shape
carat
color
clarity

What are these ebay sellers trying to pull...but what *are* these stones?

wugbug

Rough_Rock
There's no such thing as a free lunch and there's no such thing as a Russian 20 carat alexandrite for $20...but what are these stones these ebay sellers are attempting to sell?

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loose-Gems...ing-Oval-Cut-IGL-Certified-B4191/292770278257

From my initial research into alexandrite and its simulants/synthetics/things to be aware of it was suggested the vanadium laced corundum should be confined to purplish->pink colour changes rather than the green show in the ad above - something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Qualit...stone-Color-Changing-Alexandrite/292672549882

My info comes from the alexandrite.net page:
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/chapter7/index.html

and from reading a couple of forums both gemological and geological :)

Instead, to me, the green/pink "alexandrite" resembles the flux grown synthetic photo on the .net site - but its price and size would suggest that this *must* be a cheap corundum instead.

Just hoping some wiser gem lovers would be able to provide their insight into this.

...final thought - could the green/pink "gems" be some kind of glass? Neodynmium laced perhaps?

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
its crap

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The poor poor people that arent into gems and have only heard about alexandrites and come by listings as such and go "Oh my, i found a steal!! I've always wanted an Alexandrite!!"
Shame on sellers as such

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All are very cheap and nasty synthetic gems that cost a few cents so even at $20 there is a nice profit in it.
The other “scam” is the rubies, sapphires and emeralds that if not the same fake gems are dyed quartz (I always laugh when I see the photos of said “emerald” that is being held by fingers covered in green dye) or highly treated ie glass filled material.
Ditto the countless rings set with Kashmir sapphires, Burmese Rubies etc starting at 99 cents.
But even more intriguing is the positive feedback these sellers might receive.
Do people actually think they got a real sterling silver ring (it’s not btw) and an actual gem or do they just think the ring is prettty?
You get what you pay for.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not so sure I'd call that a nice profit. A skilled person still spent several hours cutting it, photographing it, and making the listing. Would you work several hours for less than $20?

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think it is synthetic corundum. The seller states that it is synthetic:
Natural/Lab-Created: Lab-Created

They are cheap and are often masking as alexandrites. But es Gene is posting for this money a steal.

wugbug

Rough_Rock
Indeed as long as people realise that the material definitely isn't actual alexandrite then I suppose there's nothing wrong in selling a colour changing mineral that is cut to a shape people like.

This does suggest to me that the documentation on flame fusion corundum should be updated to say that green/red stones are now possible and it is not just limited to purple/red.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought some giant fake gems for my kid for around $10 - $15 each a few years back. I thought it was worth it. They look like massive cartoon gems and his visiting friends love them.

I certainly couldn't produce a fake gem for $15.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results