shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you saving for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I am saving up for some landscaping in our backyard. Nothing fancy, but since we bought the house with absolutely nothing but grass in the back, it really needs some stuff to spice it up. We got a couple of estimates already, but have decided to just buy the stuff ourselves and have our gardener plant them for us.

We won''t do it until April or May.

What else? I would love to get a pair of simple sapphire earrings, about 5 mm or so each to wear with the WF jackets.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 12:58:15 PM
Author: Independent Gal
MC Oops! I meant 0.7 ct, not 7 ct. Yeah, as if THAT will ever happen!
20.gif

The thing about a good hand knotted Persian is that it will last AT LEAST a hundred years and never lose value (unless you overpay to begin with!). In fact, a well kept old rug is more valuable, if it was a good one to begin with. We have one that FI''s ancestor bought in the 1880''s. It''s starting to look its age... but just starting!

The thing to look for is hand KNOTTED, not hand tufted. And the smaller the knots (i.e., the higher the number of knots per sq inch) the finer the rug. Vegetable dyes are also a desirable characteristic.

Oh yeah, and rugman guarantees that no child''s hands touched their rugs, except maybe to say ''Wow mommy! That''s pretty!''
Perfect! Thanks for the information. I''m going to take my time looking around (while I save up the funds) and would LOVE to find a quality rug that I can pass down. My MIL just gave us a cherry wood solid dinner table so I''m thinking of getting a pattern with sage color to coordinate.

Oh, and funny about the studs. I thought you were kidding. . .lol 7 ct. studs sound kind of scary to me!
3.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
No new bling on the horizon for a while... I''ve got all I "need" for now (sacrilege, I KNOW). We''re saving for:

1) custom cabinetry in the living room
2) new living room furniture!!!
3) a flat screen for the den
4) sectional for the den
5) new kitchen flooring... I hate the lino tiles! I want CORK!
6) new car for DH
7) trip to Europe that doesn''t require either of us to sleep on the floor of his brother''s Paris flat

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
FI wants to go back to Hong Kong mid year so we are saving up for that. The thing is that FI wants to buy a Panerai watch when we get there! I have no idea how much they cost but I know they aren''t cheap!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
We're saving for the following:
-Our wedding
-New kitchen for our house (currently it's straight out of a 70's sitcom- so ugly)
-New siding for the rental property (we just finally finished renovating the last of the three units, so now we want to make the outside look pretty)
-Nice dining room furniture

Sorry it's all non-blingy. My engagement ring and wedding band have to satisfy my bling needs for the next few years.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Long term:
-retirement
-house

Short term:
-studs
-something vintage or faycullen inspired
-a tsavorite or chrome tourmaline
(probably not for a while on these)

-trip to Alaska (summer 08)
-trip to Europe (summer 09)

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized how incredibly in debt I am due to school loans. Ugh. So I''m saving for that. Gross. I''d so much rather save for bling....
39.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
1- Wedding dress...I am in love with a 4400 pronovias cardona dress
2- Christian Louboutin wedding shoes. Except the ones I like are of course sold out.
3- Diamond studs with pave'' borders
4- My fiance''s Jeff Cooper three stone radiant wedding band
And in the future a 3ct plus Cushion cut diamond.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Not counting the necessaries (retirement, college for the kids, home maintenance, etc), right now I just have a couple things I''m saving for:

1) a Cartier trinity ring
2) an eternity band

I was also saving for a table and mirror for the front hall, but I just got a surprise check in the mail (finally paid for some freelance writing I did ages ago), so I can go out and get those. Yay!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, ladies, ladies. Where are all the pictures?

Well, after debating with my husband, the iPhone is a no-go. You have to pay $20 a month on top of your phone bill for data, visual messages, etc. So I'm going to order the iPod Touch instead. It has everything I want, minus the phone feature, but I've got one of those.

I can't wait! Anyone have a Touch?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 10:56:06 PM
Author: EBree

Well, after debating with my husband, the iPhone is a no-go. You have to pay $20 a month on top of your phone bill for data, visual messages, etc. So I''m going to order the iPod Touch instead. It has everything I want, minus the phone feature, but I''ve got one of those.

I can''t wait! Anyone have a Touch?

What about the LG Shine? It''s a beautiful phone.

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
We''re saving for a house and to pay off some of our debt..

After that I''d like to save for a 2 week trip to Europe, to see France, Italy, and my husband has never been to England so maybe there too...but if we can''t afford that than maybe a trip to St. Thomas in the Caribbean. My aunt is nice enough to let us use her condo while we''re there so all we''d have to save for are plane tickets and spending money.. we still have to decide what we want to do.. (i''m thinking it''ll be St. Thomas due to our current financial situation
31.gif

After the trip my goal is to save for a huge rock.. maybe a three stone Ascher or Princess..
36.gif
.. im obsessed with bling..
18.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Ebree, what a fun topic!

Considering the things at the top of the list, I''m not sure how much time I''ll be spending posting in SMTR this upcoming year, LOL. I haven''t been saving per se, but there are a lot of items which are sure to be pricey so I''ve just kind of been naturally less attracted to shopping recently. On the list:

-- Throwing a great wedding

-- I *love* to travel but haven''t in a while, so my wanderlust is definitely playing with honeymoon ideas. Ideally, we''d like to go to honeymoon both in Paris and in the Maldives. My fiance has never been to the french countryside or cote d''azur, so it''s a question of saving both time and money to do all three; he doesn''t really get the allure of the Maldives so it''ll take some doing on my part, but at least their currency is pegged to the US Dollar! That''s some savings right there, right?
28.gif
LOL

-- Updating some furniture; start crawling auctions for some art for the walls of our new place, etc.

(Okay, so there will be a wedding ring in the next year, and perhaps some wedding gift bling too. Maybe it''s okay if I still play on PS, yes? But with everything else capturing my fancy, it''s not an obsess-over-next-piece-of-jewelry sort of period!)

f-d-l

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Not saving, as such, but definitely being prudent enough to move from our Soho apartment to a Brooklyn townhouse within the next eighteen months. The idea of having space gets me all giddy
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re saving for:

Wedding expenses and our honeymoon

A house (hopefully we''ll buy one in the next 2 years)

Kids (can you really save for kids???)

my FI''s wedding band

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
We''re saving for (in this order):

A house
A trip to Israel to see 2 cousins'' weddings
Emergency fund

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I am personally saving for some green amethyst and diamond jewelry I would like to wear for my wedding jewelry...FI obviously didn''t take the hint on my Christmas "Wish List" that included the link, a 20% off coupon AND a free shipping code I left him, so I will get them on my own, I do believe!
31.gif

We are also paying for all of the wedding/dinner reception/honeymoon ourselves, as well as begin planning a reception for when we return home in August...the planning of all these events may kill me along with how much it''s all going to cost! Aaaghhh!
14.gif

(And now I am secretly coveting all the gorgeous stones in the colored stone thread, so a new project just might be in the works for me!!! Woot woot!)
36.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
We''re saving for a lot of things! We need a new mattress and box springs and are intrigued by the Sleep Number beds. Hubby needs a new car in the next few years, we need new carpeting and flooring, and I''m adding to my china and crystal. We''re hosting Christmas next year and I want a really nice tree that will last about 15 years. I''d also like to add to my blown glass ornaments. Oh, and lets not forget retirement and education for the kids.....

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock

Well, after debating with my husband, the iPhone is a no-go. You have to pay $20 a month on top of your phone bill for data, visual messages, etc. So I''m going to order the iPod Touch instead. It has everything I want, minus the phone feature, but I''ve got one of those.

Me! Me! I do! For the same reasons you are getting one. I love it! It is very fun, I have movies and pictures on there which I love. You will not be dissapointed!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 8:59:28 AM
Author: Miscka

Me! Me! I do! For the same reasons you are getting one. I love it! It is very fun, I have movies and pictures on there which I love. You will not be dissapointed!

It''s coming tomorrow! Eek! I''m so excited.

Anyone else? WITH PICTURES?
11.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
What we''re saving for:

Non-jewellery related
House with backyard so we can buy a dog
Spending money for when we return to Singapore next month

What I''m saving for:

Jewellery-related
Thin sapphire eternity band to stack with my micro pave OEC e-ring. Anyone know where I can find a cheap one?
3.gif

A .5-1ct cushion sapphire RHR
.5ctw leverback earrings
.5ct bezel pendant

Non-jewellery related
A big-screen tv for DH for Christmas

snlee

Ideal_Rock
One thing: a house.

I hate the high cost of living here!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
A lot of these are savings I'm doing with Kris (my bf), but here we go...

Short Term (next few months):

Surprise trip for Kris' 30th birthday (I'm so excited for this one!)
Moving expenses
Some new furniture pieces after we move

Longer Term (next 1-5 years):

Watch for him when we get engaged
Wedding stuff (although I can't even THINK about that one yet...got to get through the engagement stuff first)
Down payment on a house
New(ish) and larger car--I love my corolla, but it'd be nice to have something a little newer and bigger.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we're saving for RETIREMENT.

though nowadays who knows, we might be 75 before we can afford to retire, boo hoo.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 6:26:49 PM
Author: snlee
One thing: a house.

I hate the high cost of living here!

I feel you on that one! We''re planning a move out of SoCal because we can''t imagine how else we will ever get out of living in apartments/condos!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 8:22:00 AM
Author: lumpkin
We''re saving for a lot of things! We need a new mattress and box springs and are intrigued by the Sleep Number beds. Hubby needs a new car in the next few years, we need new carpeting and flooring, and I''m adding to my china and crystal. We''re hosting Christmas next year and I want a really nice tree that will last about 15 years. I''d also like to add to my blown glass ornaments. Oh, and lets not forget retirement and education for the kids.....
lumpkin - just want to say that we replaced our very worn out mattress and box springs about 2 months ago with a Sleep Number bed. We love it. Best part is that I''m not being woken up several times a night whenever hubby turns over. That was getting really old...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread. ...

You've opened up a can of worms, LOL! There are so many things we'd like (I know that's not exactly what you asked, he he!!)

We're saving for (well, that's not all technically entirely correct - we're investing our money hopefully wisely and working our b**tts off, so hopefully all of these and more will come true):

1) a >3,000sq ft penthouse in Melbourne, Australia by the Yarra river for our retirement

2) an apartment in Sentosa, Singapore and/ or or another fab apt in another location in S'pore, for investment purposes/ and hopefully our weekend use

3) more money for our retirement so we can retire in style, and hopefully in about 10-15 years
1.gif

4) a 5-6ct Tiffany Lucida or a HW emerald cut (well, we have some money set aside for it already, just waiting for the right deal - translating into secondhand - to come along)

5) bigger studs (4-5tcwt), not sure what shape, but probably one of these: OEC's, emerald, antique cushion

6) another $50k or so to spend on landscaping our garden, new fence and nice new paintings ( strictly not necessary, but it'd be nice)

7) another watch (not sure which one yet), but something more glamourous and blingy!!
1.gif
2.gif

8) an entirely new wardrobe for hubby, if he ever lets me, LOL!! (poor thing refuses to spend money on himself!)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am saving frantically for a MacBook Air! I want one sooooooo bad! I plan to buy it as soon as it comes out in a week or two and I can''t wait! Here''s a picture of it in its sexy, sleek glory:

wireless_hero20080115.jpg

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
What a fun thread!

Ok...first our "serious" savings....

1) replenish savings account
2) 529 College savings for kids
3) refinish basement into smokin'' den with nice closet for laundry/washer/dryer (new appliances too!)

then...the extras:

for DH & I...
1)we are saving for a new SUV. We want a Chevy Tahoe (seats 8) but we don''t want a car payment (don''t have any now) so we save.
2)Sectional for living room (move current leather sofas...still nice..into refinished)
3)Flat panel TVs (26" & 32") for master bedroom & basement den respectively.

For me:
1) earring jackets for my princess studs
2) rb diamond pendant
3) bangle bracelet a la White flash

And my "fun" thing I''m doing right now...I''m trying to lose that last baby weight & having a hard time staying motivated, so every week when I go to WW & lose weight, I put $25 in my personal savings account. The second half of that is that I am NOT allowed to buy myself one stitch of clothing until I hit goal. Not one shoe, sock, handbag (yes those are clothing too! I have to MOTIVATE myself) etc. It should take me about 16 weeks..so I''ll have a nice little "prize" to reward myself with at the end.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well, the water damage in our m.bath is putting a dent in our savings.
8.gif

In order of when they''re due:
1) vacation this summer to celebrate and relax after DH finishes his book. (I''m thinking we should head north to Canada or an Alaskan cruise).

2) rebuilding outside stairs to house.

3) New floors for the bedrooms and tv room. I''m so tired of carpet, I want cork! It takes me 40 min a bedroom to get the fur out of the carpet and even then it''s slowly turning dog colored.

4) Hot tub!

5)Trip to Japan to celebrate my finally getting a diploma! (can''t decide if this should be after my BS or my masters partly because I can''t decide if I should get a masters.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results