shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some yummy/interesting snacks that I should get hubby to bring home from the US?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely See’s! Just tell him to get it at a See’s store rather than the airport; he’ll pay double at the airport! Personally I’d get an assortment of regular See’s chocolates, and an assortment (1/2 pound, or full pound) of truffles. You can get an assortment of just milk versus dark chocolate, if you have a preference.

Last edited:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then get a bushel of apples. ;)2

Not apples - dried apricots or prunes.

Spoken as one who grew up in the Silicon Valley (before it was the Silicon Valley), who spent some summers working at a local cannery and at a Mariano’s shed cutting apricots.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See’s candy, Snyder pretzels, The giant Trader Joe’s chocolate bars, Trader Joe’s Toffee with nuts, anything Trader Joe’s!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be interested to try some of this chocolate because the big brand American chocolate we get tastes a bit under pa if you ask me
too much palm oil and its gritty
And im quite found of Reaces pieces

Id want to bring home snacks of the kind we can't get here

In saying that i brought home some delicouse pomegranate chocolate

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a snack per se, and not particularly Californian (although there are at least two growers in California): wild rice. He should be able to find it at Whole Foods Market - and he should look for just wild rice, not a blend. (Wild rice is primarily raised in the Midwest, which seems to have a penchant for using Cream of Mushroom Soup in its casseroles etc, so many wild rice recipes call for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup - so asking him to also get a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom would not be out of order. It is possible to find online recipes without it too, but it takes a bit of digging!)

Blue Diamond flavored almonds. They come in probably 10-20 flavors ranging from sweet to savory, and container sizes ranging from snack bags to 2-3 pound bags. Smokehouse is classic; my favorite is wasabi. https://www.bluediamond.com/brand/snack-almonds?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1274981?cb=(California produces 80% of the world’s almonds.)

Sriracha sauce, but I’m guessing that’s pretty universal by now.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I second (or third) Snyder’s pretzels.

Girl Scout Cookies

Corn Nuts

Hostess Fruit Pies

Slim Jims

Jiffy Cornbread

Just a bit of advice…It’s best to have your affairs in order before you start partaking of American junk food. ;)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're so much better than me, melloyellow!!!! My

hubs is going to the US on Sunday and I told him to go to Costco and get a tennis bracelet!

Difference between you and me might be that you'll actually get what you asked for and my husband will just tell me that our local card doesn't work over there :lol-2: :lol-2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I second (or third) Snyder’s pretzels.

Girl Scout Cookies

Corn Nuts

Hostess Fruit Pies

Slim Jims

Jiffy Cornbread

Just a bit of advice…It’s best to have your affairs in order before you start partaking of American junk food. ;)2

great list!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone!!!! Loving all the suggestions! He made it to a Trader Joe's!!!

If you think of anything else, keep on posting! He's got a car so he can get around.

Also if you know of any good discount malls for clothes (I don't know if this is a thing or people just make it up) and any good restaurants around the area let me know in the thread!!!

Thank you!!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is a Penzeys nearby he could get some spice mixes because they are small and light so easy to transport. And, is there anything more American than ranch dressing?!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone!!!! Loving all the suggestions! He made it to a Trader Joe's!!!

If you think of anything else, keep on posting! He's got a car so he can get around.

Also if you know of any good discount malls for clothes (I don't know if this is a thing or people just make it up) and any good restaurants around the area let me know in the thread!!!

Thank you!!!

There's tons of malls but as I don't live there I have no idea. might not be in the immediate area at any rate.

For clothing though TJMaxx and Marshalls can be good. TJ's especially if its a runway store.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Clothes places for discount:
Target
Great Mall
There are also some discount clothing stores at Westgate Mall which is close by to Cupertino

Other TJ items to check out:
hatch valley green salsa!!
Mochi cake mix
Seasonings like Everything but the bagel, mushroom - umami seasoning
maple syrup

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an american abroad who goes home with an empty suitcase just for shopping, I'd say don't expect to find fancy food. My case ends up full of junk food and the rare jar of artisinal jam. America does weird flavors of candy and hot sauces really well . Cheesy pasta is ubiquitous around the world now, but kraft macaroni has fun shapes for kids, or 30 somethings like myself who refuse to grow up! Sees chocolate is VERY sweet, so depending on your tastes, it may not be something you'd appreciate. Mexican seasoning and, oddly, celery salt for bloody marys are on my list. Vitamins and drugs like paracetamol can be bought in bulk for pennies.

If your husband is anything like mine, letting him pick will end in one or 2 things that you probably could get back home anyways. Best to peruse online and give him a list!

Thank you!!!

He has to go to Lazy Dog's. It's a restaurant on Cupertino's "main street" (which is pretty much just a nicer strip mall over by Apple). Anyways, their food is amazing (e.g. sticky ribs and umami fries! With a mint strawberry shortcake for dessert!). They also have a huge selection of beers if your DH is into that.

Another place that could be fun is Marukai Market. Very clean and well-stocked store with mostly Japanese goodies. They even have a huge sushi/sashimi section in the back. There's a huge Asian population in Cupertino. So most of the eateries and shopping I used to go to when I was in CA were Asian as well. But I'm always happy to give recommendations when it comes to food!

Word of caution: in case your DH hasn't noticed by now, traffic in the Bay Area, especially the South Bay where Cupertino is, is a friggin nightmare. For example, Cupertino to the Great Mall in the city of Milpitas was like, a 20 minute drive without any traffic. Then 30-35 minutes once there's a few cars on the road. But once you hit 4pm? Woowee. 50-75 minutes easily. And this was about 5 years ago. I can only imagine traffic has gotten even worse since then.

So my point is... make sure he really plans out his itinerary beforehand. Even places that look really closeby can take forever to get to if say, there's a gnarly intersection he has to go through.

Gr, this brings back memories. So many wonderful things to do in the Bay Area. But the traffic...sweet jebus the traffic...

April20

Ideal_Rock
Dot's Pretzels! They have original (it's seasoned), southwest and honey mustard. I like them all, but I'm especially partial to the honey mustard currently.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dot's Pretzels! They have original (it's seasoned), southwest and honey mustard. I like them all, but I'm especially partial to the honey mustard currently.

Are they the fresh ones or in a pack? I love packet pretzels (Never had a fresh one)!!! We can only get them with salt here.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Right now there is big basketball finals and Bay Area Golden State Warriors are in it. So getting a warriors tshirt might be something

Sometimes they have them for good price at Old Navy stores or most malls will have a sports store but tends to be pricey

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Trader Joe's Bamba Peanut Snacks (peanut butter puff)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a snack per se, and not particularly Californian (although there are at least two growers in California): wild rice. He should be able to find it at Whole Foods Market - and he should look for just wild rice, not a blend. (Wild rice is primarily raised in the Midwest, which seems to have a penchant for using Cream of Mushroom Soup in its casseroles etc, so many wild rice recipes call for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup - so asking him to also get a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom would not be out of order. It is possible to find online recipes without it too, but it takes a bit of digging!)

Blue Diamond flavored almonds. They come in probably 10-20 flavors ranging from sweet to savory, and container sizes ranging from snack bags to 2-3 pound bags. Smokehouse is classic; my favorite is wasabi. https://www.bluediamond.com/brand/snack-almonds?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1274981?cb=(California produces 80% of the world’s almonds.)

Sriracha sauce, but I’m guessing that’s pretty universal by now.

I read today Sriracha is again in short supply so it wouldn't hurt to bring sold home if he has room
I've read the American one and the Asian one is differnt
I just checked, our local countdosn (Woolworths) has the Asian one in stock so i better get one next shop

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, since we're talking TastyKakes, I have to mention Entenmann's chocolate donuts. I agree that Trader Joes's is a great place to shop, as are TJMaxx, Marshall's and HomeGoods.

OK, since we're talking TastyKakes, I have to mention Entenmann's chocolate donuts. I agree that Trader Joes's is a great place to shop, as are TJMaxx, Marshall's and HomeGoods.

Entenmann's anything really. Do they still make the cheese danish bread or whatever it's called? Haven't seen that in foreeeever.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your you have a seriously buff sweet tooth…
Little Debbie’s Nutty Buddies, available in most any big grocery store.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results