shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you getting your FI for a wedding gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,

I thought it would be interesting to see what you gals are planning to get your FI as a wedding gift? My FI bought me a beautiful pearl set for the wedding at christmas, so now I want to get him something nice. I have bought him cufflinks in the past but he looses them.... I also got him an Omega watch for our engagement. I know he really wants a casual style Tag Huer watch but I don''t know if there is a point if he can''t wear it on the actual wedding... or maybe that doesn''t matter? Anyway - what are you ladies buying, if anything?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Well, I won''t be any help to you at all, because I''m not buying FI anything. Haha. I actually hadn''t even heard of the tradition until we got engaged and since we''re paying for most of this thing ourselves, our gift to each other is the honeymoon. The wedding is stuff we "have" to pay for (you''ve gotta have food, you need music, etc), but a nice honeymoon to Europe is something we don''t need, but we want to give to each other.

I do think giving gifts is very sweet and sentimental, unfortunately we can''t really afford to spend that much on things like that right now.

And to answer your question, I don''t think there''s anything wrong with getting him a Tag even if he can''t wear it during the wedding. I think watches make excellent engagement/wedding presents and if it''s something he''ll really use and keep forever, go for it!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the same boat as elrohwen. FI and I are paying for most of the wedding ourselves, so the honeymoon is basically our gift. However, his birthday is in April, he finishes grad school in May, and our wedding is in June, so I feel like I should get him something really good. I wanted to buy him a nice watch (he''s always wanted a Tiffany or Cartier), but when I asked him the other day he said he would rather have a new HDTV.
20.gif
2.gif
Boys. I''m not thrilled about buying him a TV, so I don''t know what I''m going to do...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I am getting my fi a d20 dice (that''s dungeons and dragons, we are both pretty nerdy)
anyways i''m getting him a dice i found that is made from either a meotorite rock or from the tusk of a fossil of a mammoth. either way it will be a pretty pricey present but i''m really excited to give it to him and i know he''ll love it. this fi gift has been best man approved. lol

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''m already married, but I bought DH something when we got married, so I''m going to chime in. He didn''t have a watch that he wore regularly and is super picky about them. He doesn''t like anything bulky. I bought him a beautiful, rectangular face Baume & Mercier watch. He loves it. I ordered it online and he didn''t get it until after the wedding, so he obviusly didn''t have it to wear during our wedding. I wish I had been on the ball sooner and he would have had it for the occasion. Up until I bought him the watch, he used his cell phone to tell the time and did that the day of our wedding as well. Crazy boy.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m planning on giving FI an album of boudoir (tastefully done "naughty" pictures) pictures for our wedding. I''m in the best shape I''ve ever been in and I want to have proof!!! It''s also a gift for me in a way because it celebrates my hard work and gives me something to focus on after I have babies;-) I''m using a female photographer who does these pictures a lot and she comes highly recommended by several friends. You can be as covered or uncovered as you''re comfortable with, and the sessions are in her private studio. She provides a CD with high-res images and I own the copyright to all of the photos. So there''s no chance of them getting loose anywhere, not that anyone would care about pics of little old me.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you started this topic, I need some ideas on what to get my fiance too!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting my fiance a watch, the Tag Monaco, he doesn''t wear a watch now though, so I don''t know if it''s a good idea. I figure he''ll at least keep it for a long time and it seems like the *right* kind of present for a wedding gift.

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
We exchanged gifts for our wedding, but we came to an approximate price range first! I got him a book that he had been in awe of on American period furniture (he is a cabinet maker and I guess this is kind of like a Bible, haha). My sister got her hubby an autographed hockey jersey for their wedding. I don''t think it something you need to do, though. I also agree that the watch is a great idea and very appropriate!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Right around the time I met my FI (almost 10 years ago), his g-pop decided to give him the majority of his coin collection. So through the years, I''ve gotten him some coins from the Mint... I think it''s the only hobby he hasn''t lost interest in. I decided to get him a Mint set from the year we met (''99) - I found one on e-bay, along with a nice mushy card about all the things we''ve been through together. Then I''ll give him a Mint set from this year (the year we''re marrying), with a mushy card about our future together. I''ve been checking the mint online, and the ''09 sets aren''t out yet... If I had the $$ I''d also get one of those "First Spouse" coins... but they''re $600!
I think I''ll get him a pair of cufflinks (inexpensive... he loses them too, ILTW) to give to him the night before, and give the coins after the reception sometime.
Hudson, that''s awesome! I''d do that too if I weren''t so chicken!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Other than his wedding band, I bought him a set of Tiffany cufflinks, titanium and silver to coordinate with his titanium and platinum wedding band, and Tiffany to give a nod to my wedding band
1.gif
He loves them and has already worn them since.

I've seen a lot of brides (especially over on TheKnot boards) do budoir shoots. I'm thinking of doing it as a first anniversary gift
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m getting D fishing lessons with this famous fisherman. He''s been wanting to get lessons from this guy for ages so I said that can be his wedding pressie.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Other than his wedding band (same as musey), I bought my DH a Rolex as a gift. He REALLY wanted a watch and he loves it. Wears it everyday.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
FI and I are going to exchange letters to each other instead of gifts. We are spending so much money on the wedding to begin with, it was just one thing that we didn''t feel the need to spend more money on. He was the one who actually thought of writing each other letters that we will exchange before the wedding- and I thought it was a fantastic and really romantic idea. Just a thought!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 4:49:53 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29
FI and I are going to exchange letters to each other instead of gifts. We are spending so much money on the wedding to begin with, it was just one thing that we didn''t feel the need to spend more money on. He was the one who actually thought of writing each other letters that we will exchange before the wedding- and I thought it was a fantastic and really romantic idea. Just a thought!
GoingCrazy, I love this idea! We''re in the same boat as you. It''s great to hear a no-cost gift idea that would be really lovely and sentimental. I''ll have to share this with FI and see what he thinks. He''s not much of a touchy-feely writer, so we''ll see what he says
3.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 6:46:51 PM
Author: Smurfysmiles
I am getting my fi a d20 dice (that''s dungeons and dragons, we are both pretty nerdy)
anyways i''m getting him a dice i found that is made from either a meotorite rock or from the tusk of a fossil of a mammoth. either way it will be a pretty pricey present but i''m really excited to give it to him and i know he''ll love it. this fi gift has been best man approved. lol
Where do you find those!

My FF and I are both into that and he would love that (Im thinking valentines day)
If you dont mind me asking

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
We're already married, but DH and I exchanged gifts on wedding day. We had our MOH act as courier between us as we were getting ready. We waited until our photographer was there, so she was able to capture us opening them and our reactions. It worked really well for us. That said, I got DH a Croton tungsten carbide watch to match his wedding band. His only watch was on the casual side. What's great about the tungsten is it gleams and shines in a (manly) way that lends itself as well to a tux as it does to jeans. Plus, he can wear it every day and never worry about it scratching. I got the back (the battery cover is stainless steel) engraved with our initials and wedding date. Doesn't really help with what to get your FI, but DH made me a music box. He ordered a 72-note movement that plays 3 parts of Cannon in D and then built a wood and glass box for it. We also wrote each other notes to go with the gifts. All said, the photographer got some great shots of both of us tearing up.
39.gif
9.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
I got my fiance a Breitling watch. I am so excited to give it to him. He will love it and be so shocked.
To me, his wedding gifts just may be one of the biggest gifts I ever give him! I can''t wait.

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
This was a good question! Reading the answers from everyone made me feel not so bad about what we are doing. Nada. I have gone back and forth about this in my mind. Exchange gifts, don''t exchange gifts... in the end it is coming down to money for us. I would love to get my FI a nice watch, but it will just have to wait for a future anniversary. So I guess I could say that our honeymoon to Cancun will be our present to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results