shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the biggest diamonds you''ve ever seen in person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I saw a 50 carat H color radiant cut diamond (price $12 million USD) in Cartier''s 5th Ave store. Other than the British crown jewels, it was the biggest stone I''ve seen in person. The second biggest one I''ve seen is Liz Taylor''s 33+ carat emerald cut. (Hers is prettier than the 50 carat radiant.) I thought it might be fun to talk about the biggest diamonds or other jewels we''ve seen in person and where we saw them.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Besides the British crown jewels......I tried on some solitaire 10+ carat diamonds rings ring Cartier this summer in Hawaii, and recently, a solitare of 8+ carats locally at my jewellers. I definately preferred the fancy shapes over the rounds of similar size.

cheers--Sharon

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been brave enough to ask to try on! I was in Chicago last week and Graff had amazing 15 and 10 carat stones. I never thought I''d be drawn to that large of a diamond but oh my, I stared forever. I was actually most fascinated by the RB 3.03 D VSI they had though. It was absolutely stunning.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
The biggest diamond I''ve ever put on my hand was a 6ct Asscher. It was gorgeous! My husband and I were strolling through all of the antique stores on Royal Street in New Orleans and I dove into one shop because I saw an enormous jewelry case through the front window. Sure enough, there was what appeared to be an antique Cartier micropave setting holding a magnificent Asscher. It was indeed a Royal Asscher! The sales associate was kind enough to let me try it on. I had not realized how deep the Asschers are cut. The step cuts and the depth were just hypnotic. Unfortunately, I had to give it back and walk out of the store without it. My husband later remarked that he would not have been at all surprised if I would have made a run fo it. ; - )

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I guess other than museum stuff (British crown jewels and the Hope Diamond and some other stuff at the Smithsonian) around 30 carats at Kaufmann de Suisse in Palm Beach. The most I have ever tried on was probably 10 carats but I tried on that huge, enormous $600k necklace at Graff''s in Chicago. I can''t recall the total carat weight in that one.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the Hope Diamond when I Was young. I remember thinking it was small for being one of the larger diamonds in the world. I had invisioned it being as large as a foot stool. (Probably a crazy idea that came from watching too many episodes of Duck Tales where they mine huge diamonds).

Anyway, I wish I could go back and see it again now that I am older and have a more realistic understanding of diamonds.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
the biggest diamond I ever saw was christmas 1990 when my then boyfrind was home on leave after bootcamp and we were wandering around a mall in san diego - and in the window was a 12 ctw with a 8 carat center for 58k. I remember it being 58k bcause it was the same price my stepfather had paid for his HOUSE back in the 70's lol I remember it looking huge and unwearable. I thought it was truly ridicuous but I was awestruck nonetheless. I was also 20 years old lol

ETA: we also saw all of the stones at the natural history museum in DC including the hope etc. At the time I wasn't *that* interested in diamonds and went through that area rather quickly... at least much quicker than I would *now* haha

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2006 1:06:18 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
the biggest diamond I ever saw was christmas 1990 when my then boyfrind was home on leave after bootcamp and we were wandering around a mall in san diego - and in the window was a 12 ctw with a 8 carat center for 58k. I remember it being 58k bcause it was the same price my stepfather had paid for his HOUSE back in the 70''s lol I remember it looking huge and unwearable. I thought it was truly ridicuous but I was awestruck nonetheless. I was also 20 years old lol

ETA: we also saw all of the stones at the natural history museum in DC including the hope etc. At the time I wasn''t *that* interested in diamonds and went through that area rather quickly... at least much quicker than I would *now* haha

Yes large diamonds are alot of money.
38.gif

Last year we went to the Natural History Museum in DC and I really enjoyed the stone section. I had been there in 5th grade and they rushed us by the Hope Diamond. So last year I took alot of photos of it and took my time. Now the case revolves so we don''t have to "move along" so others can see.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the Hope diamond is the biggest I've ever seen. Biggest I've ever tried is a 6 carat Royal Asscher VSS1 J and though it was definitely warm in color it was AMAZING. Set with two traps on either side in Walnut Creek. Setting needed to be redone by Leon though, frankly.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen any stones THAT large actually. I held a 4 carat round brilliant in my hand once, but that''s the biggest I''ve touched. Here in LA I see a huge stone fairly frequently, but rarely to I get a close up.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been to so many meuseums that I cannot honestly tell you which diamonds I''ve seen in my life and which I havn''t.

But, the biggest diamond I''ve seen in person... Many years ago when I was a kid I was taken to a Milwaukee Braves game.... A huge diamond on the field. So big that you had people standing at the corners.... I have never heard a weight estimate for it.
2.gif

Perry

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen the Star of Africa at 530.20 carats....does that count???

starofafrica.jpg
starofafrica.jpg

I''ve also seen a 50-carat EC in Tiffany''s at NYC...that was a beauty!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Crown Jewels in London!!!! Magnificant and a must for diamond lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results