shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you / did you get Dad for Father''s Day?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
I am as bad as any ''guy'' about buying gifts at the last minute. The last wedding I went to I bought the card and gift between the ceremony and reception.
20.gif

So of course I''ll probably buy a father''s day present on Saturday - which means I''m thinking of ideas for the first time today.

Looking for suggestions....what is your Dad/Husband getting?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually I get him a fun shirt--he likes anything tropical looking. Whenever I try to think outside the box he doesn''t like what I give him, so I stick with the tried-and-true. I do wait until the last minute...I''ll probably make a run to the mall tomorrow night before I travel home Friday!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a really hard time this year because I got the typical answer ''I don''t want anything'' and most of the usual stuff (ie. some nice, hard to find wines from Napa) he doesn''t want because he would feel bad drinking them in front of mom (who can''t have that stuff right now). So.........out of desperation, and knowing he''s a ''gourmand'' I sent him a basket of assorted world cheeses from igourmet.com. They had a lot of different assorted baskets (meats, antipastos, etc) but he loves trying new cheese, go figure.
1.gif

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
I''m in the same boat! I have no idea what to get for fathers day....probably end up doing the usual gift-card-to-a-hardware-store deal LoL

At least he can pick out what he REALLY wants/needs....

Is it me or are these holidays coming up so fast?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dh and I both do not have dads, and for some reason father''s day is not that big of a deal to him...usually do cards, let him sleep in (like that is new!) and go to a nice brunch...but, this year, he decided he wants the gold rolex presidential and is deciding between the yellow and the rose gold. I am looking at it as more of just a gift in general anyway, he has wanted one for a while now so if he wants to call it a father''s day gift, fine...whatever makes him happy! But, I am not really involved in the whole process, just weighed in with my thoughts and the rest is up to him...do not want him saying I got this blank blank because you liked it...this is all about him!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
donation to Larkin Street in San Francisco that works with youth. i figure my dad has enough things and using the $$ to help someone who isn''t as fortunate as i am to have my dad is the thing to do.

movie zombie

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Probably going to get my husband a gift certificate to get his car detailed & my dad.........I have know idea yet.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
My own dad died many years ago . . . my daughters and I are taking my husband to see "Triple Espresso," a comedy show in San Diego, then we''ll go out to eat . . . oh, better make reservations.

My daughter''s school is also having a fathers day lunch on Friday.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I got my Dad a new electric shaver, got my Father-in-Law a Leatherman, and am getting my husband a cover for his streetbike because it gets dirty parked in the garage from the wind and sand from the beach!

All in all, a little expensive Father''s Day for me....but we''re lucky to have them all with us!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
For gifts, FIL and my husband are getting a father and son sport-fishing trip. My FIL is a widower, and dh is his only son. My husband always mentions how he wants to do more stuff with his dad....I found a great sport-fishing place that offers gift cards. As for actual father''s day activities, I''m thinking of BBQ at our Beach Club.

My dad lives in a different country, and luckily Father''s day is 2 months away in August. I have some time to think about what to get him.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
My dad asked for a specific watch from Costco, so that''s what I got him....my dad even sent me the Costco coupon to make sure I got the right one!
9.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coupla goofy photo gifts: a pic of our son on a mouse pad, and a mug with our daughter's pic on it.
A new leather wallet identical to the battered Coach billfold he already has.
He'll get to sleep in on Sunday (haha Diamondfan....I thought the same thing. Like sleeping in is a special thing for him!)
Brunch at the Carnelian Room with the kids and our two brothers who are in town.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
See, now I wish my dad did that! It''s so much easier when they want something!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 3:08:10 PM
Author: portoar
My own dad died many years ago . . . my daughters and I are taking my husband to see ''Triple Espresso,'' a comedy show in San Diego, then we''ll go out to eat . . . oh, better make reservations.

I LOVE Triple Espresso! So fun
9.gif
Have you checked out the San Diego Thread? We''re having a get together in July if you''re interested!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. My stepfather is hard to shop for. So I got him a huge box of godiva chocolates (his favorite) and my grandfather just lost his wallet so for I picked him up a new one. My uncle is getting a nice card.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nothing yet! typically i get him clothes but i spaced out this year and so i don''t have time to have something shipped.

i may task greg to get him something this year as he always has nice ''boy'' ideas that my dad seems to really like. maybe something for his car.. i got him one of those big car washing kit things one year and he was in HEAVEN. he loves car items and techy tool gadget stuff.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i already gave my dad cash. i will probably get another "PINK" color
23.gif
Polo shirt.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh Portoar, you''ll love Triple Espresso--it''s goofy and silly and lots of laughs!!

I am at a total LOSS about what to get my DAD!!! Any low budget but high sentimentality ideas? I''ve done photo stuff (juxtaposing childhood pics w/ adult pics of us in frames, etc.) in the past. DON''T knOW!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of my gifts to my dad last year that he loved was .. he did his first triathalon last year and it was a huge deal, so i had a few pictures i''d taken of him crossing the finish line, and i framed them and gave them to him...he so loved them. part of the problem is that i am a pretty good gift giver typically so i always feel like each year the ''bar'' is raised higher!!! i need to start giving some crappy gifts to people so that they don''t expect that much in the future and i can surprise them! haha.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I got my dad a polo shirt and some socks for golf. He golfs away all his free time so I always try to do something like that.

For my husband, I got him tickets to a White Sox game, a grill brush he wanted, and a picnic basket so the kids and I can take him on a picnic for lunch on Saturday (not sunday we are going to brunch).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
KD! It is not really like I begrudge him, he works very hard and gets up very early and works tons of hours...but hey! Let''s not pretend this is any different than any other Sunday...he just puts the pillow over his head and goes temporarily deaf til noon!!!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I was so boring. I got my dad a gift certificate to a golf place he likes... I have absolutely no clue about golf stuff and he''s so picky I never know what to get!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 6:55:59 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i already gave my dad cash. i will probably get another ''PINK'' color
23.gif
Polo shirt.
What is it with men and pink shirts?! LOL. I bet it looks good with your skin tone. I bought a pink dress shirt for DH and he didn''t want to wear it. All the guys made fun of him like little schoolboys....and all the girls went gaga for it. He got compliments from women all day long.
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I got my DH a Stihl line trimmer to replace the one he murdered. I will probably just send Daddy some money to get what he wants. I asked, and he said that he didnt'' need anything. I''m like that''s not the point. It''s what do you want.
20.gif

shay

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 6:03:44 PM
Author: researcher

Date: 6/14/2006 3:08:10 PM
Author: portoar
My own dad died many years ago . . . my daughters and I are taking my husband to see ''Triple Espresso,'' a comedy show in San Diego, then we''ll go out to eat . . . oh, better make reservations.

I LOVE Triple Espresso! So fun
9.gif
Have you checked out the San Diego Thread? We''re having a get together in July if you''re interested!
35.gif
I have seen it but not sure I can come . . . summer vacation, gotta try to sell some real estate and also the kids will be home . . . but if it looks like I can I''ll be in touch, I''d love to meet you all!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
We''re taking him out to dinner and then giving him 4 pairs of tickets to different performances at Ravinia Festival (Ravinia - Home) and a gift certificate to cover meals to take for each of the performances from the restaurant he likes to go to before going there. I''m pretty positive he''ll like it because we had to check which concerts he wanted to go to before buying him tickets
1.gif
So he knows what he''s getting already, minus the gift certificate to the restaurant, he thinks it is just tickets. My dad is imposible to shop for so if he throws us a bone with an idea we run with it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 7:08:58 PM
Author: FireGoddess

23.gif
Polo shirt.
What is it with men and pink shirts?! LOL. I bet it looks good with your skin tone. I bought a pink dress shirt for DH and he didn''t want to wear it. All the guys made fun of him like little schoolboys....and all the girls went gaga for it. He got compliments from women all day long.
2.gif
Lol, I see guys in pink shirts now all the time here in Chicago! And they''re not metrosexuals, really, either...OK, my DH still wouldn''t wear one, but only because his skin tone wouldn''t work so well with the pale pink that looks so fab on some of the guys I''ve seen wearing it. He''s not a "red" guy either, it just doesn''t complement his coloring.

DF, I''ve seen pics of you before from your wedding and with a car you had when you were younger, I think. I would be willing to wager that you look great in pink! It''s sort of a "preppy" color but I think you could pull it off! Just promise your wife you''ll only wear it when you''re with her...Mara''s right--the girls do love a man in a pink shirt!
2.gif
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Well this year for father''s day, I am a little emotional ...
39.gif

I hadn''t said anything but my darling hubby just got out of the hospital. He almost died, and he is home now, but not completely out of the woods. So ... I don''t know ... I thought about a poem about how much I love him, but I just start crying, becuase I immediately start thinking about what if he doesn''t make it. I am still scared. Needs to be low key as he is recovering.

And as far as my own father ... well, Kaylagee''s passing of her father made me realize what I already know, just affirms that time is short, and I thought that I will try to find a picture of me when I was little with my dad ... and make a card and just let him know that even though I am the big 40 this year, I will always be his lil'' girl, and write about one of many fond memories that I had with him growing up. Yup, I am the baby!
face23.gif

As far a my FIL ... I am not getting him anything.
15.gif
He is a self~centered man! FIL and hubby had plans to go fishing (You know a father son, grandson) weekend trip at the cabin. Well, FIL was so h*ll bent on still going, and asking why couldn''t his son just bring the O2 tanks with him, and go fishing overnight in a remote area where the nearest medical facility is 90 minutes away ... Hubby said to his dad that he was sorry, maybe they could reschedule it for another time, but FIL said "no", For father''s day he wanted to go fishing, and that he would just go without him!
6.gif
My hubby feels bad! I just don''t understand what the big deal is about going on "Father''s day"! Personally, my dad thinks father''s day is everyday ... and is just glad that hubby got to come home from hosp. and is alive ... and to be thankful for our blessings. I wished that FIL would have said something like "I know your really ill and weak right now, how about we do lunch, and do the fishing trip next month, or when your feeling up to it." Oh well.
38.gif

I think I will do a lunch on Sunday, and invite my dad over along with hubby''s grandfather on his mom''s side (Grandpa is in his 80''s and still goes out dancing every weekend at the club!)

Ok, keep smiling, and hope that this weekend will be a happy one for all!
Take care,
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif
Polo shirt.
Dancing Fire ~
emrose.gif

I personally think most men look pretty dang "HOT" in a nice pink polo, or pink collard shirt!
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL....i''m too old to wear anything "PINK"
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results