shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you reading now?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I just finished Larsson's three books and then started The Red Queen today. My problem is that when I start a book, I don't accomplish anything else until I finish it. Thus books don't last me more than a couple of days. I've had to ration the number I read so I occasionally get the house cleaned and the laundry done. :read:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable said:
I just finished Larsson's three books and then started The Red Queen today. My problem is that when I start a book, I don't accomplish anything else until I finish it. Thus books don't last me more than a couple of days. I've had to ration the number I read so I occasionally get the house cleaned and the laundry done. :read:

Yeah me too. It's worse when I get into a really good series - I'm useless until I finish it. Let me know what you think of The Red Queen. I read it when it came out and thought it was interesting, but not as good as The White Queen.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
B.E.G. said:
Lady_Disdain said:
I just finished rereading "The Four Queens", a non fiction account of the Provençal sisters: Marguarite, Queen of France (married to Louis IX); Eleanor, Queen of England (married to Henry III); Cynthia/Sanchia, Queen of the Romans (married to Earl Richard of Cornwall, the richest man in Europe) and Beatrice, Queen of Sicily (and Countess of Provence in her own right).

So, today, I picked up Ripley's Game to read.

I am trying to find The Moonstone, too. I hate translations, the bookstores here don't carry it in English and I reading on the computer gives me a headache.

How did you like The Four Queens? I've picked up and put down that book several times at the bookstore.

I really enjoyed it. The author doesn't idealize her subject too much like some authors (yes, Princess Michael of Kent, I am looking at you!). The book reads pretty well and doesn't get bogged down with all the parallel situations, which could easily have happened. The characters are fascinating.

A little background on European politics and customs of the XIIIth century helps, but is far from essential (the author gives all the necessary information, but some people are mentioned in passing that are very relevant to the period as a whole). If you are anything like me, you will have a list of interesting people and historical incidents to look up while reading.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
B.E.G. said:
Lady_Disdain said:
I just finished rereading "The Four Queens", a non fiction account of the Provençal sisters: Marguarite, Queen of France (married to Louis IX); Eleanor, Queen of England (married to Henry III); Cynthia/Sanchia, Queen of the Romans (married to Earl Richard of Cornwall, the richest man in Europe) and Beatrice, Queen of Sicily (and Countess of Provence in her own right).

So, today, I picked up Ripley's Game to read.

I am trying to find The Moonstone, too. I hate translations, the bookstores here don't carry it in English and I reading on the computer gives me a headache.

How did you like The Four Queens? I've picked up and put down that book several times at the bookstore.

I really enjoyed it. The author doesn't idealize her subject too much like some authors (yes, Princess Michael of Kent, I am looking at you!). The book reads pretty well and doesn't get bogged down with all the parallel situations, which could easily have happened. The characters are fascinating.

A little background on European politics and customs of the XIIIth century helps, but is far from essential (the author gives all the necessary information, but some people are mentioned in passing that are very relevant to the period as a whole).

Good to know - thanks! Is it historical fiction (i.e. with a plot) or more in the form of a history/biography?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
B.E.G. said:
Good to know - thanks! Is it historical fiction (i.e. with a plot) or more in the form of a history/biography?

Its is biography, not fiction, but aimed at the lay reader (so there aren't 4 footnotes per page, but period sources are quoted and there are bibliographical notes and sources at the back). Don't expect dialogue and fiction-like plot.

April20

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
This is an author whom I'd recommend wholeheartedly for those who don't really have a "genre" that they stick to:

David Sedaris

He is an openly gay radio personality that writes short, hysterical stories about everyday life, and a lot are true stories from his childhood. I own all of his books, and I re-read them repeatedly, and find them hysterical each and every time!

I love David Sedaris. I listened to the audio version of Me Talk Pretty One Day a few years back- he read it. It was a kick!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
April20 said:
jaysonsmom said:
This is an author whom I'd recommend wholeheartedly for those who don't really have a "genre" that they stick to:

David Sedaris

He is an openly gay radio personality that writes short, hysterical stories about everyday life, and a lot are true stories from his childhood. I own all of his books, and I re-read them repeatedly, and find them hysterical each and every time!

I love David Sedaris. I listened to the audio version of Me Talk Pretty One Day a few years back- he read it. It was a kick!

That is by far the funniest book of his. I had to buy a second copy because the first fell apart after I read it too many times.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished "Heart of the Matter" last night. It's by Emily Giffin. I quite liked it. I like all her books.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
BEG, I didn't particularly like "Tale of Two Cities" either. It was easy to read, but meh.

I've never heard of any of the books in this thread! I feel out of the loop.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I began Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer not too long ago. The Help was fantastic and Beachcombers is pretty good so far. I tend to stick to realistic fiction (books about families or couples) and a lot of what I read is probably classified as chick lit. I need to branch out but I can't get into other genres.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm reading #1 Ladies Detective Agency with my book club... we have two african women in the club and they're going to make african food for us for our next meeting! Super excited!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe said:
I recently finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I began Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer not too long ago. The Help was fantastic and Beachcombers is pretty good so far. I tend to stick to realistic fiction (books about families or couples) and a lot of what I read is probably classified as chick lit. I need to branch out but I can't get into other genres.
We are reading The Help in February and I'm really looking forward to it, but boy I am not a fan of this genre in general. I guess I find it boring to read about other people's lives. I need elves or walking trees or a mystery to solve! I'm hoping what is touted as a mysterious vein in The Help keeps me intrigued!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (for I think the 8th time?)...

And I'm about to start alternating that with Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. I recommend her for ladies who like chick lit with a little more heart and a little more depth.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lee Child, Killing Floor. Got it based on recommendations from here.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
A tree grows in Brooklyn. Also based on PS recommendations, although apparently every one in the world read this growing up.

I like it so far and something tells me its a tear-jerker. I love sad books/movies. I'm weird like that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Lee Child, Killing Floor. Got it based on recommendations from here.

I really wish I hadn't read all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books already. The same is true about all of Nelson DeMille's books, but especially the ones featuring John Corey, because he makes me laugh as does Brian Haig's Sean Drummond (alas, also all read).

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen said:
I didn't particularly like "Tale of Two Cities" either. It was easy to read, but meh.

I remember finding it absolutely thrilling and wonderful, but then I read it in high school. One tends to be impressionable then!

Deb/AGBF

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bunny007 said:
A tree grows in Brooklyn. Also based on PS recommendations, although apparently every one in the world read this growing up.

I like it so far and something tells me its a tear-jerker. I love sad books/movies. I'm weird like that.

I just got this book about a year ago or so and I still haven't read it. I know it's supposed to be a great book and I'll eventually get to it. So you're not the only one who hasn't read it yet!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, do you not like to read books over?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am reading the last book in th Steig Larsson trilogy.

Next up in the Hunger Games Trilogy, need to reads books 2 and 3.

I like series, can you tell? 8)

DD, I'm addicted to the Hunger Games trilogy! I just got Mockingjay (the 3rd one) last week but I haven't had a chance to sit down and devour it the way I'd like to! I actually stayed up till midnight last night reading it, which is late for me!! I'm going to be sad to finish it since it's the last one but they are making a movie of Hunger Games so I assume the other 2 books will also be adapted. Even though the movies are never as good as the books, it's something to look forward to! =)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
Elrohwen said:
I didn't particularly like "Tale of Two Cities" either. It was easy to read, but meh.

I remember finding it absolutely thrilling and wonderful, but then I read it in high school. One tends to be impressionable then!

Deb/AGBF

Deb, I think it's possibly the best high school read for a Dickens' book. I couldn't believe that we read "Great Expectations" - I thought it was way too long and wordy to keep the attention of any high school kid (I hated it then, love it now). Now that I've read most of Dickens' books, I like many of his others better than ToTC, but I think that's because I'm reading them as an adult. I absolutely preferred ToTC as a teen.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen said:
AGBF said:
Elrohwen said:

Deb/AGBF

Deb, I think it's possibly the best high school read for a Dickens' book. I couldn't believe that we read "Great Expectations" - I thought it was way too long and wordy to keep the attention of any high school kid (I hated it then, love it now). Now that I've read most of Dickens' books, I like many of his others better than ToTC, but I think that's because I'm reading them as an adult. I absolutely preferred ToTC as a teen.

Ok, confession time. I can't read Dickens. I can't get past the first 10 pages... I am so ashamed... I thought I would enjoy when I was older, but perhaps my mental age isn't quite there yet?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
"My Life in France" by Julia Child which i'm finding interesting especially for its
1-France v. US perspectives of what is important in life [and politics, in a way]
2-how the definitely not poor but not uber rich lived
3-the condition of France after WWII and the Cold War
and
4-the relationship Julia and Paul created and shared.

MoZo

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Lady Disdain, Dickens' is so not for everyone! Just the way Sci Fi books aren't for everyone, or mysteries. There are plenty of genres I don't like (I cannot make myself like any of the Russian authors) and Dickens is just one I happen to love. Don't feel bad! Reading Dickens' has nothing to do with being smart or of a certain age - it's just about whether you like the way he writes or not, in my opinion. I personally love the way he writes and his characters, but if you don't like his style then you'll never get through his books. I also think you have to read enough of his books to learn his style to the point where it's easier to read - then it's more fun. The first few books require some slogging through.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
Elrohwen said:
AGBF said:
Elrohwen said:

Deb/AGBF

Ok, confession time. I can't read Dickens. I can't get past the first 10 pages... I am so ashamed... I thought I would enjoy when I was older, but perhaps my mental age isn't quite there yet?

Same here. I don't think I enjoyed Tale of Two Cities in high school either. Or, for that matter, Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. I reread the latter in college and hated every minute. I guess I'm not much for classics (at least not when first read in high school!)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Blech, I hated The Scarley Letter and I'm a huge classics reader. I just couldn't understand why she would throw herself under the bus for a guy who knocked her up!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So between the time I started this thread and now, I started and finished N.K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (first book, and only one published thus far, of The Inheritance Trilogy). I thought was an interesting fantasy novel (for those of you guys who like the genre) but not incredible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Deb, do you not like to read books over?

Some I do and some I have had to if I used them for teaching! I recently reread Catcher in the Rye of my own volition and To Kill A Mockingbird for teaching purposes. Then there are the books I reread because I forgot that I already read them...but we won't go there in this thread; we can save that matter for the elderly adults thread.

Deb

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom said:

David Sedaris

I LOVE David Sedaris. I'm reading When You are Engulfed in Flames right now and I'm going to a reading in October for my birthday. He's amazing live.

ETA: Me Talk Pretty One Day is my favorite too, I got that one signed at the last reading I went to. Highlight of my life I swear.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Bunny007 said:

After you finish that, I highly recommend "Joy in the Morning" by the same author.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results