shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
What music are you loving right now? In other forums I've participated in, I and others have found some cool new music this way.

I recently heard a beautiful song, "Samson" by Regina Spektor. The music is haunting, and I felt a few tears welling up toward the end. She isn't for everyone, but if you like Fiona Apple and Tori Amos, you should give her a listen (if you haven't already!). Here's a link to the music video on YouTube:

Samson, by Regina Spektor

I'm also really liking Ray LaMontagne. He's been out for a while, but I just recently discovered him about a month ago.

...your turn!
10.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
At the moment, I can''t get enough of the tropical sounds of an old Senegalese group called ''Orchestre Baobob''. There are two cd''s of their tunes, and one is called ''Pirate''s Choice'' (haha!). So... chilled... out.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been listening to "The Crane Wife" by The Decemberists. Singer/Songwriter Colin Meloy is a great musical talent with a degree in creative writing. The band utilizes instruments such as a Hammond organ, Wurlitzer organ, and Upright Bass. The style has been described as "Indie Rock," and "Baroque Pop." Each song tells a story, with subjects as diverse as The Civil War to classic stories of love, loss and betrayal. Wikepedia describes the music as "upbeat pop and instrumentally lush ballads." We saw this band at an open air venue in Atlanta and it was some show. Colin Meloy''s girlfriend (an artist from Portland) does the artwork for the album covers, which is also amazing......

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Editors
The Rakes
Postal Service
Spinto Band
Leiahdorous

Most of this is alternative music; good thread!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a bit of everything, but I love Foo Fighters right now, along with some other current rock bands. But I like so many other things too!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm a country music fanatic, so currently I'm listening to Gary Allan's "Livin' Hard". It was released Tues, so of course, I had to go that day to buy it. (He's my heartthrob!!) Also, in the line up are the classics, Waylon, Willie, George, and Garth, Patsy Cline. Then my contemporaries Miranda Lambert, Joe Nichols. And, pretty heavily in rotation is "Oh My Nola" by Harry Connick, Jr. Also, some really old stuff like "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Oh, Johnny", and "Accentuate the Positive".

We listen to so much music that my little boy (20 months) will correct my mom if she's clapping off beat!
21.gif

ETA- HERE'S Gary Allan's newest release. And HERE'S a fan's photo video with one of my new favorite's "Like it's a Bad Thing." Please click on these and see how dreamy he is!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 10:44:27 PM
Author: Skippy123
The Editors

The Rakes

Postal Service

Spinto Band

Leiahdorous

Most of this is alternative music; good thread!

Never heard of any of these!! Of course I''m not good with names. I called Third Eye Blind Three Blind Mice for the longest time!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mostly I''ve been listening to The Pixies. There''s so many bands I love, but often times I get in the habit of listening to talk radio instead.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I love Jessica Riddle and a band called Plumb. Otherwise....Staind, Theory of a Dead Man, Kelly Clarkson....

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
lately i can't get enough:
limbeck
the format
alkaline trio (circa 1998-2001)
jonah matranga
matt skiba/kevin seconds
red house painters
jars of clay (circa 1996-2000)
new amsterdams
the descendants

these discs have been on repeat rotation in my car since probably january. maybe it's time i find some new stuff too....

don williams and the judds have also made an appearance or two (maybe somethingshiny can appreciate those!).....just can't forget my roots!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I pretty much only listen to the smiths and brand new.

I know....I''m pretty emo.

imsoemoticon.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm very eclectic...

Favorite new (to me) bands/artists:
A Fine Frenzy
Ben's Brother (can't get that darn gum song outta my head!)
Ingrid Michaelson
Rosie Thomas (kinda in-between "new" and "old")

Old favorites:
Brooke Fraser (can never get enough of her... she's my songwriter soul mate)
Gabriel Mann
Annie Stela
The Postal Service
Sara Bareilles
Frou Frou + Imogen Heap (still think of them as a unit, no matter how I try!)
Halloween, Alaska
Muse
Nikka Costa
Dana Glover

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Inrgid Michaelson, the soundtrack from Across the Universe, Eli Young Band, Regina Spektor, Josh Turner... a ton of oldies, country, and light rock!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2007 6:00:07 PM
Author:EBree
What music are you loving right now? In other forums I''ve participated in, I and others have found some cool new music this way.

I recently heard a beautiful song, ''Samson'' by Regina Spektor. The music is haunting, and I felt a few tears welling up toward the end. She isn''t for everyone, but if you like Fiona Apple and Tori Amos, you should give her a listen (if you haven''t already!). Here''s a link to the music video on YouTube:

Samson, by Regina Spektor

I''m also really liking Ray LaMontagne. He''s been out for a while, but I just recently discovered him about a month ago.

...your turn!
10.gif

I looooooooooooooooove that song (Samson) actually I love all of her songs :) Fidelity is another fave :)

very partial to anything my MIKA as well

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
I love threads like this! So many different genre''s of music, and I love checking out recommendations as well!

Here are my right-now favs:

Sara Bareilles (she has some tunes on myspace if you search for her)
Laura Izibor!! (some of her stuff is on itunes and again, a few of her songs are on myspace)
Ingrid Michaelson (I love the song "The Way I Am" even before Old Navy used it)
I let my Best girlfriend "borrow"if for their first dance!
2.gif

Bitter:sweet = very much loungy/funky girl music..."The Mating Game" was featured on Grey''s last year - thats what hooked me to buying the cd, love it! (CD is Dirty Laundry)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:20:36 PM
Author: Evelynn

Hooray for Sara getting out in the real world!!!! I've been waiting to see her pop up on these types of threads. You know, besides my own posts
3.gif
haha... though I've been hoping to turn some people on to her that way.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you hear about her?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:59:09 PM
Author: musey

Date: 10/30/2007 1:20:36 PM

Hooray for Sara getting out in the real world!!!! I've been waiting to see her pop up on these types of threads. You know, besides my own posts
3.gif
haha... though I've been hoping to turn some people on to her that way.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you hear about her?
I have heard her on the radio; they play her none stop in my town. hehee I like Muse to Starlight and Super Massive Black Hole (I think is the song).

MC, I like the Pixies too; I have a couple of their songs on my ipod. Lucky, I also like the Smiths! Give me anything 80's. Heck I like almost everything but I am starting to like lots of alternative bands from the UK.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
(No Sarcasm)

I rushed out yesterday and bought Britney's new album and I LOVE
30.gif
the song 'Piece of me'.

31.gif
Never mind all that, I know what you are thinking. I will stand up and be counted, my logon is Steel and I
30.gif
this new song.

ps. cute topic

emnote.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, seriously?!?!! Yaaaaay!

She was a friend in college a cappella with us, and my bf and I were in her original fan/friend group 5 or 6 years ago. I didn''t know she''s made it onto the radio, but I guess I never listen to the radio, so I wouldn''t know!!

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I''m just so surprised/excited to see her extending so far. This is the first time I''ve heard of anyone outside our little group having heard her.
Yay!
36.gif

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
I heard one of her songs on Sirius a time ago, just caught her last name...ran to Borders and found her CD.

She is really great!!

She sees to be such a sweet down-to-earth girl, and is really deserving of everything she has earned thus far!

I''ve managed to find a few acoustic/piano songs of hers as well....

:) Horray for her!!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 3:09:56 PM

She was a friend in college a cappella with us, and my bf and I were in her original fan/friend group 5 or 6 years ago. I didn''t know she''s made it onto the radio, but I guess I never listen to the radio, so I wouldn''t know!!

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I''m just so surprised/excited to see her extending so far. This is the first time I''ve heard of anyone outside our little group having heard her.
Yay!
36.gif
You are one lucky girl!!! Do you still keep in touch?

I am very jealous! If she ever makes a stop in the Twin Cities I will surely support her - she has done well, and is well on her way to making a name for herself!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 3:13:30 PM

She seems to be such a sweet down-to-earth girl, and is really deserving of everything she has earned thus far!
She 100% is. I don't know anyone who deserves success more. Funny thing is, she is completely self-taught... never took piano lessons and doesn't even read music. You'd never guess (well, I wouldn't, anyway).

It's sort of a product of going to school in LA... much higher percentage of people on the famous-track
3.gif
I have three other singer-songwriters I'm waiting to see take off...

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Antigone Rising
Rie Sinclair
David Gray
Mikah
Coldplay
Joss Stone
Snow Patrol
Damien Rice

9.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone likes rock music you should check out Theory of a Deadman (kinda like Stained and 3 Doors Down) I love them too!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 3:09:56 PM

Yay!
36.gif
Yip, "Love Song" is always on the radio and also the theme song to "Men in Trees" (tv show on ABC).

E B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''d forgotten about this thread!

Does anyone like folk/acoustic music? I do. And right now, I''m loving Deb Talan/The Weepies.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 6:05:10 PM
Author: EBree
Wow, I''d forgotten about this thread!

Does anyone like folk/acoustic music? I do. And right now, I''m loving Deb Talan/The Weepies.

I do, I do!! I''m horrible at listening to CDs though -- I usually listen to the radio. I really like Deb Talen. Have you heard of or listened to Mark Erelli and/or Lori McKenna? She wrote (and performs) Faith Hill''s song, "Fireflies," which is great. My FI and I went to a little vegetarian restaurant and club in Cambridge, MA (near Harvard) to hear her last winter and she was awesome!

http://www.markerelli.com/index.php?page=home
http://www.lorimckenna.com/

Let''s see...who else?? Well, definitely not new, but I could listen to Natalie Merchant and Sarah McLachlan all day (esp. Sarah). A band named The Perishers opened up for her and they were great!

What other folk music do you like? I''d love to check out someone new. I love acoustic too! Have you heard of Tim Janis? He''s not folk but his music is great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results