shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you frugal with?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Basically everything except my gamefishing stuff - that's all top of the line, best I could afford at the time.

My wife is starting to go a little crazy though, she said it's concerning that I have more fishing rods than she has shoes and they're more expensive too :oops:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1422560484|3823994 said:
Apparently not much in looking as the year end summary from my American Express account…

LOL Dee*Jay! You made me almost spit out my Starbucks! :cheeky:

This thread is making me feel like a spendthrift - I guess I'm pretty frugal with clothes, shoes, and purses - I buy stuff on sale and I buy good quality but not necessarily brand names, and I don't buy a lot of one thing - I'll use the same two purses for years, as long as they hold up. And I look for sales while I'm grocery shopping. I buy drug-store makeup. I don't know, I feel like we live pretty simply but for some reason our charge bill doesn't reflect that! :oops: Guess we have to work on that.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaysonsmom, what a good idea for a thread. It's fun to see everyone's responses.

I am sure my DH would say that's not even a word in my vocabulary.

I am cheap when I buy clothes; I always wait for a sale and a coupon.
I only buy linens and towels on sale and with coupons.
When I have to pay extra to add chicken or a salad I won't do it. If the price was higher and included it I wouldn't think a thing about it.
I'm always cold but generally refuse to turn on our gas fireplace because I don't want to have a higher gas and light bill.
I follow my husband around and shut off the lights he leaves on.
My husband and his buddies have occasional poker games. I lost $60 the one and only time I joined them; never again.
I refill water bottles and carry them in to work. I'll buy new bottles about once a month.
I have never had a manicure or pedicure. That seems like a lot of cash for something I can easily do at home.

Now if you asked us what I am willing to spend money on - that would be a longer list. :bigsmile:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Frugal: Food (we cook at eat at home most of the time, and I buy bulk staples at Costco and the Asian mart), clothing (I still have stuff from when I was in high school, and I only get new stuff on sale/thrift generally, unless it is a high quality piece I'll wear for a long time), shoes (I buy them, then wear them out and replace once their are holes or they look too grungy) cars (I'll drive my 1996 Honda into the ground, it has at least another 60-70 thousand miles in it) hair care (I henna my own hair, only get it trimmed as needed about 2-3X a year, don't use super expensive shampoo or conditioner), I do my own nails, house cleaning, don't go out shopping for stuff I generally don't need, we haven't really done vacations, although when we do I 'm hoping to put that in the indulgences category! ;-) Jewelry also falls in to the frugal category, I tend to buy primarily lab grown stones because in general I can't justify the price difference for something that will either way last a lifetime and look beautiful. We also don't buy a lot of tech stuff, our iPhone 4's were free with a 2 year contract, my iPad 2nd gen was $140 at a pawn shop on sale, been using the same desktop built by my hubby for 5 or so years with no plans to change it out. I make my own face wash and body lotion (I like the dream cream from Lush, but at $28 for 8.8 oz, it has proven to be much cheaper to make my own version, plus I can use all organic ingredients).

Indulgences: Starbucks chai tea latte 1-3 X weekly (depending on the week), going to 2 or so movies a month on average, custom made hair toys every once in a while, seeing a few performances a year for music or theater. I buy some of my cosmetics through small independent companies, and some mid-line ones at Ulta (Smashbox, Urban decay, etc.), so I'd consider make up closer to the indulgence over frugal, even though what I buy lasts a long time. I see my massage therapist weekly, though due to the nature of my job, it's more like regular body maintenance than a luxury. Most of our food is organic, so while we cook at home a lot and I scour for good deals, I consider being able to buy organic regularly an indulgence.

Always, I try to aim for quality over quantity. I work hard to get rid of anything that isn't used on a regular basis, or better yet, avoid letting such things into our lives in the first place.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm probably frugal with shoes (I wear ones I like to death) although I will spend a lot on a pair that really like, and then wear them to death.... and undies (I only like cotton everything because everything else irritates my skin). Other than that we are probably not that frugal. I love to shop around and compare prices on major purchases and I love to haggle. People joke I was a born haggler - I negotiate on the price of most major purchases - that is where I save money. Most things (like clothing, shoes, food, petrol, eating out, decent hairdressers) cost outrageous prices here compared to the US. Although, generally, our wages are higher as well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
This seems pretty subjective. A splurge for me may be the frugal option for someone else (or other way around). I try to be mindful but am not always as careful as I should be. I do have a hidden savings account. It is at a different bank so I forget it exists. That's a good way to save money and not risk spending it.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I would say most things, I really hate "wasting" money.

If I need new furniture I hunt around and find a second hand piece 90% of the time. A good second hand piece is usually cheaper than a poorly made new piece and imo gives a bit more character to our home. I would also happily do up or modify a second hand piece to suit.

If I know something regular goes on sale there is no way I'm buying it full price or above the max discount price eg: sheets and towels regularly go on sale at 60% off in many stores.

I only get my hair cut a couple of times a year and do my own brows, nails etc.

We very rarely eat out,home cooked is usually better, healthier and cheaper.

I usually only buy new clothes when my old ones wear out. My tops are organised in my draw by condition, from "can be worn to work" to " can only be worn exercising or at home with no company".

My car is 19 years old this year. I plan to continue to use it until it dies or becomes uneconomical to repair.

I try to think through all purchases in the long term to avoid wastage, this includes buying better quality items or going without if it's something we would only need for the short term, or buying second hand and reselling.

We do all the work on our house we are able to ourselves.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, never change!!! :)

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
Clothing. Goodwill. Today, there was a $3 on all clothing sale. I bought a $25 suit and pant combo for $3.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
I'd say I'm frugal with clothes, including. I mostly shop at Lord & Taylor...and loved, loved, loved Filene's Basement before it went belly up. I rarely pay full price, although at times I do pay full price for business suits/jackets when the cut/color is perfect. I guess it's the memories of buying my clothes at the Farm & Fleet as a kid that keep running through my head when I lust after a Calvin Klein or Max Mara jacket.

Otherwise, my friends would say I'm thrifty (but not frugal) with my car purchases. Although I like BMWs, I research them assiduously, buy used, and generally pay well below retail or blue book value. And I drive my cars for many, many years.

And my furniture, I think I am thrifty. I usually buy antique furniture at Brimfield (a HUGE flea market outside of Boston)..good for the environment and good for my pocketbook.

But otherwise, I am like others and think more about value than I do about price. I would much rather spend bucko bucks on a simple, heavy Italian leather briefcase that will last me 20-30 years than the latest 'blingy' designer bag.

There is nothing quite like looking at something you love and knowing you got a good deal on it!

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Clothes- buy either heavily on sale or at an off season/slightly defective warehouse with name brands... I have to be careful, but I can get some good scores!

Food- We rarely eat out (once a month), but we do buy organic groceries... I still spend way less than most I know! Coffee- we make our own lattes at home with a moka pot and manual milk frother..total investment was $80 and we've been doing it for a couple years!

-No cable.
-No movies out.
-Borrow books/movies from the library. Use netflix/amazon tv.
-Keep house cold in winter (58/64) and warm in summer (74/76).
-I do all cleaning and yard work, no hired help.
-Husband maintains our cars himself and does most house handy work.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing.

Hence, no bling ...

I have always indulged an ever-deeper addiction to research: nothing was ever spared, nor will. I sure got to see, handle & study some beautiful things I would not price. Looking forward to more !

Last edited:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fashion - I'm HUGE on fast fashion. I know there are ethical concerns, but until that gap is filled for affordability and style for plus size gals, it is what it is.

Cars - as I mentioned in the luxury car thread, I drive a $10k used Prius C, where I spend $30 to fill up per week. We are a one car family right now, with hubby taking community transportation.

Dog food - one giant bag from Costco will last us 6 months or so for our little guy. $30-40. We make him special treats with left over human food or chicken stock.

Activities - we use a lot of TravelZoo and Groupon

Manicures/Pedicures - even though I insist on this, I still try my best to be frugal. I postpone getting my nails redone for 3-4 weeks and my pedicures for two months. Luckily my nails grow slowly.

Hair - I have ombré balayage which means I can extend fixing the highlights for 6 months without looking awful.

I don't really buy too much designer anything. I don't pay a lot for clothing/shoes. I really don't understand why someone pays a lot for something that looks exactly like something much less just for "quality" when it isn't a staple (ie jeans, tank top, bra, etc-- stuff you'll wear until it wears out).

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Frugal about food yet we eat very well. Stock up when things are on sale and throw virtually no food out. Leftover berries are frozen for making ice cream, bread is turned into croutons.
We rarely eat out and make coffee at home. If we are working on a project we bring lunch and water.
Frugal about buying gas--and also cognizant of not wasting gas with unnecessary trips.
Buy used high end furniture on Craigslist at times. Re-purpose what we have via painting or recovering. I buy lots of clothes on eBay--silk or linen high end brands.
Clean my own house but we pay to have the lawn mowed since it is over an acre. I do the gardening. We do our own painting and most repairs.
We only buy Japanese cars-usually used. Youngest son does oil changes and brakes and many repairs ( we pay him!). DH maintains the pool so no pool service.

Splurges-I get my hair cut and colored every 5 weeks but my stylist works out of her home so it is $50. I also get regular manicures and pedicures.
We will splurge on occasional fine dining with expensive wine.
Sometimes we go to plays or concerts and get good tickets.
We travel 5-8 times per year--but do it frugally. Utilize off season, Priceline, and sometimes use miles for the air. But if we want to stay at Four Seasons we can do it because we have not been spending $300 per week eating out or $100 week for a cleaning lady.

We are fortunate in that we both view saving money as a game. And we are careful most of the time so that we can have the $ for vacations or luxury purchases.
It's all about choices and compromises. When I am whining about painting the bathroom I remember that all the money saved goes to our fabulous vacations!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, I'm feeling like a real spendthrift. I get my hair done every week, cut and coloured every 5 weeks. I wear make up everyday, although not top, top premium brands like Dior, same with skincare. I don't use high end shampoo, you're only washing it down the drain.

Like Missy, we buy well, good quality products that will last. We don't mind spending a lot of money on our home, or holidays. DH likes to travel well, so we fly First Class internationally, have a penthouse suite on the cruiseline we use, and stay in good hotels.

I don't budget for food - we have to eat, so buy what we enjoy. We do eat out, but not every week.

After a lifetime of hard work, we want to enjoy life now.

Our real extravagances have been private school, then university education, an apartment, then a house, 2 new cars, lots of exotic travel, for our DS!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though I answered this thread in 2015 since it was bumped back up by Valeria101 I will answer it again. The older I get the less frugal I am. As always I focus on quality because generally you pay for quality and that matters to me. I also like supporting fair wages and am willing to pay more to do so. And if I really want something I get it nowadays. Life is short and life is hard and while saving for the future is important it is OK to splurge on things you really want if you can afford it. So as I have gotten older I have gotten less and less frugal but still try to be smart about what I am purchasing and not overpay. No one should work for free so I don't mind spending money so people can earn living fair wages and make a profit on their hard work.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always been frugal, I can't help it. I just hate waste in all areas. I'd rather repair something than throw it out and buy a new one.
Almost everything I have is from thrift stores, estate sales, or discount stores.
Most of my bling is from estate sales, or eBay. (I just bought a large vintage 14k and jadite cluster ring for $35. What a deal!)

I mostly cook at home, saving alot of money. We go out for Vietnamese or Thai food occasionally.
My hairdresser works out of her home, so she charges less. Makeup is from the drugstore, with coupons.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ask my husband the answer will be not much. I'm finding I'm more reluctant to make big purchases lately but that is about it.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Our (DH and I) spending are consistent with our priorities. At this point, we will pay for convenience -- if it saves us time and effort, it's worth it: cleaning service, eating out daily, etc.... We do not splurge: we fly business or first class because it is a big step up in comfort from coach and I don't want to put that much effort in travel. However, we won't book George V in Paris when the Westin or a boutique hotel will meet our needs/wants.

As for clothes/shoes/accessories, I don't buy a lot, nor do I buy often, and I find I'm buying less and less.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frugal with as much as possible. If I can get a coupon or buy something secondhand, I'm all over it. Unless I absolutely have to buy brand new (underwear, upholstered furniture, mattress etc) I am definitely not into the retail scene.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also like to add that as I get older, I'm much more aware of my aversion to being a "consumer".
I hate advertising that continually tells us what to buy, and what we must have. We are destroying our planet with factories and pollution.
I think that is part of why I gravitate to the thrift store instead of the mall.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm frugal with most things and I believe in investing the best quality you can find. Let me explain... I love high quality clothes and shoes with good lines, because, though more expensive, one needs fewer of them, and in the end, spend less. I prefer beautifully designed pieces, that truly look fantastic instead of a closet full of mediocrity designed for the masses. I like shopping for basics like t shirts etc. at sales prices when I can. I adore good consignment stores!
I love beautiful gems and handmade, original and high quality jewelry. To me, they touch the higher levels that only the arts can touch. However, buy my things one at a time and take time to appreciate what I have. We don't eat out a lot, drive average cars. I do not want to give off the impression to others around me, that I am better off than anyone else, but I do want aesthetic beauty and refinement in my life. Therefore, I buy for beauty, value, inspiration, hand work, rather than labels, status symbols etc.
We invest in health, good food, exercise. I do spend money on hair every month and gel manicures, but I'm in a profession in which I sit with people and I find that they always look at my face and hands, so these things are work related expenses in my view. I have a cleaning person help me once a week, because I don't have the time anymore.
I hate the 'consumer' throw away culture at present. Thinking of how much waste comes in on shipping containers filled with cheap goods, and the plastics and excessive stuff sold at malls and places like Walmart, and imagining it in the landfills in a few years makes me feel ill. There is an excessive shopping illness in modern consciousness which is highly destructive in so many ways in my opinion.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clothes, shoes, haircuts, makeup. Probably more things. I think through every purchase. We spend a ridiculous amount on fresh produce and healthy food though.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just depends. We can be so tight about the silliest of thing, but then when we want something, we get what we want.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have been on my own almost my whole life. So, I do a budget each month to see where I stand. If I see I have extra, I decide what I should get. I used to buy "good clothes", but they seem to have disappeared unless you go to top shops. I dislike replacing things that still serve their purpose. For example: my kitchen could use a facelift. Everytime I call someone to put in granite countertops and modern faucets I change my mind. I like my kitchen. I always have a reason. Why waste the money.

My habits are frugal in nature. I broadly spread it around.

Annette

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I eat out as rarely as possible. I don't buy coffee drinks anymore unless I am out with my children and family. No haircuts, hair color, manicures, pedicures, make up, massages. Shoes. I don't usually have more than one pair of any kind of shoe. Old reliable cars. I don't buy clothes usually, but will splurge if I feel super outdated.

Splurges: A gym and exercise studio membership. New running shoes twice a year. Comfortable practical workout clothes. Tons of organic healthy fresh fruits and vegetables all the time. My kitchen looks like Whole Foods' produce section, except only with fruits I like. With clothes and accessories, I buy higher quality, but fewer.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Cool thread! I try not to buy anything I don't need. I do spend money on staples--a nice Marc Jacobs bag I've been using everyday for four years, etc.

Don't dry clean, avoid fancy haircuts, don't buy coffee out on a regular basis (I do for vacay and social occasions), shop Costco, and if I don't 'need'/wasn't explicitly looking for something, I leave the website or store and think about it overnight almost always. Don't often 'upgrade' bling--I look more than I buy and try to appreciate what I have.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not really frugal with anything but I am a saver & smart with $$. I don't spend beyond my means. I don't have credit card debt. My car is paid for.
I've had a luxury car but I had it for over 10 years & it was paid off way early. I now have a more sensible Subaru for the weather here but am not opposed to another luxury vehicle later.

I'll spend on things I love. I love purses. But I'll limit myself to say one splurge a year & give old ones to charity. Some of my designer bags are decades old & still going.

I love shoes... I will spend extra for a great pair if it fits into my lifestyle but also live in inexpensive Havanaias flip flops during summer.

I'll spend extra on a great coat or dress but only buy things like jeans on sale.

I'll spend extra on quality meats/eggs/butter etc from a local farm but buy the cheap grocery store brands for other things.

Cookware - I will spend more for quality stainless & cast iron with no toxic coatings. All glass food storage containers too, no plastic.

I don't dry clean - I won't buy clothes that require it, not so much to avoid cost but avoid the hassle of going to the cleaners. It's an inconvenience.

I do have my hair done professionally but it's sparatic & a friend so savings there... I do my own nails when I can squeeze in the time - again convenience.

Anything to do with my home I want done right so no cutting corners there.

Vacations- I can go tent camping for very short money or go to an all inclusive resort & be equally happy... so it's a mix.

It's all about balance for me. And I'll usually think about a purchase for a long while before pulling the trigger.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I am sort of schizophrenic. I am frugal with housing (monthly expenses for a paid-for coop still under $600, believe it or not, and lots of my furniture came off the street) and clothing (I buy classic solid-color separates from J.C. Penney and use them to show off my jewelry), but unbelievably extravagant with entertainment and hair color/cut. I like to stay at a B&B in London to afford drinks at the Savoy.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add house updating and repairing to the list I painted a large section of downstairs myself and never get my nails done because I use my hands to clean, paint, garden and do stuff around the house in general.... and while I can admire pretty nails wearing jewellery in particular, I just don't have the type of lifestyle where they would last more than 10 mins. But my hair that's another story. I spend a small fortune on it so I guess it all balances out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results