shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for the holidays....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christmas, Kwanza, Chanuka, Mawild an-nabi, New Years and whatever else I've inadvertently left out.

Christmas -- my stepsons will be home together for the first time in a long time. Since we were in Arizona over Thanksgiving, I'm preparing turkey will all the fixins. We don't exchange gifts anymore but the stepson who works for Google will be googleizing the house as much as I can endure. I'm not ready for a fully functioning smart house so taking baby steps.

New Years -- tending to hubby who is having knee surgery on Dec. 31st. This is the first time in 18 years that we won't be at our beloved and remote hot springs resort for a laid-back and back to nature New Years tradition.

Q

Queenie60

Christmas Eve - taking crab louis and homemade tamales to my MIL's home to treat all of the elders to a nice Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day - to my Brother In Laws home for Christmas dinner. New Years still up in the air! Either to the coast or down south to the Palm Springs area for a fun time. Or, maybe just stay home!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1481486473|4106393 said:
Christmas Eve - taking crab louis and homemade tamales to my MIL's home to treat all of the elders to a nice Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day - to my Brother In Laws home for Christmas dinner. New Years still up in the air! Either to the coast or down south to the Palm Springs area for a fun time. Or, maybe just stay home!

Homemade tamales!! I am jealous. When I lived in south Texas, a Mexican family took me under their wing one Thanksgiving and taught me how to make them. We'd put them in large metal garbage cans, bury the cans and steam the tamales for what seemed like hours (we also made about 200 to feed a large family. Started at 2 a.m. and had them ready to cook by noon. Good times.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven't really decided what we're doing. Last year we were invited to christmas on the beach..that was a lot of fun. If we get an invite we're certainly open to doing it again. We tend to go to bed early on NYE, so....lol But we will likely do the same.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my own on Christmas Day, by choice, as I had done whenever I was without an OH since 1985. I shall eat and drink very well, with full control of the TV remote, and no one to argue with, just the pets to share my food and keep me company, bliss!

On Boxing Day, I am hosting a curry lunch with members from one of my Meetup social groups.

DK :))

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The man in my life has been hosting celebrations since he moved here a few years ago, so over to his house for Christmas with our sons. Unfortunately, it looks like my daughter and son-in-law won't be home for Christmas; they have three cats (all rescued cats) and no trusted cat sitter available over the holidays. The two people who have cat-sat some other years are going away this year. Flying the cats here would be stressful for the cats. :(

We went out last New Year's Eve with some other people, but this thread has reminded me to talk to my guy about staying home this year. My favorite thing to do on New Year's Eve, after all the activity and eating over Christmas, is to curl up on the couch in comfy clothes and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Hey, Troggs! That's your cue to start playing 'Wild Thing'! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXt2A7inIU

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am off the last 2 weeks of the year, and will have my dad in town for a few weeks, and my cousin and a few friends will join DD, dad & I for Christmas. I always cook and love doing so, but we don't really do gifts (except maybe something small/useful); rather, in the spirit of the season, we (adults) make a donation to each other's preferred charitable organizations. Now that DD is an adult, she is partaking in that as well. We aren't rich, but we are blessed and appreciative to not truly need anything, and it's truly heartwarming hearing what others' charities are and why it's meaningful to them.

Aside from that, we will eat, drink, watch football, maybe get out of town for a couple days, and just be merry! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I are spending about 14 days at our beach house but visiting my parents in between for Hanukah/Christmas Eve on the 24th. My mom makes a huge feast during Hanukah/Christmas and we don't leave there hungry.

On the 31st we are heading back to NY and we spend NYE at my sister's house with my sister and her family and my parents. It is a family tradition to spend every NYE with my family and we only missed it once in 1990 when we spent it at Times Square without my parents.

I am not a fan of NYE in general because I don't like to go to bed late and have trouble sleeping most of the time and the later I get to bed the more trouble I have falling asleep. We don't make it to midnight anymore but we stay a few hours and enjoy the family and then leave early and are usually in bed before 11PM.

We get to watch the fireworks from our bedroom (or living room) every NYE and that is our mini family tradition after we leave my family's celebration.

Matata, good luck to your dh on his surgery the 31st.

And wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season with all the best in the upcoming year.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I will be at home with our 4 boys on Christmas day. #1 son will come from his group home, #3 son is home from Vietnam, and #2,4 are currently living here. Our daughter and grand baby will be here until the 24th and I will spend pretty much all of christmas eve driving to and from LAX. I will be thrilled to see them though. This little guy has stolen my heart.

img_13995.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
L2S, so happy you will have all your kids with you on Christmas, and your adorable grandbaby too!!! :appl: I rotated the pic, hope you don't mind, he's so cute and I wanted to be able to see him better! Congrats!

img_13996.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Junebug! I didn't realize it was sideways. This child is so cute I can hardly stand it. My daughter sends me regular videos of him and it takes all my willpower not to post them all over the place.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... as little as I can get away with.

Unfortunately, my SO likes holiday hoopla!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luv2sparkle,

Your grandson is such a sweetie! That's wonderful that you'll have everyone with you for Christmas! :appl:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1481504150|4106472 said:
The man in my life has been hosting celebrations since he moved here a few years ago, so over to his house for Christmas with our sons. Unfortunately, it looks like my daughter and son-in-law won't be home for Christmas; they have three cats (all rescued cats) and no trusted cat sitter available over the holidays. The two people who have cat-sat some other years are going away this year. Flying the cats here would be stressful for the cats. :(

We went out last New Year's Eve with some other people, but this thread has reminded me to talk to my guy about staying home this year. My favorite thing to do on New Year's Eve, after all the activity and eating over Christmas, is to curl up on the couch in comfy clothes and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Hey, Troggs! That's your cue to start playing 'Wild Thing'! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXt2A7inIU

Last night my daughter texted to say they'll be home for Christmas afterall! :dance: :dance: :dance:

They have a trusted cat-sitter who is available for most of the time they'll be here, and the cats will be ok on their own for a short time period when no one is available. Fortunately, we're talking cats not dogs, so no daily outside walks required.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1481576633|4106678 said:
... as little as I can get away with.

Unfortunately, my SO likes holiday hoopla!

Kenny,

We know your SO likes holiday hoopla!

Didn't you see the PS-wide invitation he posted inviting all of us to your house New Year's Eve?

Party at Kenny's! Party at Kenny's! WooHoo! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results