shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you currently reading

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
B.E.G.|1349147200|3277845 said:
FYI to the Rick Riordan fans - The Mark of Athena comes out tomorrow (Oct. 2)!

Also, Kane Chronicles is done, I believe - it was a trilogy.

AHH! Finished it last night; another good one. Cliffhanger ending, as usual, but at least we only have to wait a year for the next one! Some authors take years in between books. I think I'll have to go back and re-read the first series to tide me over!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1349454495|3279929 said:

AHH! Finished it last night; another good one. Cliffhanger ending, as usual, but at least we only have to wait a year for the next one! Some authors take years in between books. I think I'll have to go back and re-read the first series to tide me over!

I ripped through it and finished it about 2 hours before I set up my new Kindle! Oh well :)

Yes, I'm glad RR isn't taking a page from, say, George RR Martin's book and taking 5 years before another book comes out. I really love this new series (the Greek/Roman), even more than the original Percy Jackson series!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
B.E.G.|1349456226|3279944 said:
aviastar|1349454495|3279929 said:

I ripped through it and finished it about 2 hours before I set up my new Kindle! Oh well :)

Yes, I'm glad RR isn't taking a page from, say, George RR Martin's book and taking 5 years before another book comes out. I really love this new series (the Greek/Roman), even more than the original Percy Jackson series!

I'll probably re-read it soon, just because I sped though it so fast this first time to find out what happens, I'd like to go back and appreciate it a bit more.

Hm, there are things about this series I enjoy more, like Percy and Annabeth, but Percy is my favorite and while it was still enjoyable, there are whole books and whole chunks in this new series that don't really feature Percy and I miss him. The characters are a lot of fun as they get a bit older, though.

I don't want to post any spoilers- do you think there are enough of us reading for a seperate thread about the series?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I am venturing on over here to look for new books to read.

Right now I'm reading "Peony in Love," by Lisa See. She also wrote, "Snowflower and the Secret Fan," which I really enjoyed, but the Peony book isn't quite the same, so now I'm on the hunt for new books. I bought Cloud Atlas and have a few other books on my to-read pile. Actually...a lot of books on that pile...I always buy lots and so I have an assortment to pick from depending upon my mood.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1340680326|3223650 said:
Finished up my last books and I've decided to try the Gregor The Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Different audience than for the Hunger Games, but I enjoyed her writing, storytelling, and worldbuilding so I am going to give her other work a shot!

Anyone else on to new books lately?

My 10 year old is reading Gregor the Overlander! What did you think of the book? I am wondering if I should check it out since I liked the Hunger Games. Neither of my boys have wanted to read those yet! I did let them watch the movie. (wasn't sure, but then figured they had seen LOTR and turned out okay!)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1354918735|3325792 said:
Finished up my last books and I've decided to try the Gregor The Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Different audience than for the Hunger Games, but I enjoyed her writing, storytelling, and worldbuilding so I am going to give her other work a shot!

My 10 year old is reading Gregor the Overlander! What did you think of the book? I am wondering if I should check it out since I liked the Hunger Games. Neither of my boys have wanted to read those yet! I did let them watch the movie. (wasn't sure, but then figured they had seen LOTR and turned out okay!)

They are quick reads, so give the first in the series a try and see if you like it! I enjoyed them enough to finish the series in one go- which isn't too hard as the books aren't that long or complex. Some of the same themes come up as HG, but it's obviously written for a younger audience so it's with a lighter touch. And after anyone has tried them we can talk endings...I had some opinions!

I love Hunger Games, and while I enjoyed Gregor, I probably won't go back and re-read. So, good, definietly worth reading, but not a intsa-love-classic.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1354918495|3325786 said:
Hi Everyone,

Right now I'm reading "Peony in Love," by Lisa See. She also wrote, "Snowflower and the Secret Fan," which I really enjoyed, but the Peony book isn't quite the same, so now I'm on the hunt for new books. I bought Cloud Atlas and have a few other books on my to-read pile. Actually...a lot of books on that pile...I always buy lots and so I have an assortment to pick from depending upon my mood.

Any genres you are especially interested in? I saw in the other thread that you liked the Henry VIII and Anne storyline, ever tried Phillippa Gregory?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reading The Black Box. It is by Michael Connelly.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1355002117|3326403 said:
MC|1354918735|3325792 said:

They are quick reads, so give the first in the series a try and see if you like it! I enjoyed them enough to finish the series in one go- which isn't too hard as the books aren't that long or complex. Some of the same themes come up as HG, but it's obviously written for a younger audience so it's with a lighter touch. And after anyone has tried them we can talk endings...I had some opinions!

I love Hunger Games, and while I enjoyed Gregor, I probably won't go back and re-read. So, good, definietly worth reading, but not a intsa-love-classic.

Okay, will try it out. I just ordered the second book for my son for Christmas :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1355002182|3326405 said:
MC|1354918495|3325786 said:
Hi Everyone,

Any genres you are especially interested in? I saw in the other thread that you liked the Henry VIII and Anne storyline, ever tried Phillippa Gregory?

Yes, I read The Other Boleyn Girl a couple of years ago and do have another book by her but haven't read it yet. I went through a huge dystopian phase and still read quite a bit of books of that genre. Then, I watched the movie of the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo then read the Girl Who Played With Fire, but became bored half way through the Hornet's Nest. Basically, I was pretty specifically into things involving dystopian and then was given a kindle linked to another person's account and she keeps adding books on so currently there are 700+ books to pick from. When I first got it there was 400+, so I started randomly reading various books that I normally wouldn't read. There was one tale about zombies that the author wrote ON HER BLACKBERRY and somehow it ended up being published. It was horrible and I'm not sure why I read the second one, too. Normally I'd never read anything like that. hahaha (I don't have a problem with zombies...it was just poorly written - no character development...I cannot stand when the characters are flat and all sound like each other.) Oh, and I like Stephen King for my "junk" reading. He actually does a great job creating disfunctional characters that are much more like real life people than compared to what other authors present to us.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I like historical fiction of royal families but I also like fantasy epically long novels (Game of Thrones which I read way before there was a tv show).

Right now, I'm re-reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mandel. It takes place during the time of King Henry VIII but from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell. Once I'm done, I'll start her follow-up to that novel, Bring Up The Bodies.

Recently I finished reading Exodus (leon Uris) about the founding of Israel. It was really amazing - I cried in public (well, on an airplane) while reading it.

I'm so glad there's a book thread here, I'm always on the lookout for things to read.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I've been having bad luck with finding a good book lately. But I just picked up The Boy in the Suitcase. It's good so far.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
maccers|1355781045|3333698 said:
I like historical fiction of royal families but I also like fantasy epically long novels (Game of Thrones which I read way before there was a tv show).

Right now, I'm re-reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mandel. It takes place during the time of King Henry VIII but from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell. Once I'm done, I'll start her follow-up to that novel, Bring Up The Bodies.

Recently I finished reading Exodus (leon Uris) about the founding of Israel. It was really amazing - I cried in public (well, on an airplane) while reading it.

I'm so glad there's a book thread here, I'm always on the lookout for things to read.

Hi! I asked in the series thread, too, but have you tried Sword of Truth, by Terry Goodkind? I got hooked on the TV series based on the series (Legend of the Seeker) on Netflix, and read that the books were quite different, but really true to the characters. Got me intrigued. Would love a 'real-live' recommendation, though before I purchase!

I'm a big fantasy reader, myself. I want to ESCAPE when I read! They aren't epically long themselves, nor are they as, erm, mature as GOT, but the Belgariad (and the Mallorean, the follow up series), totals about 10 books I think, and I really loved them.

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
I've started reading the Wheel of Time saga by Robert Jordan and it's growing on me. I love Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel saga and Namaah Trilogy - I highly recommend it :) I also love George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones on HBO. I don't like the HBO adaptation though... highly sexualized and it doesn't really follow the character's individual stories in the book.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been reading a lot lately, and I seem to have been on a kick of dysfunctional marriage/relationship type books. Why, I do not know - they seem to be pretty popular in contemporary literature right now. I read:

I read both Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) and the Silent Wife (A.S.A. Harrison) recently. Both books center around extremely dysfunctional relationships between a man/woman (and another woman). While I was interested to keep on reading them, I much preferred Gone Girl to the Silent Wife. The Silent Wife seemed had no redeeming qualities to ANY of the characters in the book, and while I get that the point was to have you hate the characters (mission accomplished) I couldn't really figure out what the author's point of that was. I currently have another Gillian Flynn novel, Dark Places, here but I can't read it yet...I need a break from that literature!

I also just finished Labor Day - Joyce Maynard. I'm trying to read through all the books that are becoming big movies in 2014. This was a heartwarming book, but I found the timeframe of the story to be a little unbelievable. The whole book was a little underdeveloped - probably could have used another 50 pages to explain the sequences of events.

Currently I'm reading the first of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth - this series reminds me of the Hunger Games series. Since I'm only nearly finished book one, I can't say which series I like more, but I like the fast paced fantasy of it all. It really has given me a change of pace from the dark, disturbing literature I had been reading. I like both genres, but I need a break sometimes.

Next up (after I finish all the Divergents that is) is Where'd you go Bernadette, The Interestings, the Fault in our Stars, and Silver Linings Playbook.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just finishing Amy Tan's The Valley of Amazement.
Wonderful and incredibly detailed and researched -- but I had to put it down when I was in Costa Rica - - too intense for a beach vacation.

BrittanyLovgonski

Rough_Rock
Just finished reading The memoirs of a geisha..
Will start reading " The fault in our stars" John Green.

:twirl:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrittanyLovgonski|1391101572|3604214 said:
Just finished reading The memoirs of a geisha..
Will start reading " The fault in our stars" John Green.

:twirl:

Brittany, I'm about to read the fault in our stars too! Let me know what you think.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for the book recommendation thread but this will do.

I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird with my son who is a high school freshman. Can't believe how much I missed the first time around. It's such a good book, and Harper Lee is so funny!!! I would have never thought this was funny at 14, but at 40 something it is hilarious. Up next is Lord of the Flies, which I remember distinctly as being NOT funny.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1483065710|4110575 said:
Looking for the book recommendation thread but this will do.

I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird with my son who is a high school freshman. Can't believe how much I missed the first time around. It's such a good book, and Harper Lee is so funny!!! I would have never thought this was funny at 14, but at 40 something it is hilarious. Up next is Lord of the Flies, which I remember distinctly as being NOT funny.

I am not a professional teacher, but I did a stint as a middle school English and French teacher while my daughter was enrolled in an independent school. I had the privilege of teaching To Kill A Mockingbird while I was working there. I believe it was to my eighth grade English class. I remember being enchanted by it all over again. I also remember the brouhaha we had in the class because the students refused to read or say the "n" word. ;))

AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my reading is textbooks right now -- computer architecture, discrete mathematics, and intercultural communications.

Starting another book to just read, but torn between several. One is an autobiography that looks interesting -- Now They Call Me Infidel
Another is a classic I have been meaning to get to -- War and Peace
The other is a light duty mystery book -- Just Desserts.

Probably going to do the mystery first... The textbooks are heavy enough reading that a little something unchallenging might be welcome in the evenings.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently reading The big book of AngularJS 2.0. Not the most exciting thing in the world ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results