shape
carat
color
clarity

What are these lines in my sapphire?

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this forum and gemstones in general. Trying to figure out how to upload a photo, so please bear with me. Can anyone tell me what these little lines are in my sapphire? I can only see them when the light hits it a certain way. Sometimes they reflect rainbow colors but I couldn't capture that in photos.

20161019_143203.jpg

20161019_143051.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it go all across the table?
Does it look like it is coming from inside the sapphire or is it on the surface?

It could be polishing marks but I cannot tell for sure.

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
They are inside the stone. There are other lines that go in the other direction and intersect. It's so hard to get a photo. I can only see them in certain lighting.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are typical growth lines in inexpensive sapphires.

Tourmaline|1477050116|4089207 said:
Those are typical growth lines in inexpensive sapphires.

The color does not look 'inexpensive', though, or does it?

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
It changes color from blue in sunlight to purple indoors.

20161021_080427.jpg

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
These were taken indoors and show a little more of what I'm seeing. It's a family piece that was handed down to me. According to the jeweler who fixed a broken prong, the setting is platinum. I've always been mesmerized by the lines and little flecks that look like stars. The inside of the stone makes me think of gazing into the galaxy. I was just curious if anyone might be able to shed some light on what I'm seeing. There are a few inclusions, but the lines and specks look so different from them.

20161021_080529.jpg

20161021_080510.jpg

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
And just for fun, because I've never had a chance to talk to other gemstone lovers about it before, here's a couple good photos of the setting. There are forget me not designs carved into the sides with tiny little diamonds in the center of the flowers.

20161021_082946.jpg

20161021_083012.jpg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Justaddcoffee. Welcome to Pricescope. I can't help you at all with your question, but just logged on to say that I love your ring. The sapphire is a lovely colour and such a pretty setting. It looks great with your eternity band too! :angel:

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
justaddcoffee|1477050076|4089206 said:
They are inside the stone. There are other lines that go in the other direction and intersect. It's so hard to get a photo. I can only see them in certain lighting.

Hi, I like the color of your gemstone and the setting is beautiful!

I am not an expert but if the lines are not on the surface of the stone, I would guess they are natural inclusions. They remind me of a picture I saw here: http://www.gia.edu/gem-inclusion-insight

Enjoy your family treasure!

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful ring! The craftsmanship is absolutely stunning and you should be proud to own such a beautiful ring!

Without examining it in person, it's hard to tell what the lines are. With that said, they are probably growth lines from when the crystal was forming.

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
mtsapphirelovingannie|1477069610|4089298 said:
justaddcoffee|1477050076|4089206 said:

Hi, I like the color of your gemstone and the setting is beautiful!

I am not an expert but if the lines are not on the surface of the stone, I would guess they are natural inclusions. They remind me of a picture I saw here: http://www.gia.edu/gem-inclusion-insight

Enjoy your family treasure!

Hi! Thanks for that link. It was very helpful. They do look just like the picture of the rutile needles from that page.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rutile needles are also called "silk" if they are very fine and yes, that's what those are. That stuff that looks like a galaxy inside the stone are little "stars" which are caused by reflections from those micro rutile needle crossing over each other, (since the rutile crystal direction follows the growth lines in the sappphire). These are what sapphire heat treatments are trying to eliminate. I think that the stone looks much more interesting with the silk left in and your gem is a grand example of a beautiful, untreated sapphire.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it is a lovely gem with PERSONALITY !!!!

But hey I like inclusions as I am old school and we always wanted to see something in a gem to help determine it being natural and not a man-made gem...

I love the classic style of both the mount and the gems unique inclusions; you will always know it is your gem as it has many identifiers that add character to the piece.

Many inclusions are over the top but I think this one is nice and I think it will show many sides to its personality in different lighting conditions and positions it is viewed in...

Enjoy it for all it is...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds

ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
I know this thread is super old, but I’m bumping it to ask advice about sending my ring to GIA for a full report. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but I’m nervous that something could happen in transit. Traveling to NY or CA isn’t an option for me right now. Any advice about the best way to handle sending a stone/ring to GIA in the mail?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I know this thread is super old, but I’m bumping it to ask advice about sending my ring to GIA for a full report. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but I’m nervous that something could happen in transit. Traveling to NY or CA isn’t an option for me right now. Any advice about the best way to handle sending a stone/ring to GIA in the mail?

I asked recently about sending my fancy colored diamonds to the GIA and it was suggested to me to find a local jeweler who could perhaps send it in that has an account with the GIA. That saves you having to declare what it is and your estimated value for insurance to the people at the counter in the post office. I thought it was brilliant.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I think your stone is so beautiful and unique! What an individual.

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
I asked recently about sending my fancy colored diamonds to the GIA and it was suggested to me to find a local jeweler who could perhaps send it in that has an account with the GIA. That saves you having to declare what it is and your estimated value for insurance to the people at the counter in the post office. I thought it was brilliant.

Thank you! That sounds like a good idea. I’ll look around for a jeweler who might be able to help me.

I’m at a point where I might be ready to sell the ring depending on its value, but I feel a little confused with the whole process. I need a GIA report in order to get an accurate appraisal. But then how much would I need to insure it for shipping purposes? I have no idea without the appraisal.

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say that I think your stone is so beautiful and unique! What an individual.

Thank you! Most of the time you can’t see all the silk that you do in these photos. It took a lot of angling in just the right light to capture it.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Most of the time you can’t see all the silk that you do in these photos. It took a lot of angling in just the right light to capture it.
The color zoning and silk in sapphires does make for a wonderful inner world which one has to really look into the stone to see...like a secret garden! I believe that it only is seen on the right moments, as you describe. It’s got such body! . My daughter has a sapphire with much more extreme color zoning and other things inside. The overall effect is a wonderful blue, but when you look closely, it’s a whole world inside!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
193A90DD-356A-44D1-890E-8C002BFAF3F7.jpeg
Just for fun, I recently posted this sapphire ring in the ‘unique/interesting gems’ thread. How fabulous and artistic lines can be!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring and such a beautiful colour.

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
193A90DD-356A-44D1-890E-8C002BFAF3F7.jpeg
Just for fun, I recently posted this sapphire ring in the ‘unique/interesting gems’ thread. How fabulous and artistic lines can be!

Wow! What a cool stone!

justaddcoffee

Rough_Rock
It looks like Pittsburgh, PA is going to be the nearest city where I might find a jeweler with a GIA account. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous stone and setting! I love it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like Pittsburgh, PA is going to be the nearest city where I might find a jeweler with a GIA account. Does anyone have any recommendations?
First off, let me say that I love that ring. I've been a sapphire girl all my life!

Also I am from the Pittsburgh area, but I've been away for a long time.
As I recall, the Clark Building downtown was FULL of jewelers. That's where my original E-ring came from, but that was a long time ago!
Here is a web site about all the reputable jewelers in that building. At the top of the page, "Meet the dealers" should get you all the contact info.
I hope this helps!
http://www.jewelrydistrictpgh.com/

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The way it sparkles makes me think it's got rutile inclusions rather than growth lines. Which can mean it's unheated!
Beautiful stone, it's got something about it. :kiss2:

Oh and it's a colour shifter too, another plus! Mine is the same (the avatar picture), shifts from blue-ish to purple depending on light.

Just saw what Michale E said, I have the same opinion.

Last edited:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Practical advice regarding the shipping if you want to ship it yourself. Go to the post office and get one of their small priority shipping boxes (looks like it would hold a big paperback book). Go home. Wrap the ring so it is in a gem box, inside a bigger plastic bag with your GIA paperwork, wrapped all around with bubble wrap or tissue paper. Tape that box up really well with packing tape so it is hard to get into. Ship it US postal service, insured with tracking and signature required. The USPS workers are mostly career people and they are carefully screened.

Do you have it insured for any particular value? I think you want to be accurate in your guess. But I imagine people ship a lot of things worth about $1-2k, and probably not much that’s worth $10k. Do you want to crowd source an estimated value for shipping purposes here?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results