shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you serving for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having Roast Turkey and Prime Rib Roast.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are serving a traditional dinner... roast turkey, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole (but made with fresh beans) and a bonus side dish of wild rice pilaf...

in Amsterdam. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traditional foods...
Turkey
Ham*
Dressing and Gravy
mashed potatoes
green beans (fresh)*
sweet potatoes (using canned...boo)*
turnip greens
homemade cranberry sauce**
rolls
pumpkin pie, apple pie, and triple berry dump cake** for dessert!
ice tea

I start cooking today. I'm fixing the * ones, DD fixing the ** and my mom is fixing the rest.
I love cooking with my DD...so much fun to watch her take things on.

Love Thanksgiving!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are serving mainly the traditional holiday food.

Desserts (my favorite food for Thanskgiving that and the stuffing of course) include Apple Pie and instead of Pumpkin Pie we (well my dh) will be baking Cheesecake this year. Sweet Potato with rosemary, cauliflower mash (instead of mashed potatoes and trust me my dh's cauliflower mash is TDF delicious), stuffing, green beans and corn, cranberry sauce homemade and turkey (I don't eat the turkey and keep hoping one year I can convince my dh to skip serving the poor turkey :(2 )

I am making the fresh and yummy salad and a black bean and quinoa dish for the vegetarians (me) attending.

Would love it if people added photos after the cooking/baking is done.:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roast turkey
Home made stuffing with fresh herbs, bacon, onion and chopped pecans (and bread crumbs - obvs!)
Gravy made from the turkey juices
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potatoes with horseradish cream
Mashed butternut squash with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar (this and the potato go 50/50 in the same serving dish - looks very pretty)
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower with bechamel cheese sauce
Braised Brussel sprouts with garlic and pine nuts
Roasted beets and roasted onion slices, mint and sour cream

Flaky pastry bread rolls
Martinelli's for the kids - wine for the adults

Triple chocolate pumpkin pie - which is about the same consistency as chocolate truffles or cold butter! A-MAZ-ING!

Defibrillator, stomach pump, and a good lay down.

@missy - I was vegetarian for many years, and vegan for a few, and, while I'm no longer strictly either, I eat very little meat. Consequently, I will normally skip the turkey and I find, if the sides are good enough, so do most people. Two years ago when I did this menu, we got to the end of the meal and put the entire turkey back in the fridge!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roast turkey
Home made stuffing with fresh herbs, bacon, onion and chopped pecans (and bread crumbs - obvs!)
Gravy made from the turkey juices
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potatoes with horseradish cream
Mashed butternut squash with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar (this and the potato go 50/50 in the same serving dish - looks very pretty)
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower with bechamel cheese sauce
Braised Brussel sprouts with garlic and pine nuts
Roasted beets and roasted onion slices, mint and sour cream

Flaky pastry bread rolls
Martinelli's for the kids - wine for the adults

Triple chocolate pumpkin pie - which is about the same consistency as chocolate truffles or cold butter! A-MAZ-ING!

Defibrillator, stomach pump, and a good lay down.

@missy - I was vegetarian for many years, and vegan for a few, and, while I'm no longer strictly either, I eat very little meat. Consequently, I will normally skip the turkey and I find, if the sides are good enough, so do most people. Two years ago when I did this menu, we got to the end of the meal and put the entire turkey back in the fridge!

Um.... Yum!!!
If you don't mind sharing the recipe, I would love to try that chocolate pumpkin pie.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the regular stuff, DH is going to make green bean casserole to go with the turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.

Chocolate cream pie for dessert from the same company we got our pies from when I was a kid over 30 years ago :lickout:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um.... Yum!!!
If you don't mind sharing the recipe, I would love to try that chocolate pumpkin pie.

Hi @TooPatient - sure can!

Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

ingredients

·2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 16 crackers)
·6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
·1 tablespoon granulated sugar
·2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
·1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
·1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
·3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped
·6 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 55 percent cacao), chopped
·4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
·1 can (15 ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
·1 can (12 ounce) evaporated milk
·3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
·3 large eggs
·1 tablespoon cornstarch
·1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
·3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
·1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
·1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
·1 ounce milk chocolate, melted

directions

1. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugars, salt, cinnamon and ginger, press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until lightly golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Sprinkle the bittersweet chocolate over bottom of crust, return to oven until it melts and spread it in a thin layer over the bottom of the crust.

3. Melt the semisweet chocolate and butter in a double boiler until smooth and set aside.

4. Mix the pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.

5. Mix in 1/3 of the pumpkin mixture into the chocolate and then mix in the rest.

6. Pour the mixture into the pie plate and bake in a preheated 325F/170C oven until the center is set but still jiggly, about 50-60 minutes.

7. Let cool, refrigerate overnight and drizzle the milk chocolate on just before serving.

Enjoy! :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am brining and smoking a turkey plus all the other regular sides except stuffing. My little family hates it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are heading out of the cold and into the warm and will be served rather than serving.
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.45 AM.png

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All homemade: Roasted turkey, stuffing, green bean/artichoke heart casserole, sweet potato casserole (not the kind with marshmallows...just sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, whipped into a fluff and then baked with chopped pecans on top), two kinds of cranberry sauce, and homemade apple, pecan and pumpkin pie. I started cooking at the crack of dawn this morning, as I can't possibly get it all done tomorrow. I even roast the turkey today, (I pour the juices from the turkey in a saucepan so that the fat hardens and can be skimmed off) and then the next day, I carve the turkey, arrange it on a couple of nice oven safe platters, take the now gelatinous juices and put blobs all over the turkey and stuffing and reheat it in the oven. This way, no one is carving tableside, the mess is minimal, the fat from the turkey has been removed and because of all of the juices, the turkey is as moist as could be!! We've been doing it this way in my family since I was a child. Yum!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You lot ! Spain needs a new tradition, no doubt ... [going for partridge, 'migas' & baked sweet potato - the closest things around to what you are talking about]

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One traditional fresh herbs & lemon turkey
One balsamic vinegar & lemon glazed turkey
Wine sauce to match each.

Fresh baked challah (baked with herbs) turned into dressing with apples & almonds.

Roasted garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes.

White sweet potatoes with ginger & lime
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows

Fresh cranberry orange sauce
Cranberry relish

Green bean casserole (fresh beans & mushrooms)

Olives

Grandma's pistachio pudding....
Jello pistachio pudding, Cool Whip, crushed pineapple out of a can, and maraschino cherries. (Yes, there is no real food to this but Grandma wants it)

Fresh baked dinner rolls

Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Crustless pumpkin pie

Assorted stuff Grandpa makes including:
Pickled asparagus
Chex mix
Date pinwheels
Peanut brittle

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shrimp stuffed bell peppers
Crawfish etouffe
Gumbo
Broccoli casserole
Brussel sprouts smothered in bacon and bacon grease lol
Jambalaya
Turkey
Oyster dressing

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Creamed spinach
Roasted brussel sprouts
Sweet potato gratin
Mushroom gratin
Roasted asparagus
Marinated mushrooms & olives
Apple pie

I'm a vegetarian so I tend to make lots of veggie dishes.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear @missy, could you please share your dh's cauliflower mash recipe?
I'd love an alternative to potato /sweet potato mash (I'm usually doing rutabaga / carrot for guests... but my dh and kids don't like it)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear @missy, could you please share your dh's cauliflower mash recipe?
I'd love an alternative to potato /sweet potato mash (I'm usually doing rutabaga / carrot for guests... but my dh and kids don't like it)

Hi Kipari, I just asked the chef (who has been cooking and baking all day poor baby!) and here is how he does it.

Cut cauliflower head into quarters
Put into boiling water
Cook until soft
Drain water
Add olive oil, salt and pepper (and a dash of milk for texture if you want) to taste
Mash like mash potatoes
And it's done. And it is here it is fresh from just being made

cauliflowermash.jpg

While I am at it here's the roasted sweet potato with rosemary. Can I just say how good it smells in here yummmm.

roastedsweetpotatoandrosemary.jpg

Stuffing made and ready to go into oven tomorrow morning. Being put in fridge right now.

stuffingreadytogointooven.jpg

Apple pie finished and cheesecake in oven right now.:lickout: Woohoo. :appl:

Hope everyone's prep is going smoothly!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kipari, I just asked the chef (who has been cooking and baking all day poor baby!) and here is how he does it.

Put into boiling water
Cook until soft
Drain water
Add olive oil, salt and pepper (and a dash of milk for texture if you want) to taste
Mash like mash potatoes

cauliflowermash.jpg

While I am at it here's the roasted sweet potato with rosemary. Can I just say how good it smells in here yummmm.

Stuffing made and ready to go into oven tomorrow morning. Being put in fridge right now.

Thank you missy!

Everything looks delicious, kudos to the chef!

We're celebrating thanksgiving on the first Sunday in October, but it's not nearly as important / big as in the US...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just parboiled the green bell peppers. About to make cream of shrimp soup for today

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting hungry just reading what everyone is having. Our plans got blown apart when DH got recalled at work so we are doing super simple and I am not really cooking. Bought some sides at Costco for the kids and a pie. I am going to grill some fillet mignon and heat up the sides. I eat keto so no sugar or starches for me. If DH was home we would cook more. He is cooking a traditional dinner for his crew. He is the only one in our home who likes turkey, so he will get his fix.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting hungry just reading what everyone is having. Our plans got blown apart when DH got recalled at work so we are doing super simple and I am not really cooking. Bought some sides at Costco for the kids and a pie. I am going to grill some fillet mignon and heat up the sides. I eat keto so no sugar or starches for me. If DH was home we would cook more. He is cooking a traditional dinner for his crew. He is the only one in our home who likes turkey, so he will get his fix.
Yeah, I'm trying to stick to keto myself. The other stuff is for the kids and DH, though I will have a shrimp stuffed bell pepper

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Put into boiling water
Cook until soft
Drain water
Mash like mash potatoes

cauliflowermash.jpg

I always look forward to hearing what your DH is baking/cooking for the holiday, Missy! Love seeing the pictures too! So funny, I've either been here too long, or he's a really great cook! Probably both, lol!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just the two of us so going LAZY this year.
Turkey roast
Instant mashed potatoes from a box.
Boxed gravy from Trader Joe's
Oven Roasted French green beans with bacon bits
Pumpkin pie from Costco
That's it. :lol-2:
When my mother was alive she used to make this Chinese sticky rice with shrimp, black mushrooms and BBQ pork. She and my sister would each have a drumstick, but my sister lives in Maui now.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are heading out of the cold and into the warm and will be served rather than serving.
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.46.45 AM.png

for 27 bucks? WOW. I need to move to the States. Our TG dinner (out) was twice that price.

Enjoy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Everything sounds so good! This year was my final for (eating) Turkey. While I love it...it no longer loves me.

Gobble gobble folks!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always look forward to hearing what your DH is baking/cooking for the holiday, Missy! Love seeing the pictures too! So funny, I've either been here too long, or he's a really great cook! Probably both, lol!

Aww thank you Loves Vintage! I will say he is a great cook and baker and while I am biased I think am being fair in my assessment of his skills. :halo:
Haha and we have probably both been here too long but I initially came for the bling and stayed for the wonderful people here you included! (((Hugs))).

Just for you I took some more pics...cheesecake and apple pie are finished. I am so tempted to try some right this minute...

cheesecake.jpg

and apple pie process

grannysmithapplesreadytogointopie.jpg

applepieingredients.jpg

applepieinprogress.jpg
and voilà apple pie
applepiethanksgiving2017.jpg
While I am sharing more pics here is a progress pic of the ingredients (celery, pepper, onions, seasoning and spices) of the stuffing being cooked before it went into the big stuffing pan with the cornbread to be baked tomorrow.
stuffingingredients.jpg

and some delicious freshly grilled corn on the cob right off the BBQ to be added fresh green beans for grilled corn and roasted green beans.

grilledcorn.jpg

And that's all for today folks...to be continued tomorrow.:lickout:

Oh and what I love most about Thanksgiving...the leftovers.:cheeky:

Hope others will share some food photos too. :appl:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a bigger kitchen! There is not an inch of counter space visible...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results