

I really liked this blouse and bought it, but am unsure whether it fits the bill for Thanksgiving?? Maybe a better item for a night out around New Years with the fiance?? Here it is:
http://anntaylorloft.com/atlLMProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=34&Product_Id=93464

Man I stink at being a girl! Clearly wearing scrubs to work every day has eliminated my ability to dress like a woman
14.gif

I really want to make a good impression -- not be the bizarre new fiance who has whacked out fashion sense
32.gif

I''ve got other options of course -- a few nice, simple can''t-go-wrong sweaters, but I''m trying to be more interesting than that!

What are YOU wearing for the holidays???

Aurelia

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2006 8:27:11 PM
Author:Aurelia
I was a bit surpised by the number of sleeveless, or very light tops that were in many of the stores I went to, including AnnTaylorLoft... isn''t it supposed to be winter??

global warming

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
you make me laugh JulieN!

I''m in New Hampshire, but will be in New York for the holidays... it''s not tropical here - will probably be 20-30 degrees outside...

clearly people bring jackets! but yeah, I''m still confused!

Aurelia

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty blouse Aurelia! You will need something to wear over it though. Do you have a long cardigan that might be suitable to wear with the blouse and black dress pants, or a fitted jacket?

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
hmlr -- not yet -- I figured I''d need to find something to keep me warm and make the whole thing look more wintery... that''s another shopping trip for the beginning of next week... any suggestions of something you''ve seen in stores recently?? yes I know that''s a long shot!!

is that a poodle?? ADORABLE!

Aurelia

basil

Brilliant_Rock

The top is really cute, but I would be concerned that it''s a little low cut for family type events. I''d be worried that if I bent over my belly button would be exposed!

1.gif
It depends on how it fits though. I think you''re right that New Years'' Eve may be more appropriate.

For Thanksgiving, it''s going to be just me and my parents in my minimally furnished apartment (i.e. I don''t even have a dining table yet), so I''ll be in scrubs since I have to work that night.

For Christmas and for my hospital''s Christmas party, I am wearing this camisole with this skirt, both in black, with black platform pumps, a gold wrap and gold chandelier earrings.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I have a long black cardigan that I bought a couple of months ago which I am getting a lot of wear out of. It has flecks of pretty much every colour imaginable in it, so it goes well with jeans, suede and dress pants. Sorry, no pix to share, but I think there are a lot of the longer cardigans out there for this season that can really dress an outfit up.

Yes, that is Brownie, my toy poodle.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cute top! that would be fab with jeans and kitten heel sandals too. we don''t dress up for the family holidays really ... it''s too uncomfortable to be pigging out wearing fancy clothes, hahaa. i typically just wear some sort of stylish jeans with heels and a fitted sweater or something. layers are fun too. i also love wearing a slightly more summery top with a big scarf wrapped and dangling, it''s kind of like a weird holiday oxymoron.

in terms of what to put over it to make it warmer, i got the CUTEST top at ann taylor yesterday (thanks to miss carebear who had one on and i HAD to have it!!), it''s like this shrug sweater with a collar but super simple, and doesn''t button or anything. they had them in a bunch of diff styles, aka closely knitted one (no holes), or a crocheted looking one in a few diff styles (larger crochet holes, smaller ones), and in black, brown, white, tan, etc. some are on sale. that would be super cute over something like this and this sweater works for over a simple tank with jeans too. i had to get two!

but in terms of warmth, considering it was about 75 degrees today here in N. CA....i''m not shocked to see clothes like that out. though it does feel a little weird to be walking around in a tank in nov!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I agree that it''s cute, but I do think it shows a little too much skin for the holidays with the in-laws-to-be. I''d probably just wear a nice fitted sweater and pants, especially since it''s going to be cold!

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
thank you girls!

This is one instance where having mostly male friends is REALLY unhelpful! No shopping buddies!

Basil -- I love that skirt : ) The blouse is definetly long enough to cover me : ) It's a v-neck, but not very low cut (at least on me)...

HMLR -- toy poodle... cutie! I'm looking for a long black sweater coat but haven't had any luck finding one I like... AHH!

Mara -- I looked at the sweaters there and didn't find one that I thought went well enough -- it looked kind of thrown together... but they were cute!! I am SO envious of you that it's 75 in CA... already getting sick of gloves & hats here!!!

Will keep searching!

Aurelia

ETA: Lizzie... I typically feel a bit under-dressed, or too informal, or not girly enough -- I was trying to feel more feminine, but this may be pushing it... I am thinking about it! But simple/classic may be more the way to go : ) Thanks for the advice!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I still really like it, and if you are wearing scrubs everyday, it will be nice to wear something very feminine. Are your future in-laws quite conservative? I don''t think you would be overly exposed in that top....have you tried it on yet?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think that top is unconservative at all!! it''s super cute with the ruffles and feminine and it covers all the important parts.
3.gif
maybe wear it with a super fitted blazer type jacket so you can wear it inside the house or take it off however you feel best?

nordstrom.com has the cutest BCBG gray boucle shrug that i am dying for, i havent looked recently to see if it''s on sale but retail was about $170 and they had it paired over a cute silky looking gray top and black dress pants. i just couldn''t justify the cost but keep hoping it will go on sale. maybe check something like that out?

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
HMLR -- they''re not super conservative -- my fiance''s mother and sister (the only two female relatives I''ve met so far) always have been wearing really nice, coordinated, feminine outfits : ) And I''ve felt, um, a bit tom-boyish most of the time... I have tried the top on, and will again -- it feels more revealing than my typical fare, but that isn''t saying much! I''m going to try it on for the fiance tonight -- if he goes WOW then it''s a no-go... if he says ''oh that looks nice'' it''ll be family-approved... see what I mean??

thanks again,
Aurelia

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I think it will be perfect from what you said! It''s not like you will be wearing it with a mega push up bra!
3.gif
lol!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
that top would be cute with boot cut jeans (black), and a fitted suede or corduroy blazer.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 8:30:35 PM
Author: JulieN

I was a bit surpised by the number of sleeveless, or very light tops that were in many of the stores I went to, including AnnTaylorLoft... isn''t it supposed to be winter??

global warming

resort season

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 9:04:08 PM
Author: Aurelia
thank you girls!

I''m looking for a long black sweater coat but haven''t had any luck finding one I like... AHH!

here''s one that nordstrom has for $89 that would be cute w/ that top. there''s another one i saw on shopbop, hold on

how do you attach 2 pics to 1 post??

dkny-sweater.jpg

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
this one on shopbop''s $345

diav-sweater.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''m trying to be more interesting than that!

Aurelia
My advice is, don''t try to be (wear) something different. You''re meeting new family, be yourself. Find something if you can in your wardrobe that is you, and that looks good on you. That''s all you need.
28.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick a simple outfit and glam it up with fabulous high heels and a nice clutch purse. You could also pick out some nice jewelry. It is important that you feel comfortable in the outfit though b/c that will show!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I like that top a lot. But then I like to dress up for the holidays. I bought a great brown velvet skirt from BCBG, and have a fitted, yet deconstructed brown heathered thin wool jersey long sleeve top by DKNY to go with it. (it has a lot of caramel flecks in it). Knee high heeled brown suede boots and I''m good to go. I might wear some cool caramel colored tights...faux fishnet or something.

For Turkey day I''ll probably just wear jeans,heels, and a cute top... but for xmas events I''ll get a little more festive.

Jeannine

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
If that shirt is too revealing I wonder what my husband family thinks of my clothes-HA.

Cute shirt. Like the other posters suggested I would wear a cute cardigan, blazer, or belted sweater over it. Everything here is still spring/summer looking too.

edited: Sorry I put too conservative.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the info says it''s a DEEP V-neck. So try it on and see if you''re comfortable with it. I do like the ruffles on the sleeves, so cute.

AT''s stuff usually doesn''t fit me right. I hope it fits and you love it.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
That top is cute, but if it''s not "you", you''ll be uncomfortable. Plus you''ll be freezing unless you cover it up--and it seems to me that the ruffles might get bunchy under a jacket or sweater? I vote for cute jeans and a fitted sweater of some kind with heeled boots.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results